Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simplicity  (Read 1538 times)

John R

Simplicity
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:25:41 pm »

Another in the series from the Caledon Badlands taken just this morning. The second is a copy of the original in colour, slightly brightened as suggested. But I am having a hard time with the white highlighted areas, where they struke me as bordering on overposed. But it does still look nice.

JMR
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:05:07 am by John R »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Simplicity
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:48:53 pm »

I guess the grayness is intentional, but I would like to see a slightly brighter version. Otherwise, it is a lovely example of "less is more".

John R

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:35:14 pm »

I guess the grayness is intentional, but I would like to see a slightly brighter version. Otherwise, it is a lovely example of "less is more".
Thank you for the comments Slobodan. I did overexpose by one stop, and occasionally I go as far 1-1/3. My experience with snow is that when I overexpose as is often recommended, I find the whites look too white, almost burned out, for my taste. The highlights were also difficult to maintain while maintaining the whiteness of the snow. I find the exception to be when there is a lot of other scenery in the image, like skies, trees and foliage, etc, so that the whites look palatable. I will say that I used the rear camera screen to judge the exposure and not the histogram, and I did not bracket. Maybe should have. But it could just be me preferring it this way.

JMR

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:38:17 pm »

I usually prefer B&W, but in this case, I think the colors work very well in establishing a mood.   Also, I don't think the overexposure is a problem.  If anything, it accentuates the curves in the snow, which are very pleasing to the eye.
Pages: [1]   Go Up