Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscape Photography from London for the car less  (Read 4261 times)

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
Landscape Photography from London for the car less
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:31:59 am »

Dear Friends

I've moved to London sometime ago and whilst lots of happy upheavals (marriage etc) had left me busy, things have now settled a bit such that outside of work I'm finding I want to spend more time exploring photography once more. However being in London, car less - with hire not an option, I'd like to ask the board's members if they've any destination tips for non-urban landscape photography that's achievable for a one day non-car outing.

Many thanks

Mehdi
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
Re: Landscape Photography from London for the car less
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:53:21 am »

Non-urban, eh? Simplest is Hampstead Heath. Otherwise look up the Ramblers Club website or walks.com or walking clubs for trips by train to non-urban sites. Chartwell (Churchill's family home) is in a lovely Wealden setting. Charles Darwin's House is another. Stonehenge of course. The Kent and East Sussex landscapes are heartbreakingly lovely in places (eg around Crowborough where Winnie the Pooh, Conan Doyle and I used to live). Then there's Constable's landscapes in Suffolk. Nuclear power stations at Dungeness and Sizewell B can be good subjects in themselves and are located by lovely coastal scenery. Dungeness is near the special house and garden of filmmaker Derek Jarman. Orford Ness where radar was invented is something special and off-beat.

JohnTodd

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:28:25 pm »

Mehdi,

Although you made it quite clear that hiring a car was not an option, is that just because of the difficulties of getting one in London? If so, had you considered taking a train and picking up a hire car at the station? For example, Salisbury, my old stamping ground, is only an hour and a half or so from Waterloo, and gets you right into the heart of Salisbury Plain; a car would give you enormous possibilities.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:25:05 pm »

Dear Friends

I've moved to London sometime ago and whilst lots of happy upheavals (marriage etc) had left me busy, things have now settled a bit such that outside of work I'm finding I want to spend more time exploring photography once more. However being in London, car less - with hire not an option, I'd like to ask the board's members if they've any destination tips for non-urban landscape photography that's achievable for a one day non-car outing.

Many thanks

Mehdi
Public transport works quite well.

What kit do you use?

What type of scene do you like to photograph?

I am thinking of starting photo tours/workshops in the Cotswolds, and perhaps you would like to join me?

How long a weekend do you get, which end of London are you?

For one day trips, the Chilterns are closer.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

futura

• http://www.andrew-chang.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:12 am »

I think you can probably do a day trip from Brighton and some of Eastbourne for some nice seascapes. There is a direct train from Victoria to Brighton, then I think you can bus it to Eastbourne. Beachy head is also worth visiting but not sure if there is bus that goes there.

Nacnud

• www.wild-landscapes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:48:12 am »

Wow - some fantastic images on your website!
I'm sure you will work something out....

For a start - I'd suggest checking out a few UK biassed photography forums as well as LL.
A few of the UK forums organise meets and in my experience it's normal to help other members with transport difficulties.
Here's a recent landscape meet I attended in South Wales; one of them travelled from the South East and B&B'd in Cardiff; there were definitely lift opportunities from Bristol and Cardiff, both of which you can get to easily by train.
That forum also meets closer to London; I just wanted to illustrate an extreme of what is possible :)

Urban landscapes are very easy for you......
Bath and Oxford are wonderful; and a personal favourite of mine is a day spent wandering around Bristol Docks.
All three are easy to get to for the day by train. Also, Bath and Bristol are positively relaxed after the hustle and bustle of London, a pleasant change from London!

If you have the time and money - then there are some great landscape workshops around that do not need a car to attend.
Here's a fairly extreme example; but it's probably the ultimate UK wilderness landscape workshop.
You can get the overnight sleeper train from London direct to the pick-up point being used by the workshop's boat.

franta

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:08:30 am »

I do not have a specific location to recommend, but I can suggest you consider train + bicycle. Possibly a folding bike, the (London made!) Brompton folds rather small and seems to ride quite well. I have a Dahon, which does not fold as small, but enough to be carried on a train.

Alistair

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:52:40 am »

Dear Friends

Many thanks

Mehdi

There are many locations outside London that would suit your purposes and a great train service with which to reach them. One such location is our little neck of the woods in the Chilterns. You can reach it by taking a 35 minute train journey from London Euston to Tring Station. Within a 5-8 mile walk of the station there is a fascinating canal network (Grand Union Canal - within 500 metres of Tring station), ancient forests (Ashridge), stunning bluebell forests (Spring), old windmills, great country walks and old pubs!

Here is a link to a gallery of mine which has some images from this area:

http://roseandcrownivinghoe.com/Gallery.html

If there is anything of particular interest let me know and I can give you more precise loation directions.

Regards
Alistair

Nacnud

• www.wild-landscapes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:47:52 am »

Here is a link to a gallery of mine which has some images from this area:

http://roseandcrownivinghoe.com/Gallery.html

If there is anything of particular interest let me know and I can give you more precise loation directions.

Regards
Some really inspiring images in your gallery.
A lovely end to my working week - thanks!

Alistair

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:43:39 pm »

Some really inspiring images in your gallery.
A lovely end to my working week - thanks!

Thank you. I had a quick look at your website and found some beautiful images there too. I love the waves Luskentyre on Harris and also the very simple images like Path at West Bradley Orchard where you have used light and composition to make an ordinary scene wonderful.
Alistair
Pages: [1]   Go Up