Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: North West Highlands of Scotland  (Read 2805 times)

DuncanAndison

• http://www.takenfromthetop.com/
North West Highlands of Scotland
« on: January 16, 2011, 04:16:48 am »

First up is a shot of Canisp, Suliven and Cul Mor from the Summit of Quinag - North West Highlands of Scotland. Then there are 2 from Clachtoll Bay and the last is looking down the coast from Stoer lighthouse.

You can click on the images to see larger framed shots.

Thanks for looking

Duncan

Canon 5d mkii - 100-400L @ 100mm - F/8 - ISO 100 - 1/160 sec - handheld

Canon 5dmkii - 17-40 @ 17mm - ISO 100 - f/16 - 0.4sec - tripod.

Canon 5d mkii - 17-40L @ 17mm - ISO 200 - f/16 - 1.6 sec - Tripod

Canon 5d mkii - 100-400L @ 100mm - ISO 400 - f/7.1 - 1/2500 sec - handheld

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: North West Highlands of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:13:48 am »

The first is a perfectly pleasant panorama but doesn't seem to have any particular purpose to it.
The second looks unreal to me. Is it HDR? There seems to be far too much light on the rocks, given the position of the sun.
The third, I like a lot. The small stone in the foreground makes it.
The fourth has lovely light.

FWIW

Jeremy

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:14:00 pm »

I agree with Jeremy - the first image seems a little flat.  The second image, not so sure, but I do like the last two.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DuncanAndison

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:39:49 pm »

The first is a perfectly pleasant panorama but doesn't seem to have any particular purpose to it.
The second looks unreal to me. Is it HDR? There seems to be far too much light on the rocks, given the position of the sun.
The third, I like a lot. The small stone in the foreground makes it.
The fourth has lovely light.

FWIW

Jeremy

I agree with Jeremy - the first image seems a little flat.  The second image, not so sure, but I do like the last two.

Mike.

Thank you for the feedback, really appreciated.

Point taken with the first. When I reached the summit of Quinag to take the shot the wind was very strong as a storm front was approaching, heavy rain and 80mph winds. As a result, it was camera out, grab a shot and off. The light was not at it's best for sure.

The second is a straight shot. 2 ND Grads stacked, a 2 & 3 stop. Not into HDR etc so no tinkerings in that sense so who knows :-) arrived just in the nick of time before it the sun disappeared.

The last two were more controlled shots and by that I mean I had been sitting around for a while waiting for the right moment etc and I guess as a result are less forced, if you see what I mean.

Thanks again, I find the feedback very useful in the overall learning process!

Cheers

Duncan

whvick

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 01:16:30 pm »

I have always wanted to visit there and these photos make it moreso.

Nacnud

• www.wild-landscapes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 08:45:08 am »

Hello from another Duncan :)

There's something weird about your images here on LL.
I clicked through to your website they are MUCH better.
E.G. The first one looks like there is little shadow detail (already commented by others), but the same image on your website looks significantly better.

It may be something to do with that Flash plugin - check the colour space is set up for a web friendly sRGB when used to post link outside of your website; other than than that I don't know what to suggest!
I'm not a fan of Flash plugins as they take forever to load on my 1Meg broadband (I almost gave up on yours); I've got one on my website too, but at least the menu is not in flash, so people can navigate without waiting for Flash to load.

Some very nice images on your website from one of my favourite parts of the UK - I love the wild west coast of Scotland. I was on Canna for a fortnight in Jan and will be back in May for a week in Knoydart and a week on Eigg - Woo Hoo  ;D

DuncanAndison

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 03:48:37 pm »

"I have always wanted to visit there and these photos make it moreso."

Cheers... we spend a week every Oct or Nov, beautiful place and great walking, biking and climbing!!

Hello from another Duncan :)

There's something weird about your images here on LL.
I clicked through to your website they are MUCH better.
E.G. The first one looks like there is little shadow detail (already commented by others), but the same image on your website looks significantly better.

It may be something to do with that Flash plugin - check the colour space is set up for a web friendly sRGB when used to post link outside of your website; other than than that I don't know what to suggest!
I'm not a fan of Flash plugins as they take forever to load on my 1Meg broadband (I almost gave up on yours); I've got one on my website too, but at least the menu is not in flash, so people can navigate without waiting for Flash to load.

Some very nice images on your website from one of my favourite parts of the UK - I love the wild west coast of Scotland. I was on Canna for a fortnight in Jan and will be back in May for a week in Knoydart and a week on Eigg - Woo Hoo  ;D

Thanks for the feedback.... The Flash website's days are numbered. I have been working on a new site but time for photography and websites has been short recently...... decorating projects  :-X

We spent a few nights camping around Glen Etive the other week.... before the end of Feb we will be back up again with the tent for another 3 nights :-) love winter camping trips!!

Duncan
Pages: [1]   Go Up