Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't believe my Z3200 could die that fast...  (Read 4107 times)

aaronchan

Can't believe my Z3200 could die that fast...
« on: January 15, 2011, 08:11:42 am »

I was uploading the .OMS from Hahnemuehle via USB.
After that the printer LCD whited out for a while which my screen said the the preset is uploaded correctly, it actually happened before.
So after 15 mins, I decided to unplug the power cord which I've also done it before.

And now, it won't start up again.

Does anyone (especially Ernst Dinkla) knows if there's any service menu I could maybe try: like press and hold some button when I power up the machine. and so maybe i could start from there?

I've already called my HP guy and he said he won't be here until Monday.....

Thanks
Aaron
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:16:31 am by aaronchan »

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Can't believe my Z3200 could die that fast...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:29:46 am »

Aaron,

In cases like that I check the Wiki page for Z3100 and the service manual to download there. If it is the formatter-harddisc .... which could be affected by pulling the power cord ........

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +220 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:38:19 am »

It's probably that Hitachi hard drive. It was doing the same thing. I had mine replaced and since it is attached to the logic board they just popped the whole unit in. It took about 10 minutes. This and the belts that need replacing about 3-4 years down the line are the weak links on this printer.

john

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 10:18:58 am »

so is that mean the harddrive is F-ed UP?
and they have to replace a new harddrive with some program right?
i guess it must not be an empty harddrive, otherwise I would just swap it out by myself....

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:25:56 am »

It could be the HD. The formatter card replacement is an expensive proposition. Hope you are under warranty.

I just had the service man in, only the second time since I've had the machine, because of a loud noise from the left side of the machine. Turned out not to be the HD, but a bad fan on the power supply.

John Nollendorfs

aaronchan

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:36:28 am »

I just got mind about 5 months ago
must still under warranty
i don't care what's going on
as long as he can fix it on monday then I'll be fine...........

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:41:41 am »

When you start getting these random glitches on the information panel of the printer that is suggesting either the hard drive or the logic board that it is attached to.

But before you call HP I would suggest uninstalling your driver and reload it. Rule out the driver software first.  If you have another computer I would try that first also. I don't know, I always worry about the PC that I have hooked up to mine giving it a virus or something. That logic board is very complicated and directs so many things.  I only use the pc because of Q Image.

The other day I was having this really odd situation where the Z was printing 40"x12 horizontal strips on a roll vertically no matter how the driver was set up. It was set up normally to the landscape position. Was driving me nuts. I switched the exact same file over to my Macbook Pro and it printed normally. Which leads me believe some glitch in the pc driver was happening, even though I had reinstalled it. Really odd.

My personal opinion is that these  Hitachi hard drives are flawed. I've talked to a few people on this list who have had to have them replaced. One guy had to have his replaced twice. Don't know if they are using the same hard drive now or not. Probably.

john

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 05:35:27 pm »

John:
regarding your printing problem of the narrow strips, I've had that happen before also. It happens when you select a paper size that is wider than what the printer registers of the loaded paper. When I print something that might be tricky that way, I always have the preview box checked, to show me before the printer starts.

The work around is to note what size paper the printer is recognizing (after you have loaded the paper), and choose a custom size slightly smaller.

John Nollendorfs

artobest

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 10:38:06 am »

When I had my formatter replaced because of the Hitachi HD failing, the 'new' formatter had an older model Hitachi drive on it - back to the tried and tested, I suppose. It hasn't let me down since, though I also got that bad fan in the power supply that John had - the whole of the electronics (minus formatter) had to replaced, under warranty, thankfully. I look at my Z now and am reminded of the old story about the axe. Would I own a large-format printer without a warranty? Not on your nellie.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:28:08 am »

John:
regarding your printing problem of the narrow strips, I've had that happen before also. It happens when you select a paper size that is wider than what the printer registers of the loaded paper. When I print something that might be tricky that way, I always have the preview box checked, to show me before the printer starts.

The work around is to note what size paper the printer is recognizing (after you have loaded the paper), and choose a custom size slightly smaller.

John Nollendorfs

With Qimage the printer measured size is represented in the driver menu (imperial units though) and it is easy then to  make the print page width setting slightly less. That has been my habit since I had similar issues.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up