Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silverfast Scanning question  (Read 2178 times)

Michael Bailey

Silverfast Scanning question
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:49:23 pm »

Hi.  I'm trying to scan some color negative pages using SilverFast and NegaFix on my Epson 1680 flatbed scanner. I guess you could say I want to make digital contact sheets. If I restrict the outline to only one negative, it looks great. But when I spread the scan area out to include the whole sheet, the preview immediately becomes hazy. I guess the software's trying to help me out with a new automatic adjustment, even though I haven't asked it to.

So, the question is: how can I get NegaFix to maintain its settings as I change the size of the scanning area?

I must be missing something very basic here.   

Thanks.   MB

degrub

Michael Bailey

Re: Silverfast Scanning question
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:00:22 am »

Thank you, Degrub. I won't be able to get to my computer today, but this looks like just the thing.  MB

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:55:56 am »

Degrub's response relates to batch scanning numerous images within a single scan frame on a flatbed scanner. I'm not sure this is what you are after, as interesting and useful as that is. I think in your case, all you need to do is redo a scan Preview with each change of the frame outline and the image will clarify in the refreshed preview.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:39:59 pm »

Michael,

I do this very often, what is happening is that silverfast by default tries to do an automatic adjustment to the image. You should disable it in Negafix, using "Expert" mode

The way I do it:

1. Draw a marquee around a single frame. perform auto or manual adjustments until you are satisfied.
2. Go to negafix in "expert" mode and uncheck the Auto function
3. Extend that same marquee to the whole area you want to scan. It will keep the adjustment you made in 1.
4. Scan

Attached are screen captures of Negafix. By default you get the normal view. To go to the expert mode click on the button down to the right (circled in the image)

The second image shows the expert mode (this is for AI version, SE is simpler) and in the bottom part there is the auto option

Michael Bailey

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:44:39 pm »

That's it! Thank you, Francisco.
Pages: [1]   Go Up