Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson Driver UPDATES Common UPdater 5.0  (Read 6601 times)

elolaugesen

New Epson Driver UPDATES Common UPdater 5.0
« on: January 13, 2011, 05:04:40 pm »

Will test on the weekend when I get home

Drivers & Support: Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Back to all support options for Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Download
Mac OS X Common Updater  {v.5.0:} 28-Dec-2010, 35.0MBs

Operating Systems:
Mac OS X - PowerPC, Mac OS X - Intel

Languages:
English, Français, Nederlands, Deutsch, Español, Italiano, Portugues

Products:
Epson Stylus Pro 11880, Epson Stylus Pro 3800, Epson Stylus Pro 3880, Epson Stylus Pro 4000, Epson Stylus Pro 4400, Epson Stylus Pro 4450, Epson Stylus Pro 4800, Epson Stylus Pro 4880, Epson Stylus Pro 4900, Epson Stylus Pro 7400, Epson Stylus Pro 7450, Epson Stylus Pro 7600, Epson Stylus Pro 7700, Epson Stylus Pro 7800, Epson Stylus Pro 7880, Epson Stylus Pro 7890, Epson Stylus Pro 7900, Epson Stylus Pro 9400, Epson Stylus Pro 9450, Epson Stylus Pro 9600, Epson Stylus Pro 9700, Epson Stylus Pro 9800, Epson Stylus Pro 9880, Epson Stylus Pro 9890, Epson Stylus Pro 9900

WHQL Certified:
No

File Format:
DMG

Additional Information:

Improvements:

Improved behaviour when printing on custom media.
Improved printer pool function.
Improved empty cartridge display in the driver utility panel

elolaugesen

Re: New Epson Driver UPDATES Common UPdater 5.0
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:56:07 am »

The updater did not make any difference to the way my printer works with respect to the dark areas around the image when printing with PSE9 or CS5 photoshop.

Aperture works. Lightroom works???  PSE6 works(except colours)..., epson's own drivers work..

but some profiles from some suppliers work fine.  others do not....

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:17:07 am »

I appears to be an interaction with Apple & Colorsync (when print through Apple's new printing path) involving profiles created from some profile creation software. At this point I have not heard anything as to what the difference is between these profiles. Maybe when i1Profiler gets released we may hear that.

Printer drivers do not seem to be the issue here.

msbc

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:00:19 am »

I installed this update on 10.6.6 for my Epson 3800. It also installs Epson Printer Utility 4. When I start this I get the message displayed in the attached screen shot.

Anybody else seeing this problem?

Still using the original Epson Printer Utility3 with no problems.

Mark
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:33:17 pm »

I appears to be an interaction with Apple & Colorsync (when print through Apple's new printing path) involving profiles created from some profile creation software. At this point I have not heard anything as to what the difference is between these profiles. Maybe when i1Profiler gets released we may hear that.

Printer drivers do not seem to be the issue here.

Where did you find the info on between Apple and Colorsync? Did I miss it.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:03:06 pm »

Where did you find the info on between Apple and Colorsync? Did I miss it.

I did not say I found any info. I said it appears that that is the case.

I could be that the Adobe apps that use the new printing path do something when sending image data with certain profile applications profiles and produce the scrum dot, and don't do anything with profile applications profiles that don't produce the scrum dot.

What we do know is that printing with some profile applications profiles print this scrum dot and other profile applications profiles do not print with this scrum dot. With Aperture and DPP (tappears to use the new path) I can not produce a scrum dot but with the Canon iPF driver I can not produce a color accurate print either. I am not aware of any other applications that supposedly color manage printing and use the new printing path to test.

I don't think anybody really knows what is going on, or if they do they are not talking. Could be with i1Profiler being delayed (maybe for this reason) those under a NDA cannot say.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:04:17 am »

Inkjet printing on the Mac is a real mess for a variety of reasons. The lack of reported progress is not even an NDA issue, it's just that by now the mess has become total and the engineers need time to get it sorted. I guess at some point the engineers will make things work again regardless of the politics involved.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:06:35 pm »

I installed this update on 10.6.6 for my Epson 3800. It also installs Epson Printer Utility 4. When I start this I get the message displayed in the attached screen shot.

Anybody else seeing this problem?

Still using the original Epson Printer Utility3 with no problems.

Mark

I was having this problem with version 3 on 10.6.4. I contacted Epson about it and they told me it is not expected to work and they would not be issuing a version that will work with the 3800 on OSX 10.6.x. I think the reason must be that the printer is through its life-cycle and replaced with the 3880. I do not have this problem on my 4900. All works as advertised.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 01:12:27 pm »

Inkjet printing on the Mac is a real mess for a variety of reasons. The lack of reported progress is not even an NDA issue, it's just that by now the mess has become total and the engineers need time to get it sorted. I guess at some point the engineers will make things work again regardless of the politics involved.

Edmund

Edmund, the only problem that's affected me was the inability to print profiling targets without colour management and Adobe has successfully addressed that issue with the Adobe Print Utility. I have been able to print a slew of properly colour-managed prints using canned or my own icc profiles for Epson and third-party papers using my 4900 on OSX 10.6.4, MacPro. My waste ratio due to colour-management disappointment so far is zero. So either I am extraordinarily lucky or you are exaggerating the extent of the "mess".
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

na goodman

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 02:39:44 pm »

I was having this problem with version 3 on 10.6.4. I contacted Epson about it and they told me it is not expected to work and they would not be issuing a version that will work with the 3800 on OSX 10.6.x. I think the reason must be that the printer is through its life-cycle and replaced with the 3880. I do not have this problem on my 4900. All works as advertised.
I'm using Print Utility 3 Epson 3800, 9800 10.6.6. with no problems. The 4 utility was not automatically installed when I updated to 10.6.6. I installed a newer printer on a client's system and that did install the #4 Utility - but, it was part of the print driver installation not the OS update.

CDI

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 10:44:56 am »

Just yesterday I took a brand new mac (10.6.6) and epson 3880 with the latest drivers. When printing a profiling chart via the Adobe printing app I noticed that the chart was desaturated-a good sign that the Adobe app that is supposed to bypass all color management was being blocked somehow. I went to the colorsync utility and found that the default was sRGB. For kicks I set the default to ProStarRGB (I often use this space to make sure no colors are being clipped when input or output spaces go wrong) and the chart now looks as if the full gamut of the printer is being represented. I have not yet finished with the profiling process but I expect the resulting profile will work fine.
I expect that the recent flurry of colorsync related issues is related to Apple having to resolve the merging of iOS and MacOS. Historically Apple silently slips in undocumented changes in the OS updates and patches preceding a MAJOR OS update. This tactic probably gives Apple a way to identify "pain points" and bring problems to the surface. I think it's a lousy policy because they are using end users and software developers as unpaid R&D testbeds. If you notice that MAJOR Apple updates seem to go so smoothly over the years it's only because each is preceded by two or three painful rounds of undocumented changes.
Apple once had a reputation as the platform of choice when it comes to color managed workflow but today it has become a very costly platform to support for professional imaging. Clearly a camp within Apple (probably the iOS team) has advocated a "plug and play" ie no user controls approach, and as the iOS is driving Apple's growth I am afraid that things will get worse for pro users. We are in the middle of a consumerfication movement that needs to be stopped!
I only hope that Steve Jobs can revisit some "core values" that helped build the Apple community before he signs off for good. While sexy design is great and Apple has done some good things, people at Apple need to realize that in the end, the creative community and the CONTENT we create is the true driving force behind Apple's growth. If creating great content is restricted by the platform it hurts the entire community. We need an OS that supports and enhances cross media content development. Users deserve open, standardized interfaces to core graphics services such as ICC profiling,Working Spaces, PDF Printing etc. International standards exist in these areas, but if users cannot access configurations the process implodes. Clearly Apple and the industry needs to give more attention to open standards so we can enjoy some productivity. Creative workflow today has degraded to the inefficiency of the days of film and scanning.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 07:25:58 pm »

FWIW, I'm now running 10.6.5 and just installed a "new" second-hand 9900. In the grand scheme of things in my 25-plus years on the Mac platform, this was by far the easiest printer to install the drivers and get a great print in addition to being able to turn off all color management so I could run the test sheets to custom profile. Getty my 6 year old Epson 4000 took weeks to get a great print and the Epson 9900 took but a few hours.

In less than a day and a half, I set this printer up, installed the drivers, ran a nozzle check (perfect!), ran the auto head alignment, ran several profiles and then sold a print that went quite away toward total ROI on this major expense.

I've now had it almost two weeks and in another week, should have it paid for.

Never had a printer install so easily and take so little effort to get working, except for finding four warm bodies to haul this behemoth down the narrow flight of steps into my studio!;-)
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up