Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: pc or mac  (Read 31006 times)

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Re: pc or mac
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2011, 06:55:44 pm »

now waaaaiiitttttt just a second.... you expect us to describe how "windoze sucks less", or "macs are overpriced" in 25 words or less????

;)

Gemmtech

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2011, 07:00:40 pm »

Post Scriptum: Attribute to me what I've actually stated.  Thanks.

If that's meant for me, I believe that I have.  

I think we agree on a lot regarding Apple products yet for some strange reason you think I haven't had a good overall Apple user experience?  I guess I'd ask you one last time, are you claiming that you have never had a Mac hardware failure or the Mac OS crash?  
How many Windows PCs do you currently support and which OS are running those PCs?  Do you currently have any Windows 7 machines in use?  Do you personally use Windows 7?  if yes, what brand PC and have you found Windows 7 to be stable and reliable?  

Jeff Schewe asked if the app isn't an issue which OS would I choose to boot up in and I answered it honestly, it depended on the App, because Word isn't Word and Quicken isn't Quicken etc.  I also stated there were many things I liked about the Mac OS.  I currently own a lot of Apple products and I would definitely buy another IPod, not sure about the IPhone because so many smart phones have come out that are equally good, I bought mine because I needed global coverage and Verizon really sucks for global devices, T-Mobiles the best and then ATT.  Oh no, I gave a personal opinion about cell phones and cell service!  ;D

Gemmtech

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2011, 07:15:29 pm »

"Do you suppose you guys could stick to one topic per post? I mean, really...you guys are writing a novel every time you post. Less is more, ya know? Pick a nugget and keep it to 25 words or less or I'll quit playing..."

I agree, especially since we are regurgitating the same stuff over and over again.

Maybe I can end it very succinctly, I have been building high-end PCs ($5000.00-$20,000.00) using Windows since 1998. I have been using Macs since 2006 and I find Apple products the majority of the time to be of high quality, reliable and stable products.  I love my MBP 15", IPod and IPhone though some features not so much (mute with my cheek).  I am OS agnostic, meaning I believe Mac OS and Windows are both equally stable and reliable, especially if we are discussing Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.  I believe that Windows has to do a lot more than Mac OS, it has to support a lot more hardware/software and I do find it overall more user friendly, but NOT by a huge margin.  I believe that the hardware and other software are equally important to the overall stability and reliability of the computer.  I don't believe I would buy another Mac because I can buy and or build a machine that is of higher quality being overall more stable and reliable due to the higher quality hardware.  It is possible I would buy another IMac because of what it is (all in one), but I'm not sure because as with audio/visual and kitchen appliances it's nicer to have separates when something breaks down.  Using a MBP works better under Mac OS than with Windows.  

I don't believe that one individual's user experience tells much about the overall quality, stability or reliability of a product, but rather a large collection of individual experiences.  That is the basis of my facts I have set-forth.   

I think that's it..................................

Pascalf can have the last word, I don't think there's anymore to say?  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:26:01 pm by Gemmtech »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2011, 07:27:57 pm »

Maybe I can end it very succinctly...

Good job, but...by my word count, you're at 258 words (down considerably from previous posts–good try) using my Word Mac 2008 (v 12.1.0) which works just fine on 10.6.6.

:~)

BTW: this is on my older MacPro, I have Office 2011 on my MBP...just saying :~)

Farmer

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2011, 09:07:27 pm »

A closet MSFT fan, eh, Schewe? ;p

BTW, I sent you a couple of emails - don't know how often you check your PG email.
Phil Brown

Schewe

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2011, 09:50:17 pm »

A closet MSFT fan, eh, Schewe? ;p

Fan? Not so much but no choice...ya gotta have Word if you write books for pub. Publishers don't really accept manuscripts in Pages yet (a lot of writers are on Mac and editors on Windows–wonder that that means?)

BTW, I sent you a couple of emails - don't know how often you check your PG email.

Only a couple of times per hour but I've been dealing with a LOT of emails ya know? And...your screen name and email address don't match so I didn't catch it. I have now responded...

Gemmtech

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2011, 10:23:43 pm »

I saw Jeff carrying a sign "Bill Gates for President". Lol

Jeff, Matte or gloss screen for color accuracy and why?

I read somewhere a technical paper why gloss screens are
Better for color accuracy, obviously you being in the busines
Would know the technical reasons

Farmer

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »

Fan? Not so much but no choice...ya gotta have Word if you write books for pub. Publishers don't really accept manuscripts in Pages yet (a lot of writers are on Mac and editors on Windows–wonder that that means?)

My fiancee is a writer - she'd rather then accepted handwritten ;p

Only a couple of times per hour but I've been dealing with a LOT of emails ya know? And...your screen name and email address don't match so I didn't catch it. I have now responded...

Much appreciated, Jeff.  As I said in the email, very generous!
Phil Brown

Schewe

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2011, 11:56:05 pm »

Jeff, Matte or gloss screen for color accuracy and why?

I recently replaced a MBP that had a glossy screen-which if you weren't in a darkened room really sucked (like at airport). My current MBP (about 2 months old) I got with the matte high rez screen because I spend a lot of time working in airports :~) although the darn desktop is really small running at 1680x1050.

But I would NEVER make final color/tone decisions on a laptop. Mac's MBP are white LED and not up to real standards for profiling and accuracy. I use my workstation which has NEC displays with SpectraView for calibration. Those I trust.

Gemmtech

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:13 am »

"But I would NEVER make final color/tone decisions on a laptop."

I agree and I wasn't inferring laptops, but rather large scale monitors.  I agree that the glossy screens look fine in dark rooms, but I had also discovered (for me anyhow) that there is a psychological component to looking at a glossy screen without seeing a reflection.  I have glossy screens at home including a 52" Samsung LED TV, then a friend of mine was talking to me about his decision to buy a matte screen because of the reflection and glare and all of a sudden I started noticing it again, so I ended up buying a Sony LED TV.  I think you can train your brain to see past the reflections. 

BTW, I like MS Office a lot, I think all the programs work great!  And I don't believe there's another office suite out there that compares.  I doubt most people use 10% of the features in MS Office, sort of like their brains!  8)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2011, 03:37:07 am »

I doubt most people use 10% of the features in MS Office, sort of like their brains!  8)
If your brain is big enough, 10% is all you need.

Jeremy

Pascalf

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2011, 11:40:35 am »

About the original post:

which are the best pc workstations at the moment and how they work compared to the 12 core macs.
same questions about laptops. i am thinking about to switch back from mac to pc, beeing angry about the more and more enclosing  politics of apple, so first time i consider to change to pc. ( even with iphone/ipad. )

It would seem that the basic consensus is:
- get good hardware
- use the operating system you want
- any operating system can be made nice, fast and stable on good hardware
- there will be more choices, at better prices, if you get a good basic computer and add items [like more RAM] yourself
- get a computer that can be easily expanded/ repaired by you, the owner
- an easily upgradable computer will be a better investment

My opinion, for portables:
. . . , I would suggest:
- stay away from Dell, particularly for portables/ laptops.  , . . .
- do consider the higher end Toshiba and the higher end Sony Vaio: well built, wise decisions about ports and supported standards, superb compatibility, very nice displays [with quite decent colour, though avoid the gloss if you can], and very good reliability.  Ages very well, these machines are known to give MacBooks a run for their money, and generally cost slightly less, people tend to keep them around like Apple users keep their older portables: they pass them on to their children/ spouse for a few more years of decent use.  And the video card compatibility means great ease in using a good external monitor, compared to lesser brands.

Enjoy your new computer, whatever it will be.

Let us know how it works out, "rainer_v".

Regards,
Pascal

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2011, 12:21:48 pm »

whew....is it finally over?  I just knew that Jerry Springer would be chiming in at any minute.   ;D

Gemmtech

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:12 pm »

What's wrong with a friendly debate?

Oh and one point missing, make sure the software you want to use will run on the OS of your choice! 

Schewe

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:04 pm »

What's wrong with a friendly debate?

Absolutely nothing as long as you can stay within 25 words...
(ok, 50 words on a web forum!)

Gemmtech

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2011, 10:47:36 pm »

I never had a word count limit on the debate time, just a time limit  ;)  I'm trying to stay within the 50 words, it's very difficult.  26 here! 

Schewe

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42:32 pm »

I'm trying to stay within the 50 words, it's very difficult.  26 here! 

See, it's tough being succinct, in't it?
(but it makes you a better writer!!!)

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2011, 01:05:51 am »

There is nothing wrong with a friendly debate.  I actually enjoyed reading this discussion.  I am not going to state which person I feel made the best, most logical presentation.  I will state my opinion on pc vs mac.  Use whichever you are comfortable with that does the job that you need it to do.  Stating which one is the best is like stating which is the best cola- Pepsi or Coke.  So, which is the best-PC or Mac?  My answer is: Yes

Gemmtech

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2011, 07:42:06 am »

"See, it's tough being succinct, in't it?
(but it makes you a better writer!!!)"

It can, I'm hoping my 2nd book is a best seller!  Sometimes writing in great detail is necessary, technical manuals, assembly instructions etc.

"I will state my opinion on pc vs mac.  Use whichever you are comfortable with that does the job that you need it to do.  Stating which one is the best is like stating which is the best cola- Pepsi or Coke.  So, which is the best-PC or Mac?  My answer is: Yes"

I totally agree with you. A lot of the user friendliness issues are muscle memory.  However there are certain programs that are better under one OS than another, I actually didn't realize programs were different until I started using a Mac.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2011, 06:46:05 pm »

Twenty years ago I bought my first Mac, it had a GUI interface, and mouse. PCs at the time had MS DOS. Using a mouse for a PC user was heresy.

Give a 12 year old PC user a 20 year old Mac and PC and I'm sure they would have not trouble using the Mac and would struggle to use the PC.

The best thing going for PC users is that Bill Gates is one of the greatest business men that have ever lived.

Because Microsoft develop for Mac and PC they have copied all that is good about Macs including the GUI interface, consistent user interfaces and keystrokes.

Bill Gates introduction of the Office bundle has seen competing software like Word Perfect virtually disappear. Adobe has copied this model to see off nearly all competition.

Microsoft's developer friendly environment has seen all the niche software development done on PCs.

Microsoft can create IE and give it way for free killing it's opposition.Remember Netscape?

Bill Gates bought up small software companies with consummate ease and when Macintosh was having financial problems he bought up their programmers.

looking back at my Mac Plus I can see that the real difference in twenty years has been that PCs have become another kind of Mac and that Bill Gates has been a brilliant business man.

Cheers,

Tom Brown
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up