Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone sprayed Timeless with a Wagner?  (Read 13183 times)

Garnick

Re: Anyone sprayed Timeless with a Wagner?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 03:14:36 pm »

Hi Rob,

I notice you are using the HVLP model of the Wagner Control Sprayer.  I looked into this a couple of years ago and the general consensus was that an HVLP gun would do the best job.  it looks as though I'll probably be ordering from the U.S. if I decide to go that route, so I want to make sure I have the best unit.  However, it seems that some are producing good results with the non HVLP model as well. 

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Light Seeker

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 03:53:04 pm »

The Wagner unit you are speaking of must be a U.S. product, since the Canadian Home Depot site doesn't list any Wagner products at all.  I've also checked the Canadian Tire site and this model is not listed there.  Only available in the U.S. I imagine.  Please advise otherwise.

You can buy the Wagner Control Spray Double Duty at either Home Depot or Rona. . . .

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/wagner_controlspray_double_duty_spray,303685,747.html

I would have preferred the Control Spray Max, but I could not find it anywhere. The Double Duty has the turbine in the gun, rather than separate. That means it's heavier, and you have to worry about clogging the filters in the gun. I have not been able to find the filters locally, so I have had to get creative and find alternate material. I'm still testing that out.

Terry.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 04:19:28 pm »

.... I have not been able to find the filters locally, so I have had to get creative and find alternate material. I'm still testing that out.

Terry.

Try, www.gleempaint.com

http://www.gleempaint.com/0417323.html

You'll need two filters----one for each side of the Wagner Control Spray gun. 

na goodman

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »

You can order the filters directly from Wagner. They are really inexpensive.

Robcat

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 06:19:14 am »

Hi Gary
The Wagner unit you are speaking of must be a U.S. product, since the Canadian Home Depot site doesn't list any Wagner products at all.  I've also checked the Canadian Tire site and this model is not listed there.  Only available in the U.S. I imagine.  Please advise otherwise.
Sorry, not sure about Canada. The Wagner sprayer also is available from US Amazon but not from Canadian Amazon. Can you order from US?
Wouldl certainly advise HVLP for this purpose.
Good luck.
Rob P

Light Seeker

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »

Try, www.gleempaint.com

http://www.gleempaint.com/0417323.html

You'll need two filters----one for each side of the Wagner Control Spray gun. 

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it's $19.50 to ship them. I had called Wagner in the past, and shipping was around $30 with them, so this is better. However, I'm going to continue testing my alternate filter material further.

Terry.

deanwork

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 11:15:08 am »

Yes I have and it works great.  I've used one for years. I just did about 9 -  44x40s in like 20 minutes. I think mine cost like $69.00 at Home Depot.

I keep the container on the unit in a bucket of hot water when not actually spraying. You can use an aquarium heater for that if you have long periods of work but usually not necessary. Warm acrylic spray is much less likely to gum up.

What I do is lay my prints at a slight angle and spray one light coat going one way, then a second coat going the other way, and finally a third coat at a diagonal. Personally I only wait about a minute between coats. It produces 100% perfect results. However I think you might get away with two thicker sloppy coats and still have good results.

The idea is to always keep the sprayer moving, never stop it over the print. Gently move it from side to side and in a wave motion that continues beyond the edge of the canvas.

I can hang mine up vertically to dry within a few minutes.

I clean the Wagner with a diluted alcohol/water about 1:10 by spraying it trough the system at the end of the job. I also always take the nozzle out and make sure it is clean.

The Fuji sprayers area really the way to go if you do a lot of canvas work every week. They sell is a much superior unit with greater spray control and power, but cost about $500.00. The BC people have it on their website to look at.

john

Garnick

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 01:16:12 pm »

Thanks Rob,

I just had a call from my wife. I had written down all of the info from their US site. She was in a Lowe's store this morning and found it there, although it's not shown at all on their Canadian website. $99.00, so I might give it a try if I can find a suitable location.

By the way, is anyone using one of these units to spray Eco Print Shield. If so, what dilution and how are the results?

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

ftbt

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31:21 pm »

I read this on another site:

"Hahnemuhle repackages ECO print Shield. So does Moab, Breathing Color, Lexjet and just about everyone else."

I don't know if it is true. However, I sprayed 2 canvases last weekend with a Wagner using Glamour II. 40% distilled water (luke-warm) to 60% laminate. I adjusted the pressure on the compressor and the gun to minimum in order to yield a fine vertical spray. I alternated two horizontal and two vertical coats with about 15 minutes drying/set-up time between each coat. The canvases were sprayed completely flat on a table and I sprayed downwards on the canvases (you can rotate the Wagner's pick-up tube in the can for downward spraying). They came out perfect.   

Light Seeker

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 12:54:07 am »

What I do is lay my prints at a slight angle and spray one light coat going one way, then a second coat going the other way, and finally a third coat at a diagonal. Personally I only wait about a minute between coats. It produces 100% perfect results. However I think you might get away with two thicker sloppy coats and still have good results.

John, are the second and/or third coats thicker than the first one?

Terry.

deanwork

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 10:47:09 am »

No, I do three light coats. You could probably even get away with one thick one but I prefer to use the three light coats because it dries very fast that way and allows me to hang them up vertically on a rack in a less than 5 min. The Timeless varnish seems to cover a little better to me than the diluted Glamor 2.

john

Light Seeker

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 03:49:40 pm »

John, that helps a great deal.

I've been spraying 3 sets of 2 light coats (6 total) based on some advice I had read. I'm still relatively new to the Wagner, and to spraying, and I've noticed quite a swing in the amount of Timeless used. Now that I'm getting better, and more consistent, at setting the gun I had wondered where in that spectrum I should target. I was a actually a bit concerned about not putting enough coating on, although everything has come out looking great.

I will target my spray to be slightly denser than the lightest setting I can achieve with the Wagner, and go with three coats. That will save me a great deal of time and effort.

Thanks.

Terry.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up