Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone sprayed Timeless with a Wagner?  (Read 13184 times)

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Anyone sprayed Timeless with a Wagner?
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:24:52 am »

I'm moving from the evil world of rolled coatings into the brave new world of sprayed coatings. I'm starting low key though, with a Wagner Control Spray Max based on various threads in this forum.

I'm wondering if anyone's used the Wagner in combination with BC's new Timeless coating. Any tips or tricks? Settings on the sprayer that work well for you?

Thanks!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

biedron1

Re: Anyone sprayed Timeless with a Wagner?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:58:37 am »

I have been using this combination for a little while now. Seems to work very well. I might guess a high-end HVLP system would be better in a production environment. Not sure I can provide too many tips beyond the usual advice to begin spraying before you pass over the print and continue beyond the edge of the print, keeping a constant distance from the print (I might guess I spray from about 12" away). I use both horizontal and vertical passes on each coat.

I thin the Timeless (I use the matte version) about 10% with water. I tape the photo on an oversize piece of board and tape the board an easel-like fixture canted about 15 deg from vertical. Immediately after spraying I remove the board from the easel and lay it horizontal.

I use a round spray pattern, and I set the nozzle to give a relatively minimal flow. Usually I do 3 relatively thin coats - I try not to really flood it on since that increases the risk of runs. Matte will hide most imperfections in spraying; I haven't used the gloss Timeless, but I know from other spray-painting work that gloss will generally reveal the slightest imperfection in technique.

But really the best advice I could give would be to practice first on a small/scrap print to develop your own feel for spraying.

Bob  

fetish

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:36:37 am »

I used control max with galmour 2, liquitex, golden, aquathane and giclee sheild 2. havent tried timeless 2 but from what i've read, it's like a thinned version of glamour 2.

Spraying techniques across all of them are quite similar. I mount the print on a large board (i use corrugated polycarbonate panels) with tape and set it up about 10-15degrees off vertical not unlike what beidron1 described.

using the lowest pressure setting on the control max, adjust the flow rate until it's just dispensing a thin fine mist. i use vertical oriented spraying pattern and do a quick 1st coat about 12-15 inches away.
the 1st coat is key and you'd rather have a thin coat than a thick one. i'll do a 2nd and 3rd coat consecutively, all the time doing quick, thin layers. be very careful not to to go too slow or get too near the canvas or bubbles may appear and screw up the whole print.
after the 3rd coat dries (about 30mins later) i start doing the 4th-5th-6th coats, which can utilize a higher flow rate to produce a thicker protective coat after your first few passes 'primed' the surface.

so far i've been able to produce wonderful 60"x90" canvasses this method after some practice.

neile

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:17:48 am »

Thank you both for the details. That's exactly what I was after! Will have to give it at try this weekend.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

falthj

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 09:13:18 am »

Two cents worth...

It would be more desirable if you could attach the item you want to spray, on a vertical surface rather than any surface that may be slanted, this way, you are more apt to keep the spray nozzle parallel to the item your are spraying and thus a better chance at obtaining a more even coating.

I'd use a vertical 'fan' spray pattern rather than a 'spot' pattern, to avoid dreaded spot build-up of the spray product, leading to a very uneven coating...

neile

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:28:13 pm »

Well, I just finished spraying my second canvas with the Wagner, and wow! :o I can't believe I wasted my time with the rollers before. SOOOOO easy! And I was just using a makeshift "spray booth" out of some leftover cardboard.

One question for folks: have you found a lid to go on the Wagner metal can? It seems dumb to have to pour the Timeless back into its original container after every spray and then clean out the can. Ideally I'd just slap a lid on the can and only have to clean the spray gun.

Neil
Neil Enns

ftbt

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:24:35 pm »

Good question. I just ordered the Control Spray Max. You may want to give these folks a call and see what they say. Let us know what they say:

http://www.gleempaint.com/control-spray-parts.html

They stock a lot of replacement parts.

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 11:30:52 pm »

I just use some cling wrap and a rubber band, does the trick.

neile

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40:45 pm »

Goodman, how often do you spray? I expect to be using it pretty infrequently and don't really want the stuff to go bad. Am concerned that cling wrap + rubber band won't be air tight enough.

I wonder how air tight the can is if you just leave the gun on it?

Neil
Neil Enns

Light Seeker

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:29:45 pm »

Well, I just finished spraying my second canvas with the Wagner, and wow! :o I can't believe I wasted my time with the rollers before. SOOOOO easy! And I was just using a makeshift "spray booth" out of some leftover cardboard.

Neile, just curious. . .    did you end up using the fan or the round spray pattern?

I'm going to give this a go tonight.

Terry.

neile

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 06:26:02 pm »

Vertical fan pattern.

Neil
Neil Enns

ftbt

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:38 pm »

... I expect to be using it pretty infrequently and don't really want the stuff to go bad. Am concerned that cling wrap + rubber band won't be air tight enough.

What about a Ball-Mason caning jar? I sort of remember them with a metal lid-w-a rubber gasket.

neile

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »

Sure, that would store the goo long-term, but the goal here is to not have to actually take it out of the spray gun can. I want to leave it in there and just cap it off. If I did a mason jar I might as well just pour it back into the original Timeless bucket.

Neil
Neil Enns

ftbt

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 07:40:38 pm »

The caning jar would probably work better with Glamour2, which you mix-w-distilled water. Call up Wagner.

na goodman

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:26 pm »

I've left some in there for 3-4 weeks and its just fine. I just stir it up a bit before I spray. I use Glamour, and never have had a problem with it so far. I don't think I would leave it attached to the gun - but that's just me.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »

Neil just wants to leave the goo in the Wagner tank and put a proper lid on it.  No gun--take it out and clean it.  but next time he wants to use it, he's just about ready to go.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

fetish

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 10:20:53 am »

spraying feels easy when compared to rolling, but the bond between the laminate and the canvas itself is not as strong as one you get from rolling.
i had cases where the sprayed laminate layer peel right off the canvas when i tried to remove debris caught in the layer, much like how sunburnt skin peels off your newly grown skin.
this never happens with the pour-and-roll method. the laminate and the canvas are pretty much one.

tyleerb

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 09:13:08 am »

I've actually left the gun with timeless in the metal container for 3-5 weeks and it held up. I did this after cleaning nothing, just spray, put it down and leave. Albeit I had to do some serious cleaning of the whole gun assembly the next time I wanted to use it but the timeless held up fine. I would suggest just cleaning the gun and removing that little takeup tube and you would be fine leaving it but I doubt it's any more airtight than the plastic wrap and a rubber band.

Robcat

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 09:11:13 pm »

I just got the Wagner Control Spray HVLP a couple weeks ago and used it w. Timeless. Worked well undiluted---the unit comes with a calibrated drip cup that lets you check viscosity, and it showed no need to thin (w. is also what BC recommends). Piece of cake to use compared to rolling, which I had been doing. Like previous poster said, I can't believe I didn't do this before. Plus the darn thing was only $68 at Home Depot.

Regarding cleaning, as an ex-house painter, don't put your sprayer away dirty. This is the easiest sprayer to clean I've seen---it has hardly any parts. Mine came with 2 cups. I used the smaller one for the Timeless and put some warm soapy water in the other. When I was done with the canvases, I switched the cups and (outside) sprayed the soapy water through for a bit, then washed the 3 (count 'em) nozzle parts, the pickup tube and the gun in the sink.

Garnick

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 02:31:51 pm »

The Wagner unit you are speaking of must be a U.S. product, since the Canadian Home Depot site doesn't list any Wagner products at all.  I've also checked the Canadian Tire site and this model is not listed there.  Only available in the U.S. I imagine.  Please advise otherwise.

Thanks,
Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up