Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do you buy your MF cameras, digital backs, lenses?  (Read 2661 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
Where do you buy your MF cameras, digital backs, lenses?
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:13:10 am »

Where do you buy your MF cameras, digital backs, lenses?

Is there an advantage to buy MF at your local store vs buying equipment online? I know equipment is slightly more expensive at the local camera dealership but they offer localized services. What are your thoughts?

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: Where do you buy your MF cameras, digital backs, lenses?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:58:49 am »

Shameless plug for my favourite drug dealers , err, I mean camera store for over 20 years, conveniently named The Camera Store for those with short memories. Great people, very good prices, little bullshit.  It's one of those places where the real photographers (and those who'd like to be) come to hang out, play with the gear, talk, etc.

I would almost move back to Calgary because of them.

www.thecamerastore.com

- N.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:00:35 am by ndevlin »
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:45 pm »

Is there an advantage to buy MF at your local store vs buying equipment online? I know equipment is slightly more expensive at the local camera dealership...

Generally speaking this is not the case. Most digital backs, bodies, and lenses are distributed primarily through dealers rather than big-box stores. Pricing is often less when buying through a dealer as they follow the various promotions, bundles, trade-ins, demos, etc to get the lowest price on a particular product.

Regardless though anyone selling this equipment purely on price is doing you a grave disservice as your dealer should fill two very important roles:
1) pre-sales advice: it takes a lot of time, conversation, and knowledge to ensure a customer is buying the best equipment for their needs and budget and is allocating their resources in the most logical way (e.g. save money by buying a older generation lenses and use that money instead on an accessory which will help them more)
2) post-sales support: a dealer is meant to be your first line of defense for any questions, concerns, problems, repairs etc.

If you have a dealer within a half-day drive of you it just makes sense to talk to them first and see if you feel they will be a good match for your needs (partly professional - do they know their stuff? partly personal - do you like them?) you should go through them. If it's more than a half day drive then my (highly biased and very self serving) feeling is that with tools like video-conferencing, screen sharing, and cell phones always-on that anyone within overnight shipping of you is just about the same "distance" away.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:10:20 pm by dougpetersonci »

pixjohn

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:53:26 pm »

I have to say I purchased my Leaf system through Calumet and got no help with major problems. I would personally never use them again.

I do want to say Capture Integration stepped up and helped me out. I did not even purchase from them but, they where great.  If, When I purchase a new system I would call them first.

WarrenRoos

• Roos Photo Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 04:09:31 pm »

Where are you..Buy from some one close to you. You will need support and that's key! You will also need bigger computers, more ram...more more more! Is a dog a better choice?

I use Derrick Brown @ Image Link Corp in Lexington, MA. He held my hand (over a dozen) years ago when I bought my scanning back.

You are not just getting a MF camera you are getting a whole system (or you will be or allreay have all the other stuff)

I only use a MF system because it looks the part....In the studio. Ummm.
[span style='color:red'][url=http://www.

haring

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:30:38 pm »

Thanks!  I live in Miami, FL.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 04:57:27 pm »

You're kidding, right?  You should be bugging Doug over at Capture Integration right now...   ;D

haring

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »

Thanks Doug!  You Rock!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 06:06:39 pm »

Ha go figure.

Maybe you can point yourself out in our time lapse taken from our Miami Studio:
http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/01/12/happy-new-year/

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:21:42 am »

From the perspective of a supplier, we feel there are a couple of important reasons to consider the non-mail-order MF source and Doug mentioned some:
1. Pre-sales advice: These are professionally-priced systems and you may prefer a source that can help navigate through the equipment selection to find the appropriate solution for you, including lenses and accessories that make performing your task easier or more efficiently. Don't settle for the shoulder-shrug when you ask about a specific photographic function or feature.

2. Post-sales support: When something is not working right, or how you think it should be working, owners want to call someone that can
a.) understand the issue,
b.) resolve it immediately, or
c.) get on the solution like a dog on a bone until it is resolved.

That is tough to measure on the front-end when you are evaluating who to buy from because the value only reveals itself when you need it. If you haven't bought from the best source, then you know the drill...

3. Do your homework and get a hands-on demo: Over and over we hear "but I heard that (fill in the blank) said (fill in the blank) and that this is better because of (fill in the blank)." To separate fact from fiction, you must perform your due diligence and see for yourself how the camera FEELS in your hand, how the lenses operate with auto-focus (or manual), and how the images are processed in the style and environment of your particular studio or workflow. There simply is no substitute for a hands-on demonstration from a qualified operator.

If the source you are considering has not asked sufficient questions regarding the above, do you think they will perform any better after the purchase?

Shoot and be happy!

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up