Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoKit Sharpener 2  (Read 47435 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: PhotoKit Sharpener 2
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2011, 01:23:44 pm »

Opened Photoshop, activated PKS 2 and then opened an image file to test it. Again, everything seemed to be working properly, except that the image appeared to be rather over sharpened. I'm comparing this to what I'm used to seeing with PKS 1 and the effect is definitely much more noticeable.

Exactly what sharpening effect and on what sort of source image? How were you evaluating the results? In the PKS 2 Preview zoomed out or zoomed to 100%?

As for the speed, what cpu, what os and how much ram. If you are running PKS 2 as a 64-bit plug-in on a 64-bit os, yes, I would expect things to run faster (which is a good thing).

Garnick

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2011, 11:20:14 pm »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, but everything seems to be working OK now after reinstalling.  I really do believe I screwed up on the first attempt, so now all is well.  I ran my test image through PKS-1 again and then PKS-2.  Little difference, except that in certain areas there was a slight bit more hallowing in PKS-2.  Almost negligible though, so I'm good with it and I really like the new UI and the level of automation involved.  I use it mostly for output sharpening, so I haven't tried the other two modes yet.  Definitely a very worthwhile upgrade!

Thanks again,
Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Schewe

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2011, 11:30:39 pm »

Definitely a very worthwhile upgrade!

I'm glad you are back on track...thanks for the kind words, we appreciate it!

Be sure to check out some of the new Creative Sharpeners. Some pretty cool things there.

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2011, 07:22:37 am »

Yes, an excellent upgrade, well worth the wait!

Ray McGuinness

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2011, 09:29:09 pm »

I finally decided to try v2 but the installer crashed every time I tried it. I emailed to support this Sunday evening about the problem and included the crash log (I am on a Mac). Within one hour, I received a reply diagnosing the problem (Spell Catcher was the culprit). This is remarkable customer support.

Schewe

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2011, 10:10:18 pm »

This is remarkable customer support.

Yeah, this is a known issue using Vice X by Mindvision and we're working with them to address it. But it's not in our direct control so we can't fix the issue, just warn users of how to work around it. Glad you are up and running...

D_Clear

• DERMOT CLEARY PHOTOGRAPHER
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »

Hi Guys,

This may sound like a really basic question, but I want to test PKS2 on a file I've already retouched, or am I obliged to use it from RAW onwards?

The reason I ask... I have downloaded/installed the product for the first time and I'm unable to figure out how to get it to launch. There is no sign of it anywhere.

I'm using CS5 on a current MacPro and have attempted both 32/64 bit and cold started as well.

Any assistance is appreciated.

DC
www.dermotcleary.com
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:52:40 pm by D_Clear »
DC

Schewe

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2011, 10:54:26 pm »

The reason I ask... I have downloaded/installed the product for the first time and I'm unable to figure out how to get it to launch. There is no sign of it anywhere.

What computer, what OS? When you have an image open in Photoshop, you should be able to go to Automate>PhotoKit Sharpener and select either capture, creative or output sharpener...you can also click on the Help button (once you get the delog open) and read about how to use PKS 2 (which I highly suggest). The manual is also in the 'pks_help' folder which is inside the Photoshop/Plug-ins/Automate/PG Toolbox Plug-in Module folder...

You do have an image open in Photoshop, right? An RGB or Grayscale image needs to be open in order to run PKS2.

D_Clear

• DERMOT CLEARY PHOTOGRAPHER
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40:48 pm »

Thanks I have it now. I kept looking for it in filters instead of automate.

I wasn't able to see a description in the manual of how to actually launch it.

I will enjoy testing it.

Another question...

The majority of my work goes through a lot of post as such I've been in the habit of avoiding any sharpening at the RAW processing stage. In this type of situation (heavy pushing in PS) and to make the best of your product would you recommend skipping the capture sharpening stage and 'catching-up' later in the two subsequent stages?

(Please don't tell me to test-it both ways, it's not uncommon for us to have 20+ layers on a P65 file and I frankly will not have the practical opportunity to do it twice.)

thanks in advance

DC
www,dermotcleary.com
DC

Schewe

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2011, 12:10:38 am »

Another question...

RTFM...when you've done that, come back with your questions...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2011, 10:09:31 am »

As I've said elsewhere, this is one manual that is really worth reading.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

kenben

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2011, 10:50:33 am »

Jeff I have just finished reading your book Image Sharpening.Very good read.I would like to know if  PKS 2 is the product of what you wrote in your book.Would it be more advisable to purchase PKS2 as to creating all the actions you talk about.

Schewe

« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2011, 12:13:39 pm »

Jeff I have just finished reading your book Image Sharpening.Very good read.I would like to know if  PKS 2 is the product of what you wrote in your book.Would it be more advisable to purchase PKS2 as to creating all the actions you talk about.

Yes...but actually I only revised and updated Bruce's original book. Bruce was approached to do the book by Peachpit and since he had created PhotoKit Sharpener he used what he had learned to write it. So, yes, many of the concepts in the book are from the "Sharpening Workflow" which resulted from PhotoKit Sharpener.

I'm a little reluctant to offer much guidance regarding buying PKS 2. Obviously, I would say yes, buy it! But I would suggest checking out the manual and trying the demo (7 days) and see if you think it'll make your life easier...

makaphoto

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2011, 01:48:32 pm »

Hi Jeff

it's nice to have a full resolution preview now in PKS 2. But, since you mention Bruce Fraser's book why don't you offer the possibility of a 50% view. According to Bruce this shows the sharpening effect more accurately with a lot of displays. Maybe this accounts for the odd complaint here that the picture in preview looks oversharpened.

Regards
Martin

Schewe

« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2011, 02:49:27 pm »

it's nice to have a full resolution preview now in PKS 2. But, since you mention Bruce Fraser's book why don't you offer the possibility of a 50% view. According to Bruce this shows the sharpening effect more accurately with a lot of displays. Maybe this accounts for the odd complaint here that the picture in preview looks oversharpened.

Well, I think you need to reread what Bruce wrote (I'm pretty familiar with his writings ya know). Bruce thought that the ONLY view that showed an accurate representation of the sharpened pixels was at 100%. That shows one image pixel per screen pixel. He indicated you could get a slightly more predictive view of how an image would print by setting the zoom to 50% for halftone and 25% for inkjet and contone prints. But those zooms will not be accurate because they rely on Photoshop's screen dithering and your display is a low resolution device.

Trying to make any analysis of the effect of sharpening at less than 100% is therefore something we decided not to do.

kenben

« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2011, 02:58:00 pm »

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

AJPacheco

« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2011, 08:57:16 am »

I have just recently upgraded and I beleive the improvements are very well implemented,especially the user guide/manual.
I had used the previous version(s) only now & then as i often felt I could achieve better results with some other methods.
Must admit, the simple text file that comes along for the ride when you download the installer(PKS-READ-ME-WIN.txt) had me thrown a bit with its  Kindergarten style of writing. The user guide is a lot different...very clear and 40 pages of valuable insight;even for those already familiar with the previous versions. Makes you feel like Bruce Fraser(may he rest in peace) is talking one-on-one with the reader.

Due to a stroke I have intense aphasia, however I'm still able to read and comprehend the instructions and examples. (took me a few days but anybody else should be able to fly through it)
More of this sort of work is sorely needed.
I had been using the Detail settings in Camera Raw to do almost all of my sharpening and now I'm going to modify some presets to turn it all off and try Photokit  as the sole sharpening boss.

Not sure yet if I can disable output sharpening via a preset but will find out this week.

Schewe

« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2011, 02:51:23 pm »

Makes you feel like Bruce Fraser(may he rest in peace) is talking one-on-one with the reader.

the current PKS 2 manual is an odd document...part Bruce Fraser, part Mac Holbert and part me. The layout and design is from Martin Evening (who whipped up the InDesign file and fixed what the rest of us had screwed up). And yes, the Read Me is simplistic but for a good reason...

Not sure yet if I can disable output sharpening via a preset but will find out this week.

By your mention of "Preset" I'm assuming you are using Lightroom? If so, you can enable off turn off output sharpening in Lightroom's Export or Print module and yes you can make presets for that. Note that if you use PKS 2 for capture and creative sharpening via Photoshop and bring the image back into Lightroom for printing, we have a workflow in the manual that covers that. It's an either or situation. I often use LR's Output Sharpening because, well, besides the fact it's good, it's based on the concepts of PhotoKit Sharpener anyway and I tend to prefer using LR's printing workflow and not lock in the output sharpening to a specific size/resolution...either way; using PKS 2 or Lightroom is fine with me.

makaphoto

« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2011, 03:59:41 pm »

Well, mine is a copy called"Real World Sharpening with CS2" from 2007. And I don't really feel like rereading it (as it was a hard read first time around and: we've got PKS2 now). What has sunken in though is what he writes in Chapter 2 "The monitor as a guide". I've been following that rule ever since. Oh well.....

Martin

Schewe

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »

It's been pointed out in another thread that this response to D_Clear could be construed as being rude and dismissive. That was not my intent. I was simply using a tech shorthand meaning read the manual (and yes, I know what the "F" usually stands for). So, to D_Clear, my apologies if you thought I was rude or dismissive.

Let me amend and revise what I meant: RTMF (read the manual first) and then come back and ask your questions, I'll be happy to help with anything that is not clear in the manual...

(thanks to Slobodan Blagojevic for the suggestion to transpose the letters and thus the potential meaning)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up