Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disturbing photo  (Read 3348 times)

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
Disturbing photo
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »

The current photo of the concrete laborer is one of the most disturbing photos I have ever seen.  The look on that guys face!  I'm not sure if others felt the same way but it makes me very uncomfortable.  "go home GRINGO, or else"

jhemphillphotography.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Disturbing photo
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »

Ah, OK. That’s what makes for horse races. I didn’t read anything disturbing into the image/expression but that’s just me.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:15:09 pm »

That's is a lot of projection - more on the part of the viewer than the subject I believe.

I was there. We exchanged a few pleasantries and spent about 10 minutes shooting stills & video. Never at any point did I feel that we were unwelcome or intruding. Quite the opposite.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:34:46 am »

Posing for the camera? :)

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 04:44:59 am »

The current photo of the concrete laborer is one of the most disturbing photos I have ever seen.  The look on that guys face!  I'm not sure if others felt the same way but it makes me very uncomfortable.  "go home GRINGO, or else"

jhemphillphotography.com

I see yor point, but that's more to do with facial build - ask Central Casting, or simply watch Desesperados (if you can tear your eyes off Selma Halek) and you'll see that it is much a matter of ethnicity: neither evil nor sacred, just types you find in different melting pots. Of course, as for the individual's innermost thinkings, look through any window and wonder...

Rob C

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:21:26 am »

Good to hear from someone who was there, it completely changes my attitude towards the image.  Living near the border of Mexico there has been some violence in otherwise peaceful places we used to visit, so I guess I was reading into this picture more than needs be done.

jhemphillphotography.com

stamper

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:43:59 am »

There wasn't anything wrong with your original comment per se. It was how you felt on first viewing it. The more a person looks at an image the the more the "feeling" changes? :)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:46:24 am »

There wasn't anything wrong with your original comment per se. It was how you felt on first viewing it. The more a person looks at an image the the more the "feeling" changes? :)

This is so true: the first time I see new pics from somebody I aready admire, the more impressed I am; then, slowly, I see the flaws.

But, and a strange one, the first time I see my own shots the worse I think of them, but the longer I look, the more they swell my self-esteem!

As they say around Glasgow (though it might be Paisley), ain't nothin' as strange as folks!

Did anyone pick up the tv show with Rankin the other night (UK)? He did a reshoot of some iconic Hollywood images, a theme he’s done before on ty with Bailey fashion imagery too. I didn’t think it worked when he tried that, and it was even worse when he took on the Hollywood publicity men of the G.O.Ds.

The nadir was when they wheeled on Jane Russell, who seemed to be utterly out of the whole thing. Poor lady – time has served her cruelly but I guess she has only herself to blame for accepting a cameo role as herself on the embarrassing set where they tried to recreate the Outlaw still; however, the straw was convincing enough and one pistol is much the same as another to a non-collector. Well, I guess the reality of what was then is always better than the versions of it now... Think I’ll turn the mirrors at home.

The odd thing is Rankin: surely he doesn’t need to do these daft things? He’s a great shooter in his own right, has a track record second to none, why does he think he needs this? Surely he knows you can’t do it successfully? He can’t need the money, even if he does hire(?) red Caddies!

For the peepers, it was interesting to see him working with an arr-zee, a 500C variant and with what looked like a 70mm back… cool to watch him winding on! I almost forgave him everything just for that!

Oh well, back to the images.

Rob C

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 02:54:53 pm »

jhemphillphotography.com

I think you need your eyes check.  The guy look just happy as anyone else.

Plus they are not gringo.  So more to check.
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:38:46 pm »

I think you need your eyes check.  The guy look just happy as anyone else.

Plus they are not gringo.  So more to check.

Verdad.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up