Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: soft proofing epson's ABW for different color toning  (Read 1250 times)

ramestica

soft proofing epson's ABW for different color toning
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:39:35 pm »

In Photoshop CS5 I'm having some success to soft proof black and white photos that I'm printing through an epson R2400 on some matte media here. But as soon as I change ABW's color toning setting from Neutral to Warm then the mismatch is very apparent. Too much blocking of shadow's details. How could I feedback to PS the color toning setting? Should I use a different profile? The ones I see available do not seem to parametrize on the color toning setting. Is there some technique that would help me achieving a better soft proofing? Is this something I should address by tuning ABW's settings until I'm happy with the matching between lcd and print?

thanks,
Rodrigo

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: soft proofing epson's ABW for different color toning
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:27:14 pm »

I think what you want to do cannot be done.  The ABW print driver settings are not reflected back in Photoshop and regardless of what settings you pick you cannot see the effect there.  The only real alternative is to do it by trial and error (but this of course uses lots of paper and ink).  If you want to tone AND soft proof you could do it in Photoshop by using a hue saturation layer but then would have to print through the normal Epson driver with Photoshop managing colors. I think those are your only two options but am waiting for others to weigh in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up