Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7600 Head not quite Clean, any advice? (PIC)  (Read 1530 times)

gdi

7600 Head not quite Clean, any advice? (PIC)
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:01:04 pm »

Below is a scan of a printer nozzle check that shows an ALMOST clean head - I have one segment missing in one color (one nozzle, right?)  I still get slight banding in gray areas and I believe this may be the problem.  But I am asking for expert opinions here - is this a big deal?  Could only one nozzle screw up my prints?  What else can I try to clean it? I have used the Windex cleaning method and cleaned the wiper and sealing gasket around the cap.  I am looking to upgrade, but if I cabn make it usable for someone else (and use it in the meantime) it would be great.

Thanks!

Garnick

Re: 7600 Head not quite Clean, any advice? (PIC)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:05:31 pm »

Yes, this nozzle check printout would definitely suggest that you might have banding problems, especially in the light blacks and gray areas of the print.  From your description of the procedures you have tried so far I assume you have removed the right end cover in order to accommodate this work.  Therefore, if you also remove the pump assembly/capping station you will then have clear access to the business side of the print head.  I will also assume that you have the service manual, but if not it's not a big deal to remove the pump assembly.  Four screws involved and be careful when removing the little tube that carries the waste ink to the larger tube and into the waste tank.  An ink spill from the small tube is the only problem, so careful handling is a necessity.  When I used to do this I made a "hanger" of sorts to suspend the pump assembly next to the printer body, but out of the way.  Then you don't have to unplug the electrical supply to the pump, although that's not a big deal either.  As a matter of fact, when I clean the wiper I always remove the pump assembly and the wiper blade to facilitate easier access and more thorough cleaning.  You'll have to remove the back plate from the printer to unplug the pump assembly power supply.  Once the pump assembly is out of the way, unpark the print head and move it slightly to achieve clear access. Then, using a lint free paper towel soaked in distilled water, place it on the print head.  The wetness will adhere it to the head.  Leave it in position for about 15 minutes and then use a new piece of soaked towel.  Try this procedure three times and then run a cleaning cycle and nozzle check.  I found that this method would usually wick out any stubborn pieces of crud impeding the ink flow.  You might find that you'll have to repeat this procedure several times, but this doesn't look like a major clog, so I doubt it will be a big job in your case.  Another thing to look for is air in the ink lines.  Use a rather strong light source and examine the LK line, right from the cartridge to the print head and damper.  These lines are transparent and if there are air bubbles you will definitely be able to detect them.  If that is the case then I can help you with that as well.  You'll notice that I do not use Windex, since it has some alcohol and can dry out the ink feeds apparently.  You can use the Green version if necessary, although I have found that the distilled water does a good job of breaking up ink clogs also. 

One more caution.....Of course you will be unplugging the printer before you remove the end cover to do any of this work.  However, there is a proper method for doing this.  Turn off the printer.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.  Turn the printer back on while watching the control panel display.  You will probably notice a slight bit of activity, even though the power cord has been disconnected.  This is the transistors, capacitors etc dumping residual current.  If you fail follow this procedure you risk causing a short and possibly having to replace a circuit board, NOT A GOOD THING!  You should then press the power switch again so that the printer will not start up as soon as you plug it in.  I hope this is of some help, and feel to chime in with more questions if necessary.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

gdi

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:16:39 am »

Thanks Gary!

I will try this technique and report back. I appreciate the detailed info and instructions.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 07:05:03 pm »

Before you start taking this thing apart I would soak the cap station with Simple Green cleaner, do one head cleaning to pull it into the dampers and head. Let it sit overnight and try it again. This Simple Green is, in the opinion of many of us Epson users, has an ability to dissolve pigment crud in ways that Windex can't. The other thing I use is the Cone pink flush fluid that works extremely well to dissolve problem pigment clogs but probably no better for what you are experiencing than Simple Green.

j

ippolitois

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:10:42 pm »

Hi Deanwork,

Which product from Simple Green are yo referring to with respect to the head cleaning? Is it the All Purpose version?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up