Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SW USA trip  (Read 8547 times)

jdemott

Re: SW USA trip
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 05:23:32 pm »

Sounds like a great trip!

By provisions, I assume you mean groceries and toiletries.  Any large supermarket should be fine.  Ask for directions to a nearby Safeway or Albertsons.  They should also have inexpensive ice chests for sale, and ice. Most large supermarkets have Deli departments where you can buy carry-out sandwiches, salads, cheese, etc.--I find it is a very economical and convenient way to have a picnic lunch when traveling.

The National Park website for Canyonlands (and the websites for the other national parks) has listings and maps of the trails.  There is a .pdf brochure of the trails in the Needles area.  I recall the Slickrock trail was a nice short  walk in that area with good views.  http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/brochures.htm

I see you are planning to visit Horeshoe Canyon, which is a wonderful experience.  The roads to the trailhead are rather rough, so allow plenty of time, including 5-6 hours for the hike in the canyon.  Make sure you take lots of water!  You will want a long lens and a polarizing filter to photograph the rock art.
John DeMott

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 11:38:02 pm »

Where is the best place to stock up with provisions in Las Vegas before departing?
Which short hikes are best in Canyonlands - Needles?
Which tour companies would you reccomend for Upper Antelope canyon, and Monument Valley? (overall tour rather than just photograpic)

Thanks,

Simon

Can't help you with w/ provisions or Upper Antelope (although I would recommend Lower Antelope to Upper Antelope as I find it offers many more opportunities for photography).

Short hikes in Canyonlands:

- Hike to end of trail and back at Grandview Point (2 mi. r/t)
- Definitely hike to Mesa Arch and back (1/2 mile r/t)
- Hike to Murphy Point (2.5 mi. r/t)
- Hike to White Rim Overlook (1.8 mi. r/t)
- In Dead Horse Point SP, hike as much or as little of the rim trails as desired

There are others, like False Kiva, but if you're not an experienced and fit hiker I wouldn't recommend them.  The hikes listed above are easy and scenic, with little risk of getting lost or falling off a cliff.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 10:35:57 am »

By provisions, I assume you mean groceries and toiletries.  Any large supermarket should be fine.  Ask for directions to a nearby Safeway or Albertsons.  They should also have inexpensive ice chests for sale, and ice. Most large supermarkets have Deli departments where you can buy carry-out sandwiches, salads, cheese, etc.--I find it is a very economical and convenient way to have a picnic lunch when traveling.

FYI, There aren't many large grocery stores in this part of the world.  Moab, Cortez and Page will have something.  Bluff, Hanksville, Bryce and Springdale (zion) will not.  Those places will have smaller stores that will most likely be expensive and close early. 

The roads to the trailhead are rather rough, so allow plenty of time, including 5-6 hours for the hike in the canyon. 

This is true.  It's about a 6 or 7 mile hike (round trip) to the great gallery.  The maze is one of the most remote areas in the continental US.  Horseshoe canyon is AT LEAST 25 miles over semi-graded dirt road that turn to slime with the smallest amount of rain (March and April are the "rainy" season in this part of the world).  Read your rental car contract carefully, most do not allow you to drive your car in these conditions. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up