Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3 with Mac Pro 8 Core 2.4  (Read 1822 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Lightroom 3 with Mac Pro 8 Core 2.4
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:22:29 pm »

I am looking to upgrade from my current MacBook Pro 15" 2.66 with 8GB DDR3 (June 2009).
Would I see much of a difference running Lightroom 3 along with Photoshop CS5 with a Mac Pro Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (8 cores) with 6GB DDR3 (mid 2010)? I would upgrade the Ram to 12GB.

Is anyone else using a Mac Pro Mid 2010? What is your experience with this system?

My other option is the iMac 27" i7 Mid 2010. However there is not much upgrade possibilities, but the cost is much less. 

Thanks!

Colortrails

• Colortrails.com
Re: Lightroom 3 with Mac Pro 8 Core 2.4
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:05:30 pm »

Hi Stuart,

I would tentatively (not knowing anything else about your setup or workflow) say that yes, you should see a performance difference when running those two apps (plus others perhaps) on an 8 core, 12GB machine. Especially if you're using larger files. Not every function uses so many cores but just the general setup and compute resources there should provide some improvement.

Some added benefits include a much more powerful GPU for those functions now and in the future that will offload their processing to the graphics cards, tremendous expandability (4 drives inside the machine potentially, including dedicated scratch drive which can be very important), and the ability to leave other business apps (like email or browser) open in the background without worrying it will slow your machine down. Every Mac Pro I've purchased has been a great investment. Usually lasts a good 4 years and can go longer depending on workflow setup.

Would recommend you buy an NEC or Eizo CG-series screen for color critical work, rather than Apple's Cinema displays or cheap 3rd party display. Be aware though that if you buy a 10-bit screen, you will not yet be able to take full advantage of that on OS X. Hopefully that will come with the next big system update. There are more details on this topic in the Color Mgmt. forum.

The iMac would be a good option too, but for the fact that it's not nearly as expandable in terms of RAM, HD space, etc and the glossy screen. Last I checked Apple did not have a matte screen option with the iMacs (unfortunately). For me anyway, that would be a deal-breaker, but I'm one of these crazy people that likes having a tank of a computer under my desk. Keeps the office warm in winter! ;)

Hope this helps some.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:08:16 pm by Colortrails »
Author of Adobe Digital Imaging How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques for Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3 and ACR 6

Follow me on Twitter @Colortrails

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Re: Lightroom 3 with Mac Pro 8 Core 2.4
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:35:06 pm »

Hi Stuart,

I would tentatively (not knowing anything else about your setup or workflow) say that yes, you should see a performance difference when running those two apps (plus others perhaps) on an 8 core, 12GB machine. Especially if you're using larger files. Not every function uses so many cores but just the general setup and compute resources there should provide some improvement.

Some added benefits include a much more powerful GPU for those functions now and in the future that will offload their processing to the graphics cards, tremendous expandability (4 drives inside the machine potentially, including dedicated scratch drive which can be very important), and the ability to leave other business apps (like email or browser) open in the background without worrying it will slow your machine down. Every Mac Pro I've purchased has been a great investment. Usually lasts a good 4 years and can go longer depending on workflow setup.

Would recommend you buy an NEC or Eizo CG-series screen for color critical work, rather than Apple's Cinema displays or cheap 3rd party display. Be aware though that if you buy a 10-bit screen, you will not yet be able to take full advantage of that on OS X. Hopefully that will come with the next big system update. There are more details on this topic in the Color Mgmt. forum.

The iMac would be a good option too, but for the fact that it's not nearly as expandable in terms of RAM, HD space, etc and the glossy screen. Last I checked Apple did not have a matte screen option with the iMacs (unfortunately). For me anyway, that would be a deal-breaker, but I'm one of these crazy people that likes having a tank of a computer under my desk. Keeps the office warm in winter! ;)

Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the information.

With the Mac Pro it just opens up so many more options including upgrading.

I do agree with you when it comes to the monitor. Currently I have an Apple 24" Cinema Display connected to my Macbook Pro.
It is a real hassle trying to calibrate this monitor even with the X-Rite Eye-One Display 2. I feel I would have the same problem with iMac. Besides there is not much upgrading you can do with the iMac.

Stu
Pages: [1]   Go Up