Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To use or discard good film  (Read 2308 times)

BobTrips

To use or discard good film
« on: July 09, 2003, 11:15:14 am »

Well, I'm (was - retired) a psychologist.  And I shoot pictures.  That's close.

In addition, I'm cheap, er, ... frugal.

I'd suggest visiting DPReview and looking for threads that start with 'Film versus Digital' type headings.

You will quickly locate people who will "never switch to digital", who will "quit taking pictures" if film disappears.

Sell them your unused film and start enjoying yourself.

Maybe there's a priest who visits the site and can give you absolution for your transgressions against film....

Erik M

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 01:45:10 pm »

Mitch,

Get rid of the film. A 6MP dslr will give you better image quality than 35mm film. With your extra money from selling the film you can put it toward:

Photoshop Books
Photoshop Actions
Upsampling Software (if you don't use use Photoshop bi-cubic)
Adobe RAW plug in
CF cards
Extra Battery
Opti-cal monitor calibration tool (you do want your prints to match your monitor, don't you?)
An Epson 2200
Ten different types of fine art paper to experiment with
Custom ICC profiles for your paper, if you're picky, that is
Of course if you're really picky, a RIP for your printer might be in order.
Media management sofware

Hmm. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things. Have fun.

mitch cohen

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 09:31:02 am »

I'm in need of a little feedback, to justify one or another decision.  I'm currently still on film (35mm) and will obviously go to a 10D in the near future.  That decision is made.  It's the timing that's under debate.  The trouble is I have a large stock of good film, which I'd hate to see go to waste.

A while ago I bought a Kodak film scanner (RFS3600).  At the time they had a "rebate" where they'd send you 100 rolls of film for your purchase.  I chose lots of Portra print film (160VC, 400VC, 400NC, 800) and some E100 slide film.  Seems to be pretty good stuff.

I still have 60-70 rolls remaining, and therein is my delimma.  Do I continue to shoot film until it's gone, then buy the 10D?  Or do I sadly bury so much good film and go digital now, which is where I do want to end up?

Each roll costs roughly $5 to process, or $10 to process and scan.  For batch scanning I'd rather have someone else to the tedious work, then do a really good clean scan of the best stuff.  So that's $300-$700 of processing/scanning.  Scans are nice, but of course digital images are (usually) cleaner and less dusty.

The logical choice is obvious - in the long run I'd have cleaner images and more money if I just bought the 10D.  But the logic is combatted by the loss of valuable film (money already spent) and some sort of religious attachment to The Almighty Film.  An interesting dilemma, and perhaps one to cause interesting discussion.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 12:14:48 pm »

Photo.net is another hotbed of film enthusiasts.

mitch cohen

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 02:10:46 pm »

Get rid of the film. A 6MP dslr will give you better image quality than 35mm film. With your extra money from selling the film you can put it toward:
Ah, if only selling that film would buy me ALL that stuff! :-)

I think I'll try posting the film on ebay and find it a more caring home...
Pages: [1]   Go Up