Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chalk Artist  (Read 2228 times)

Andres Bonilla

Chalk Artist
« on: January 08, 2011, 01:20:15 pm »

I saw him in Venice, California; he was starting to draw on the street with chalk, he made a quick drawing of me shooting video on his pad, I took a photo of him. Great guy very sharp.

I continue with this style of post that I have done in another photos before. C&C welcome.

Thanks for looiking.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Chalk Artist
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:34:03 pm »

The blending of his hair with the upper background seems to be the main factor preventing me from making sense of the light and space of his head.  The blending of the hair with his shirt is not as disruptive.  Bruce
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:38:10 pm by Bruce Cox »

shutterpup

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:10:18 am »

After looking several times over as many days, my initial conclusion stands. This looks like a chalk rendering of the chalk artist and I like that effect very much. I do not have any problems with the lighting.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 01:12:36 pm »

The blending of his hair with the upper background seems to be the main factor preventing me from making sense of the light and space of his head.  The blending of the hair with his shirt is not as disruptive.  Bruce

Hi Bruce thanks for your reply! Well the light was a little tricky in this photo; it came from above but since he was close to the beach his face was illuminated by all kind of bouncing lights. He had a very strong reflection from the pavement, the sand nearby and the white tent of a guitar craftsman. The use of textures is purely and stylistic approach of mine; some viewers love it, some don’t care for it. I was asked by another photographer to post it B/W without the texture while this lady believes the use of them compliments the character.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:14:49 pm »

After looking several times over as many days, my initial conclusion stands. This looks like a chalk rendering of the chalk artist and I like that effect very much. I do not have any problems with the lighting.

Thank you! My intent was about mood and relating style with his character, I am glad you like it.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »

Hi Bruce thanks for you're reply! Well, the light was a little tricky in this photo; it came from above but since he was close to the beach his face was illuminated by all kind of bouncing lights. He had a very strong reflection from the pavement, the sand nearby and the white tent of a guitar craftsman. The use of textures is purely and stylistic approach of mine; some viewers love it, some don’t care for it. I was asked by another photographer to post it B/W without the texture while this lady believes the use of them compliments the character.
   Remembering beach lighting does help me see it better and I like the textured background well enough; it is just that if I selectively block my view of the top edge of his head its volume is much more vivid.  The greater spacial tension with the background that further rounding of his head would cause may well be undesirable though and not my call.  Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up