Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filmstrip re-arranges images after export and save in Photoshop  (Read 4007 times)

BrianWoolf

Gentlemen,
I have this problem, where if i export a file to Photoshop, do some work and save as a tiff, lightroom takes the raw file and the photoshop saved tiff and re-locates them to the end of the filmstrip and not always to the end but certainly out of order & close to the end. I can not find any modification that I can make to the filmstrip to change this behavior. As I always shoot raw and do a lot of bracketing this drives me up a wall. Also when I return to Lightroom, the filmstrip is now at the new location, at the end of the filmstrip (I do understand why I am at this location-because that's where the file I was working on is now located). At this point, I have to back track thru the filmstrip, to find where I really was, to go thru images in an orderly progression. Also the one image that I worked on is no longer with its bracket

Using Lightroom 3.2, Mac OS 10.5.8. I have two of LuLa's Lightroom tutorials and, while very informative, they don't seem to have any info on this event. I have even purchased a Lightroom 2 book in the past, to find out about this problem, but no luck.

So any help would be appreciated, even directions to where to look.
Thank you,
Brian Woolf

jeremypayne

Re: Filmstrip re-arranges images after export and save in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:12:48 am »

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/chap4_9780321555601/elementLinks/lr2_04_36.jpg

Change the sorting order of the thumbnails
Use the Sort Direction control and the Sort Criteria menu in the Toolbar to change the display order of the thumbnails images in the Grid view and the Filmstrip.

1.If the Sort Direction control is not currently visible in the Toolbar, choose Sorting from the tools menu at the right of the Toolbar. Click the Sort Direction control () to reverse the sorting direction of the thumbnails.
2.Choose Pick from the Sort Criteria menu beside the Sort Direction control.

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1246985&seqNum=6

Costas

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:25:13 am »

I think you might have the filmstrip sort order set to - sort by "capture time"

change this to sort by filename and it might list the images in the order you want.

jeremypayne

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »

I think you might have the filmstrip sort order set to - sort by "capture time"

change this to sort by filename and it might list the images in the order you want.

Actually, it sounds more like it is set to Edit Time and not Capture Time.

BrianWoolf

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:56:27 pm »

Thanks, that was easy.
Brian Woolf

Costas

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:57:50 pm »

glad it worked for you, what Lightroom book did you buy, would you recommend it for a more advanced user?

BrianWoolf

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:36:42 pm »

Costas,

The book was/is called "adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 on Demand" (I had Lightroom 2.5 at the time). Would I recommend it - NOT REALLY. It is a very basic book and I guess useful in a limited basic sense. When I looked up Filmstrip (because that where I was having a problem) in the index, there were only two listings "Filmstrip, 51" and "Filmstrip filtering, 104". Neither page even mentioned anything about a "sort order". Filmstrip filtering listed flag status, rating, color label and metadata preset. "Sorting Images" was on page 63, but I would have needed to know that was what I was looking for.

I found out why I missed 'sort order' - I don't use grid view very much and it shows up there. Instead I use one full image, in the top main window and use the filmstrip to navigate thru my images. The sort order is hidden and you have to access it thru the down arrow button on the bottom right. It seem that sort order seems to have a mind of its own, changing into whatever it thinks you need and the last thing I need is to have a computer think for me, it gets it wrong 90% of the time.
Thanks for the help,
Brian Woolf

jeremypayne

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:44:13 pm »

... It seem that sort order seems to have a mind of its own, changing into whatever it thinks you need ...

Not in my experience.  It stays on what I put it on.

David Hufford

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 07:08:36 pm »

I have had that happen a number of times---edit an image or make a virtual copy and it suddenly disappears to show up at the end of a strip of 100+ photos. Tends to be a bit irritating. The first few times it took a lot of searching to find out what was wrong, but somehow it occasionally resets from capture time to the "confuse the idiot" setting. I don't know if I accidently hit something somehow or if it rests itself just to be ornery.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Costas

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:39:33 am »

Thanks for the book info Brian

It would be useful if you could set a default sort order somewhere that is tagged to a folder on import. I find each time I import it sets the order to "capture time" which I have to change - useful if you use several cameras at once - but for me filename would be preferable, especially since I use external editors for panos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up