Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture on the Mac Store:Upgrade possible?  (Read 15458 times)

jduncan

Aperture on the Mac Store:Upgrade possible?
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:02:11 pm »

Hello. I have not install 10.6.6 yet. I am waiting to do so after I finish to upgrade HW of my mac. I am running Aperture 2. The price of the full version of aperture on the apple store is less than the price of the upgrade on B&H.
So my question is:
1. Is there an upgrade version on the mac store? If so what is the price?
2. Have any one try to install the new version having the old?

I use carbon copy for backups so after I reinstall the mac, I could let aperture out, buy aperture 3 from the store and then import the library.

Thanks for any input
english is not my first language, an I k

K.C.

Re: Aperture on the Mac Store:Upgrade possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:53:52 am »

The download available from the app store is the full install of version 3.

As for the rest of your questions I think you've answered them yourself.

Colortrails

• Colortrails.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:17:30 pm »

It is entirely possible over a period of time they will introduce upgrade App Store pricing for higher priced items, but I did not see anything yesterday that indicated there was a version available other than the full one. However, as noted, when you're paying $79 it doesn't really matter. You're getting the full version for less than half the prior cost.

I don't know if Aperture 2 and 3 can coexist (most likely they cannot run simultaneously, based on past experience with these kinds of questions) but the current version has many performance enhancements and bug fixes relative to the original shipping version so if that's what you're worried about, I think you're safe to switch. ;)
Author of Adobe Digital Imaging How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques for Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3 and ACR 6

Follow me on Twitter @Colortrails

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:18:23 pm »

There is an interesting article on Mac Create Website (January 7, 2011) about the License Agreement with Aperture 3 from the App Store:
http://aperture.maccreate.com/2011/01/07/dumb-forum-posts-otd-aperture-license-forbids-commercial-use/

Not really sure what to make of this, however it is interesting reading.

Colortrails

• Colortrails.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:22:49 pm »

I'm not an attorney but I would be shocked if Apple snuck a new EULA agreement into the App Store version, forbidding commercial use. As I read the post my impression is the author is right: they're not forbidding commercial use, but I'd have to look it over more carefully to be sure. Aperture's primary target market is serious amateur and professional photographers; limiting commercial use would not be a smart move on Apple's part. Wonder if the same two clauses are found in other app EULAs like Pages or Numbers?
Author of Adobe Digital Imaging How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques for Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3 and ACR 6

Follow me on Twitter @Colortrails

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 09:25:36 pm »

It appears that, with Aperture on the Mac App Store, Apple is moving to the same kind of pricing model that pertains to iLife; make it cheap enough so that yearly (roughly) paid upgrades are palatable.

Final effect is similar to a subscription model; the vendor gets a steady stream of income, which all businesses crave. Wonder how Adobe is going with its subscription offerings?

And think about what the Mac App Store means to all vendors, including The Mothership; a central repository which can be searched, and downloaded from. No more cardboard boxes, CD or DVD media, Kagi accounts or shelf space needed. Interesting that Aperture is still available from the Apple Store for $199, rather higher than $79!
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up