Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squarespace for photographers  (Read 30034 times)

jeremypayne

Re: Squarespace for photographers
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 11:18:47 am »

Dunno about that - www.edwardtufte.com. It's a bit err... all over the place. 

Yeah, well ... tell yourself whatever you want ... but if you want to understand where a lot of the design ethos you were criticizing comes from, you better read Tufte.

As a designer myself of product interfaces involving complex visualizations that are usually quite data-rich, I find him to be one of my most important influences.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 12:17:14 pm »

Yeah, well ... tell yourself whatever you want ... but if you want to understand where a lot of the design ethos you were criticizing comes from, you better read Tufte.

As a designer myself of product interfaces involving complex visualizations that are usually quite data-rich, I find him to be one of my most important influences.

I note he doesn't purport to design for the web though as that, as I have frequently seen mentioned, is a different ball game to print. The closest he comes is to advise on Power Point where he is less than enthusiastic about the use of templates.

But look at the site Jeremy and tell me it is clear, disciplined and presents information in a non confusing way. The menu hardly advertises its presence or function and is not aligned or delineated in any way with the rest of the content, it looks totally ad hoc to be honest. I also had to go over the page several times before I figured out what he was all about, and even now I'm not that certain. Who is he, what does he do, what is he saying/selling? It took a while for the answers to crystallise ensuring that any idea that I had of the fellow being a top communications guru swiftly evaporated as my eye and mind was dragged helter skelter from sculpture to dogs to books to diagrams etc with no clear road map in between.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 12:20:15 pm »

I haven't checked it out yet, but I bet it's pretty wild, and NOT your usual run-of-the-mill website.

Eric

True, its worse.

jeremypayne

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:19 pm »

True, its worse.

... and Picasso's work is messy ... get a clue!

Tufte is GOD in the world of visual communication

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 02:35:56 pm »

That's the impression I have had, seeing a couple of his books.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 03:41:35 pm »

... and Picasso's work is messy ... get a clue!

All the more reason to question the beliefs he espouses.

I note that his co creator of the site 'Eye Architecture' has this on their home page -

We work with our clients to create innovative, user-centered navigation and organizational strategies for web sites and applications.

And they use the term 'Navigational strategy'  elsewhere on the site.

Now please, could you show me on Mr Tuftes site where there is the faintest evidence of any of this waffle being unambiguously deployed rather than simply resorting to assurances of his holiness.

jeremypayne

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 03:46:46 pm »

In my life, there is a pantheon of super-heroes ...  Topping the sports heroes list are Mark Messier and Mariano Rivera.  Topping the intellectual list are Richard Feynman and Edward Tufte.

You just aren't gonna get far trying to bash Tufte ... with me or 99.99999% of people who have a clue who he is ...

jeremypayne

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2011, 03:50:04 pm »

That's the impression I have had, seeing a couple of his books.

Eric

His live seminars are unbelievable ... and he does them about 50 times a year.

"Envisioning Information" and "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" are right on my shelf next to me.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:24 pm »

In my life, there is a pantheon of super-heroes ...  Topping the sports heroes list are Mark Messier and Mariano Rivera.  Topping the intellectual list are Richard Feynman and Edward Tufte.

You just aren't gonna get far trying to bash Tufte ... with me or 99.99999% of people who have a clue who he is ...

Sigh, fine, all I am asking is for you to justify the design of his website. You appear reluctant to do so. Please, I want to understand why people think the sun shines whenever he bends over.

jeremypayne

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »

Please, I want to understand why people think the sun shines whenever he bends over.

I'm not gonna start debating the merits (or lack thereof) of Tufte's website.   

Ask around ... if you know anyone who knows anything about design they will know of Tufte.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 10:26:10 am »

I'm not gonna start debating the merits (or lack thereof) of Tufte's website.   

A wise decision.

Ask around ... if you know anyone who knows anything about design they will know of Tufte.

Design of what? Graphic design for print he may indeed be the supreme lord of the universe (although I am by no means gobsmacked) but he has not yet grasped the notion that their is a big difference between print and web. They are not the same animal at all but it is true that he doesn't claim to be a guru on web design, I can discern that much at least from his site.

jeremypayne

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 10:30:36 am »

but he has not yet grasped the notion that their is a big difference between print and web.

Hurray for Tipperarry is an awesome site and Edward Tufte can't teach you anything.

I get it.

(I'm just laughing my ass off ...)

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 10:58:59 am »

Hurray for Tipperarry is an awesome site and Edward Tufte can't teach you anything.

I get it.

(I'm just laughing my ass off ...)

Do that and you want be able to talk!

Well that's a rather superficial jibe on my part and I should rise above the temptation but anyway I'm sure the good Mr Tufte has many excellent ideas but the dogs dinner of shambles that he cares to call a website does not, as an initial impression, fill me with the greatest of hope . How much does he charge for his seminars BTW.

jeremypayne

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 11:57:58 am »

How much does he charge for his seminars BTW.

One-day course is $380 per person. 

Here's an interesting selection from his site where he discussed a re-design effort at the Washington Post.com ...

http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0002nk

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up