Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo CG243W + 10.6 still ≠ 10-bit?  (Read 3383 times)

Colortrails

• Colortrails.com
Eizo CG243W + 10.6 still ≠ 10-bit?
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:35:49 pm »

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forums here but not new to Luminous Landscape. One of my favorite photography sites for many years (thank you Michael) and I'm finding, a great resource for technical issues with various hardware combinations as well.

So here's my quandary, I recently read this article:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/10bit.shtml
...about getting 10-bit color running on a Mac Pro, with the Eizo 243W monitor and Radeon 4870.

And I also read the NEC thread about how none of their 10-bit monitors currently work on a Mac because of Apple's OS deficiency (i.e. not supporting 10-bit color). I'm a little confused as to whether the problem described in the NEC thread also applies to all Eizo monitors. I would assume so (any link in the chain broken = no 10-bit color right?), but unless I'm missing something, it sounds like the article is suggesting otherwise. It sounds like after the mouse fix, he was able to experience 10-bit color on his Mac Pro?

I tried to get the Radeon 4870 but Apple discontinued it shortly before I got my 243W. So after verifying it works with a 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) I did the next best thing (?): get an Apple-branded Radeon 5770 with MiniDisplay Port. I also had the irritating mouse-freeze problem (making the computer unusable via DisplayPort connection), and Eizo requested I send in my monitor to get that fixed, which it now is. (Thank you Eizo but I wish I didn't have to spend $60 or whatever it was to send and insure a monitor to you, that was under warranty, and which had a flaw that that was present from the day it shipped). :)

However, I do not have 10-bit color working within Photoshop CS5 AFAICT. My System Profiler is showing 32-bit display, not 40. (i.e. 8-bit A + RGB). This, despite running the display through a Star Tech DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort cable (the preferred one I believe). So a few clarifications:

1. Does the Radeon 5770 Mac Edition support 10-bit color? Can't imagine why the 4870 would and the 5770 wouldn't...
2. Are there work-arounds on the Mac for users of the CG 243W, to achieve 10-bit color? (Short of using Windows?)
3. Anyone have any concrete knowledge whether Apple is planning this capability for all Mac Pros with 10.7 Lion?

10-bit monitors are a newer tech and relatively rare but surprising Apple hasn't lead the charge with this. Maybe they don't care because none of the Cinema Displays they ship support DisplayPort. Which, using MiniDisplayPort also seems short-sighted IMO. Any thoughts appreciated.
Author of Adobe Digital Imaging How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques for Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3 and ACR 6

Follow me on Twitter @Colortrails

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Eizo CG243W + 10.6 still ≠ 10-bit?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:11:43 pm »

I'm a little confused as to whether the problem described in the NEC thread also applies to all Eizo monitors. I would assume so (any link in the chain broken = no 10-bit color right?),

Welcome! Yes I believe that is correct (despite reports otherwise <g>). The people I’ve talked to have said its an issue OS/App issue so I can’t see how a display manufacturer can counter that issue. On Windows, different story.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Colortrails

• Colortrails.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:20:04 pm »

Welcome! Yes I believe that is correct (despite reports otherwise <g>). The people I’ve talked to have said its an issue OS/App issue so I can’t see how a display manufacturer can counter that issue. On Windows, different story.

Thank you much. Good to be here. :)

I can't see how a display maker would work their way around that either but figured it was worth asking. Hopefully Apple steps up their game with the next release. Doesn't seem like the kind of flaw they'd address in a point release.

Well, I can still get more info on my GPU if nothing else. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake with the 5770 Mac Edition.

Cheers!
Author of Adobe Digital Imaging How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques for Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3 and ACR 6

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:49:37 am »

No mention of any 10-bit display update in the just released 10.6.6 update.

Looks like the App Store is just about all it is about, and I already fixed the postscript print bug from 10.6.5.

Colortrails

• Colortrails.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:51:45 pm »

Yep, mostly App Store stuff for 10.6.6 AFAICT (Aperture marked all the way down to $79 btw, which is pretty cool).

Hopefully 10.7 will bring full 10-bit support and a slew of updated GPU drivers for folks with older Mac Pros and laptops that can power these types of displays.

Pages: [1]   Go Up