Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uses for the longest tele lenses  (Read 2221 times)

bigstu

Uses for the longest tele lenses
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:10:15 am »

I am putting together a lens kit for an Rm3di and want to know what you may use the longest tele lenses for and which ones would be your favorite for a 60 or 80 mp back.  (apo-digitar 180 vs 210 vs any Rod)

Dick Roadnight

Re: Uses for the longest tele lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:38:57 am »

I am putting together a lens kit for an Rm3di and want to know what you may use the longest tele lenses for and which ones would be your favorite for a 60 or 80 mp back.  (apo-digitar 180 vs 210 vs any Rod)
I intend to get an Apo-Digitar 210, and expect to use it mostly for landscapes and architecture, but also in the studio.

I also have 480, 600 and 900 mm lenses which I intend to experiment with @ 60Mpx... but theses are old film lenses.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:26 am »

If you are like me, if I have bothered to take a range of lenses with me I will look for a way to use them. My main reason to use a long lens would be to alter perspective, because in the field using a longer or wider lens most likely means you will have to use a different viewpoint or that lens makes a different viewpoints possible. The amount of times you find it best to use long lenses diminishes with the length of lens. It's always nice to have an option in the bag, how often you use the option will depend on how you see the subject and in practical terms how far you are prepared to lug the equipment around for all those new viewpoints with their changing perspective.

Kevin.
Kevin.

hubell

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:16 pm »

How would you be able to achieve accurate focus untethered with even short tele lenses on a tech camera?

bigstu

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:21:39 am »

I am told that the remarkable focusing mechanism on the Arca Rm3d will allow standardizing the focus at discreet distances according to the published tables that Arca provides with each lens they mount.  A laser distometer is used for measuring distance.  I'm putting a lot of faith in Arca's engineering and the opinions of other Arca owners and dealers (my milage usually varies).  I will post results when I have the camera and lenses in hand. (? estimated 6-8 wks)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:27:56 am »

I am told that the remarkable focusing mechanism on the Arca Rm3d will allow standardizing the focus at discreet distances according to the published tables that Arca provides with each lens they mount.  A laser distometer is used for measuring distance.  I'm putting a lot of faith in Arca's engineering and the opinions of other Arca owners and dealers (my milage usually varies).  I will post results when I have the camera and lenses in hand. (? estimated 6-8 wks)

+1

With careful handling of your gear (long tele lenses should be wrapped carefully when placed in your bag to avoid torquing pressure on the end element) and careful controlled testing beforehand (e.g. finding the offset for your back is 2.4 focus points) you can repeat very accurate focus with an RM3Di using the setup he describes.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

hubell

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:45:28 am »

I am sure laser measuring devices work well in close, controlled environments. How well do they work at longer distances outdoors? In light rain? In fog? In low light?

bigstu

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:26:04 am »

Fog and rain - depends on how much - and how much focus accuracy does one need in a heavy fog or rain?
Low light - Lasers are at their best.
(These are the devices used by professional surveyors to make multi-million dollar legal documents)

I am open to better methods of focus, and eager to learn.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 03:37:13 pm »

To mix landscape with architecture.  If your shooting an house (or commercial building) and want to show the landscape, but not let it become overpowering, one could shoot from far way shifting the back up to capture the foreground.  The tilt feature of the RM3Di could then be used to compensate for longer lenses' shallow depth of field. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Graham Welland

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 05:15:12 pm »

I am sure laser measuring devices work well in close, controlled environments. How well do they work at longer distances outdoors? In light rain? In fog? In low light?

Personally I find the L8 distometer useful for close-mid close distances. Anything beyond 20-30ft and I don't bother.
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up