Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to expect in Glacier National Park  (Read 3242 times)

Jhaelen

What to expect in Glacier National Park
« on: June 02, 2003, 07:59:43 pm »

One of my favorite places...

Expect rain. Gear for it. Everytime ive been there on the western side it has rained.

Do some hiking. The main road is quite limited in areas you can pull off. The fern covered floors of the cedar groves are a favorite of mine. Carry some good fast film for under canopy shots. Talk to the rangers at the lake station on the western side about some easier places to hike into. Be aware of bears and carry bells, and perhaps bear spray into the back country areas. Seen quite a few myself.

If you have a canoe or want to rent one thats one of the best ways to get into some nice areas on the western lakes. You can also take the tour boat and have them drop you off so you can spend some time shooting and catch a later ferry back.

Take a good wide angle. I like shooting the waterfalls after a rain along the roadway. Wildlife shooting can be good even from the roadway. I have shots of black bear sows with cubs, grizzley, sheep, and birds from the roads.

Take plenty of film. Its expensive there.

Daniel

Dean

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 10:13:21 pm »

A common saying amoung experienced hikers is: "How do you tell the difference between black bear and grizzly scat? Grizzly scat has bells in it."  Forget bear bells.  They are totally worthless and a real anoyance.  The human voice is the best bear repellant, so just talk loudly as you hike, or yell especially near rushing water where its sound will mask your voice.

sw2

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 05:24:19 pm »

Visiting  Glacier National Park for 10 days the last week in June. I'll be using Kalispell as my home base. Any suggestions ?
Love those landscapes.
Thanks
Skip Wilson

sw2

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 09:42:15 pm »

Daniel,
   Thanks for the insight, I probably would have never thought to talk to the rangers. I can see hauling my gear will be tough even with a backpack. I figure I'll carry my 1Ds, 16-28 or 28- 70, 70-200, 2x extender, extra battery, 3-1 gig microdrives. I have a 40 gig digital wallet and a laptop for downloading at night. Let's not forget the stinking tripod, I hiked Yosemite and the Sequoias last summer and I have to tell you it was tough in the heat. I'm already tired but can't wait, just might have to hit the gym for the rest of the month.
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks again,
Skip
Pages: [1]   Go Up