Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stairs to Nowhere  (Read 2587 times)

Rob C

Stairs to Nowhere
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:05:01 am »

Michael

That's exactly the sort of setting that blows my mind away. You look at it and make a picture; I look at it and crave putting a model in it somewhere. That's why you make pictures and I go insane not making them. A fitting example from the website, added below.

I was going to say the start of a happy new year... instead, I feel the start of a persecution complex coming my way.

;-(

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:06:49 am by michael »

michael

Re: Stairs to Nowhere
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:21 am »

Well... just because someone is paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you.  ;)

Michael

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 01:14:00 pm »

Michael

That's exactly the sort of setting that blows my mind away. You look at it and make a picture; I look at it and crave putting a model in it somewhere. That's why you make pictures and I go insane not making them. A fitting example from the website, added below.

I was going to say the start of a happy new year... instead, I feel the start of a persecution complex coming my way.

;-(

Rob C
This is the tragedy of the female shooter Rob.

If you where a Landscape photographer, you will have disponible the all planet just for you every single second
If you where a reporter, there are enough atrocities and conflicts all over the world to feed Magnum and medias
If you where an amateur, gear will be enough to entertain you
If you where a wedding photographer, there are still enough .... to beleive that mariage has something to do with love
If you where an adventurer, there is always an exotic Buddist monk to photograph

but you choosed the worse: woman. What's your wall without the girls?

The problem of the girls, is that they have to be there.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:16:19 pm by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 02:20:33 pm »

This is the tragedy of the female shooter Rob.

If you where a Landscape photographer, you will have disponible the all planet just for you every single second
If you where a reporter, there are enough atrocities and conflicts all over the world to feed Magnum and medias
If you where an amateur, gear will be enough to entertain you
If you where a wedding photographer, there are still enough .... to beleive that mariage has something to do with love
If you where an adventurer, there is always an exotic Buddist monk to photograph

but you choosed the worse: woman. What's your wall without the girls?

The problem of the girls, is that they have to be there.

Fred, I can see that swallowing the uvas has not dampened your quick mind!

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 03:17:58 pm »

Fred, I can see that swallowing the uvas has not dampened your quick mind!...

For those trying to decipher Rob's cryptic message: "uvas" are grapes and a Spanish New Year tradition is to eat twelve grapes at midnight, one on each chime of the clock.  ;)

Happy New Year everyone!

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:35:37 pm »

For those trying to decipher Rob's cryptic message: "uvas" are grapes and a Spanish New Year tradition is to eat twelve grapes at midnight, one on each chime of the clock.  ;)

Happy New Year everyone!

You forgot the important bit: if you don't choke to death you may actually go on to have that happy new year!

Best wishes for 2011!

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:54:44 pm »

Happy New year to everyone.

Well, I haven't eaten the silly grapes. I tried that the first year and almost vomite. Then, this new years night and more generally all the christmass circus pisses me off, thank god it's finaly over. My last and latest new-year's night was 4 years ago after a party trying to come back home in a freezing night with a girl in 10cm high heels with zero taxi, all the people drunk, screaming and vomiting in the streets, some fights between drunk guys here or there, and with the bill of the restaurant I'd buy a brand new Phase One back.
And after the parties, the sales. The big news today is that spanish people will spend 10% less this year on the huge after-christmass-sales.

I need a good fashion shooting, now that all those insanities have finaly passed and mass had its dosis of...fun just before our leaders will increase all the taxes like each year, back into work...finally!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:03:48 pm by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:32:15 am »

Happy New year to everyone.

Well, I haven't eaten the silly grapes. I tried that the first year and almost vomite. Then, this new years night and more generally all the christmass circus pisses me off, thank god it's finaly over. My last and latest new-year's night was 4 years ago after a party trying to come back home in a freezing night with a girl in 10cm high heels with zero taxi, all the people drunk, screaming and vomiting in the streets, some fights between drunk guys here or there, and with the bill of the restaurant I'd buy a brand new Phase One back.
And after the parties, the sales. The big news today is that spanish people will spend 10% less this year on the huge after-christmass-sales.

I need a good fashion shooting, now that all those insanities have finaly passed and mass had its dosis of...fun just before our leaders will increase all the taxes like each year, back into work...finally!

Fred – we did that noche buena thing our first year here in Mallorca; had the worst, most expensive dinner ever, froze almost to death and realised that it has nothing to do with celebration and everything to do with exploitation.

It was a huge blast when I was in my late teens: wandering around in Scotland with a couple of friends, meeting friends of friends we didn’t know and ending up in houses we’d never seen before. Best forgotten, actually, along with many silly things connected with youth. I suppose the only good thing I can say for it, in retrospect, is that it was a form of ‘safe ?’ internal antifreeze that saw us home again in the morning, for better or for worse.

I hope I’m not pregnant; for the past few weeks I’ve been indulging an insatiable appetite for dried figs.

A sobering seasonal thought, I suppose.

Rob C

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:57:26 pm »

for the past few weeks I’ve been indulging an insatiable appetite for dried figs.

Certainly a splendid method of seeing out the Old...

Ray

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 12:41:22 am »

Michael

;-(

Rob C

Rob,
Too much blackness on the left of your image for my liking. This style of photography harks back to 16th century Caravaggio who purportedly used lenses and mirrors as an aid to realism. Whilst his subjects were projected onto the canvas, the background wasn't. So it might as well be black.

Here are a couple of relevant quotes on the subject, from the internet.

"We know that he worked in a dark room and that he was fascinated by mirrors, and he was living in Rome at a time when it was a hotbed of scientific inquiry. "Might he have used this technique? It's possible – his protector, Cardinal Del Monte, was also the protector of Galileo, and they were all fascinated by optics and the new physics."

In posting the next quote I have assumed you were joking about your persecution complex, so forgive me if I got that wrong.  :)

For those who don't believe Caravaggio was the first photographer (of sorts), there's another explanation from the psychologists.

It has been suggested, in fact, by psychologists indulging in art criticism, that Caravaggio's "tenebrism" (Italian -- tenebroso), a style of painting characterized by high contrast between bright light and dark, almost black, shade, which Caravaggio virtually invented, was the way that he actually saw the world: his eyesight, especially his contrast sensitivity, they say, was too acute and was an artifact of his madness. The phenomenon is quite well documented in modern psychology, both as a symptom of illness and as the result of sudden releases of adrenaline into the system.

Now don't get paranoid about this, Rob. They are merely opinions.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 04:14:06 am »

Certainly a splendid method of seeing out the Old...

Well, Chris, other than a fleeting worry about pregnancy, I suppose I am a regular guy...

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 04:23:18 am »

This style of photography harks back to 16th century Caravaggio who purportedly used lenses and mirrors as an aid to realism. Whilst his subjects were projected onto the canvas, the background wasn't. So it might as well be black.

Couldn't think of a better rôle model, Ray; I worked in his studio for a long time until I had to flee Rome when they released all those poxy lions to meet the sovereign deficit. And people wonder why I mourn the G.O.Ds!

Of course, I wasn't about to embrace tigers either, so in all my works I leave them dark areas where they can hide and do no harm...

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up