Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better Snow Leopard Epson Scanner Software?  (Read 1912 times)

spclark

Better Snow Leopard Epson Scanner Software?
« on: January 01, 2011, 12:16:57 pm »

My venerable Perfection 2400 Photo's software under Leopard (10.5) had far greater control over image quality than what Apple deemed to provide for it in Snow Leopard.

Is there some way to get back to what I had before migrating to 10.6?

Really don't want to pay for a new scanner to fix something that wasn't broken.

bertgf

Re: Better Snow Leopard Epson Scanner Software?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:17:10 pm »

Try Vuescan software.  It has a great reputation though i have never used it and it comes in a Mac version.  http://www.hamrick.com

spclark

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 01:45:56 pm »

Thanks.

I've used VS in the past & found it worthwhile, downloaded the new version's demo just released today.

It doesn't provide any means of curve manipulation or gamma / levels control which is what I was hoping to regain.

The Apple/Image Capture interface leave a LOT to be desired, considering what capabilities Epson's software enabled before SL took over.

Be a PITA to keep an older OS boot volume available just for scanning but that may be my only recourse.

jaapb

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:39:44 am »

It doesn't provide any means of curve manipulation or gamma / levels control which is what I was hoping to regain.

Yes it does. Admittedly Vuescan has a clunky interface but allows essential image manipulation. I have 3 different scanners, 2 Nikons and 1 Epson flatbed, operated through one Vuescan interface (and one license) which makes learning it worhwile. No need to buy different Silverfast versions per scanner.
Pro version is colormanaged, does decent colornegative scanning, is great in bulk scanning and supports "scanner-raw" workflow to name a few functionalities.
Again it is quite clunky so you need to spend more time than just download and dismiss it shortly thereafter.

Jaap
Pages: [1]   Go Up