Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultra Violet Coating sapping color  (Read 1772 times)

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
Ultra Violet Coating sapping color
« on: January 21, 2003, 07:07:26 pm »

I had uncoated tubes once on my heads and they do produce a color shift. I had to get the UV ones. However I don't know whats within your acceptable limits of tolerance. If you are shooting film, remember different film types register colour in different ways.

Hank

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 01:36:10 pm »

Brian-

Interesting problem.  Please keep us posted on the solution you find.  

I'm too far over my head to provide a solution, but when my feet won't touch bottom I go directly to a higher authority.  Have you considered contacting the maker of your strobes and discussing it with their engineers?  I suspect that with your equipment/experience and company credentials they would sit up and take notice of your problem, suggesting solutions or perhaps even conducting experiments of their own.  They certainly will have the coated strobes on hand, and almost certainly the right kinds of testing/monitoring equipment for evaluating the results.  

Hank

Brian R

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 09:58:58 am »

I'm not sure where to post this exactly. I have been shooting a new product my company has been producing, and am having a color issue. The product has a UV coating to protect against fading. After I calibrate the camera and capture the image, I have noticed that the magenta layer is de-saturated. In other words the product is green.
  I'm shooting with uncoated strobes, and was wondering if UV coated strobe tubes would help with this problem. I have no color issues with any of the myriad of other products we produce so I'm sure it's the UV coating.
  Any thoughts or ideas anyone may have would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you

Brian R.

Brian R

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 08:09:27 am »

Thanks Sergio,
  I should have been more specific. I use a Leaf Volare 3 pass digital camera. I ballance every time I shoot and have no color problems other than the one I mentioned befor. For the company I work For color is king, so the tolerance is quite small.

Brian R.

Brian R

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 11:57:56 am »

Thanks Hank.
  I have just finished testing UV gels on my strobes and they had no effect. I am starting to think this may have more to do with the RGB 3-pass digital system. The problem is limited to this UV coated product so it must be the way the coating affects the color seperations. This is only my latest theory but I have Leaf America working on it right now.
  Again, if anyone has any thoughts please send them in.

Brian R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up