Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technical Camera Overview 2011  (Read 5189 times)

David Klepacki

Technical Camera Overview 2011
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:10:46 pm »

The topic of technical cameras still seems to be popular, so I am attaching a brief overview of the most popular choices out there.  It is an updated version of something I posted earlier in 2010 on another forum.  Hopefully, some folks will find this helpful.

tho_mas

Re: Technical Camera Overview 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:20:50 pm »

actually... you can add the Alpa HP focus rings to all brands using the classical helicoid focus rings.
The focus rings are made by Schneider and Rodenstock (the regular rings I mean)... so the Alpa HP focus rings will also fit on a WRS or arTec or so...

nice table - thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:40:05 pm by tho_mas »

Peter Devos

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 03:32:15 pm »

Not really a technical camera the way we used to know it but you also may have a look at the Hartblei HB1 and it's special editions wich also accept TC lenses.

David Klepacki

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 03:34:01 pm »

Thank you thomas and Peter.  I will wait a few more days to see if anyone else spots anything and then update chart this one last time .... at least until another tech camera comes out.

jps

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 05:18:47 pm »

David
Very useful table.Thank you.
One small correction - the arTec has vertical movements of 25mm/15mm and horizontal 20mm/20mm

Also Im intrigued as to what the HP focus rings are - couldnt see anything about them on the Alpa site - ?

Cheers JOHN

tho_mas

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:30:12 pm »

Also Im intrigued as to what the HP focus rings are - couldnt see anything about them on the Alpa site - ?
scroll down a bit: http://www.alpa.ch/en/news/2010/alpa-photokina2010-news0
yet to be released

jps

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 05:37:41 pm »

Thanks

they look NICE - I want some!
JOHN

tho_mas

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 05:39:22 pm »

bigstu

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »

Taking bets on a new Arca Rm1  - a "no-shift" version to compete with the the Alpa TC.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 03:41:07 pm »

The topic of technical cameras still seems to be popular, so I am attaching a brief overview of the most popular choices out there.  It is an updated version of something I posted earlier in 2010 on another forum.  Hopefully, some folks will find this helpful.

How many thousand Sinar P2 and P3s do you think are in use professionally?

It seems to me that you have mentioned all the toys (I mean lightweight cameras with restricted movements) an no full-blown professional cameras.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

adammork

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:34:11 pm »

It seems to me that you have mentioned all the toys (I mean lightweight cameras with restricted movements) an no full-blown professional cameras.

But those toy cameras are cable of creating a sharp images on the entire sensor when using wide lenses.......  ;)

tho_mas

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 05:56:37 pm »

AFAIK the table shows a comparision of cameras David actually tested (to evaluate which camera to buy). It's not meant to be an overview over all cameras available.
But you're most welcome to add the specs of your professional kit to the list of our toys.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:08 am »

But those toy cameras are cable of creating a sharp images on the entire sensor when using wide lenses.......  ;)
So are MFDSLRs, but the difference you should get with a full-blown technical cameras is a full range of movements.

adammork

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 05:32:57 am »

So are MFDSLRs, but the difference you should get with a full-blown technical cameras is a full range of movements.

.... and a full range of challenges if you want to create a sharp images with wide angels.
It was not for fun that I parted from 3 different 4x5 Arca's with tons of asessories when I got my DB, I really liked to work with them, but I also likes my Alpa's now - a lot!

/adam

henrikfoto

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 11:40:12 am »

Is it a general feeling that the Alpa is less prone to flare than the Arca Swiss?

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:28 pm »

AFAIK the table shows a comparision of cameras David actually tested (to evaluate which camera to buy). It's not meant to be an overview over all cameras available.
But you're most welcome to add the specs of your professional kit to the list of our toys.

Most of the relevant info is here, from the Sinar site...

Sinar p3

Sinaron Digital CMV lenses – with electronic between-the-lens shutter
The Sinaron Digital CMV Lens with an electronically controlled between-the-lens shutter is mounted on a lens board with 100 mm sides. This shutter makes absolutely vibration-free exposures possible as needed for Multishot with perfect colors (4-shot mode) or for the highest detail resolution (16-shot mode). The new between-the-lens shutter is controlled by the Sinar CaptureShop™ software. Therefore, no additional or separate controlling device is needed for the lenses.
Practical accessories
The adjustment settings and ranges of the new Sinar p3 view camera are optimized for use with Sinarback digital backs. The asymmetric swing and tilt axes can be displayed in the live image of the Sinar CaptureShop™, allowing an easy and pixel-accurate positioning of the plane of sharpness. In addition, an accessory standard, tailored to the size and to the adjustment range, is available for bellows extensions or for the use of a bellows as a lens hood.
•   The Sinar p3 is based on the unique asymmetric tilts and swings, not the traditional center or base tilts. This means rapid and precise settings, without ever loosing sharpness on the axis.
•   You can calculate exact swings and tilts in seconds using the asymmetric movements and measuring scales. You won´t have to guess at your movements anymore, and it´s fast - very fast. How?
•   All Sinar p3 movements are gear driven and feature zero position click stops.
•   The Sinar p3´s precision micrometer drives are smooth and self-arresting. Once a movement is set, it stays. You get easy one-hand operation, and no more wrestling with locking knobs.
•   Depth of field calculator tells you exactly how much depth of filed you need for your image, forever eliminating excessive stopping down.
•   Compatible with the proven Sinar System of accessories.
•   Accepts all Sinaron and Sinaron Digital CMV lenses that can be mounted on a 100 mm lens board. When used in conjunction of a Sinar m camera also all Sinaron Digital CAB lenses mounted on a 100 mm lens board can be used.
•   Camera format: 100 mm
o   Adjustment ranges
•   Vertical shifts: +4cm to -2cm*
•   Horizontal shifts: Left 3cm to Right 5cm
•   Coarse tilt: ±45°
•   Fine tilt: ±19°
•   Swing: ±50°
•   Fine focus: 5 cm
•   Bellows extensions with
•   Multipurpose Bellows: 2 to 15 cm
•   Weight: 5.2 kg

* the adjustment ranges for a P2 converted to P3 are 8cm total, each axis, each end, geared. The fine tilt is geared, but not the coarse tilt.

By using the P3 with Sinar P2 components, extensions of over a meter are possible.

I is difficult to use it with non-retro-focus lenses shorter than about 47mm... for short lenses you need the Wide angle (bag) bellows.

The F3 is a lighter version without geared movements.

It would be nice if the other MFD view cameras were lens-board compatible so I could use them without spending a fortune on another set of lenses, or changing lensboards.

The Sinar is mostly a studio system, but one of it's greatest features is daylight live view, with the LCD shutter... I now have nearly all the components I need.

As long as you can lug it to where you need it, you can usually do what you need to do with the Sinar system.

You can buy a P2 for about a grand, convert it to a P3 and gradually build up a comprehensive system, but the total new replacement cost of an "All bells and whistles" system is "rather more".

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 11:02:54 pm »

As the Arca RM3di has the largest throat of any of the Tech cameras currently out there, it follows that flare is lower inherently
before the anodizing is even applied.  So IMHO it would not be found that Arca is more prone but rather way less prone to flare than any other cameras available.
 :)
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up