Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scheduling printing of nozzle check on mac  (Read 3028 times)

Pat O'Connor

scheduling printing of nozzle check on mac
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:55:28 am »

Hello, I would like to script or automate the printing of a nozzle check (epson 4800). Ideally would like to do this once every 24hrs. I have very little experience with scripting or automater so any step by step help, or link to, a script that works would be gratefully appreciated. So far I have managed to take a screengrab of the test pattern and can invoke automator to print that daily via iCal. I would still like to invoke the epson utility to do this so that I would know exactly where I am wrt which nozzles are down. I have tried to use the 'watch me do' script but it seems to be totally unreliable.
Regards Pat

Ernst Dinkla

Re: scheduling printing of nozzle check on mac
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:44:11 am »

There is Autoprint from MIS.

http://inksupply.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=28

PC only and I think not very up to date.

Several comments on this:

1/ a firmware initiated direct driving of head nozzles to make the nozzle test pattern is totally different from a nozzle test image printed through an application + printer driver.

2/ while you might get a daily showing of nozzle defects/functions if you get printer utility nozzle test function scheduled it most likely will not solve or even make nozzle clogging worse. Too little ink is used to make the nozzle test pattern that it refreshes head content etc. In that sense you better print several full color bars with the MIS utility to keep nozzles open.

3/ the fact that you need a test like that daily indicates that there are problems. A printer should print correct right away without checking the nozzle pattern before the job or daily.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +190 inkjet papers, Epson range included:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Pat O'Connor

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 09:57:40 am »

Thank you Ernst. This is a long in the tooth and well used 4800 that is starting to have a tendency to clog more the longer it is left unused (up to two weeks occasionally). Maybe a better designed image with solid colour bars would help keep the nozzles from clogging. 

Regards Pat

ps Happy new year all

na goodman

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 10:10:21 am »

I think you want something like this http://www.harveyheadcleaner.com/
If you go under the FAQ you will find info about a Mac version, which there is not one and why.
So, I think you are correct in thinking there is more to it to involve the Epson utility. Sounds like you should try the script that you have automated and see how that works.

Pat O'Connor

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:25:49 pm »

Managed to get where I initially wanted to get to by using QuicKeys. I can schedule and print nozzle check using this software.
Regards Pat
Pages: [1]   Go Up