Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the thickness of Canson Platine?  (Read 8443 times)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
What is the thickness of Canson Platine?
« on: December 31, 2010, 01:02:52 am »

I cannot find this piece of information anywhere on Canson's website, and they have not responded to my queries.  Does anyone happen to know how thick this paper is?

Rob

aniemann

• photographs
Re: What is the thickness of Canson Platine?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 01:21:53 am »

YES! I'd like to know too. I'm getting head strikes so need to set my platen height differently. A rough visual guess with a ruler looks like .7mm, but something more accurate would be nice. Same problem with Canson as far as getting info goes.

Andy

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 03:56:50 am »

0.375 mm, 0.0147 inch, 310 gr/m2

'met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +190 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

aniemann

• photographs
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 05:42:09 am »

Thank you Ernst. I guess my ruler measuring attempt was not quite on...  ;^) .....Which means my head strikes must be from ink swelling then - I've set it to widest platen and 10mm (epson 3880) and that has stopped the problem.

Andy

robgo2

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:51:51 pm »

0.375 mm, 0.0147 inch, 310 gr/m2

'met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +190 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Ernst,

Thanks,

Rob

robgo2

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53:04 pm »

Thank you Ernst. I guess my ruler measuring attempt was not quite on...  ;^) .....Which means my head strikes must be from ink swelling then - I've set it to widest platen and 10mm (epson 3880) and that has stopped the problem.

Andy

This is strange.  I also use an Epson 3880, and I do not experience head strikes with paper thickness set at 4.  This is when I am printing out of CS5 and using the Epson driver.  I experimented printing with Image Print, and I did get head strikes.

Rob

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:37:12 am »

Dane Creek Photography has compiled a paper database that includes paper thicknesses for many papers.
http://www.danecreekfolios.com/inkjet-paper-list/
Plantine is not on the list but may be useful to others wanting information on other papers

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 04:39:42 am »

This is strange.  I also use an Epson 3880, and I do not experience head strikes with paper thickness set at 4.  This is when I am printing out of CS5 and using the Epson driver.  I experimented printing with Image Print, and I did get head strikes.

Rob

Both weight and paper thickness do not tell all about a paper's behaviour in the printer's transport. Sizing of the paper base can make a paper much more rigid than the other parameters suggest. A flexible example is Hahnemühle's German Etching 310 gsm, a lot of papers of the same weight are more rigid. Curling of a paper usually occurs with changing humidity: an imbalance of the two sides of the paper to that humidity condition or a sheet package/ream where humidity affected the sheet edges and not the centre. It can create a permanent difference in flatness. The combination of rigidity and humidity curling effects makes things worse. If papers were not kept at 55% humidity consistenly and changes have occured then some decurling + a much higher humidity in the printing room to reduce the rigidity may help at print time. The other packages shouldn't be there then. The higher humidity will make the inkjet coating weaker though so pizza wheels etc may make their mark then.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

martinreed22

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 03:51:50 pm »

FWIW, I'm also finding that printing on Platine sheets on a 3880 with paper thickness of 4 and platen gap of wide has stopped the head strikes I was getting with default settings.

Cheers, Martin

Mr. Capp

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:31:11 pm »

anyone else notice only in the dark shadow areas what look like micro scratches? Almost like fibers that are lighter than the rest of the shadows. I don't know if it's the humidity or the amount of black being laid down causes some "scraping" of the surface but it's pretty noticeable. I've tried wider platens, paper thickness etc, tested nozzles but can only attribute it to this dry Boston climate. It's only 30% humidity in here, even with the humidifier running.  might be time for a bigger humidifier. Any response would be welcome.
-Michael

AveryRagan

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 05:52:02 pm »

I have been using Canson Platine with my 4880 for a amost a year. I personally have found it to be one of the most scratch resistant surfaces I have used in sheet and roll.

The humidity here is high but I don't know if that has any effect on scratching.

I love this paper.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:02 am »

anyone else notice only in the dark shadow areas what look like micro scratches? Almost like fibers that are lighter than the rest of the shadows. I don't know if it's the humidity or the amount of black being laid down causes some "scraping" of the surface but it's pretty noticeable. I've tried wider platens, paper thickness etc, tested nozzles but can only attribute it to this dry Boston climate. It's only 30% humidity in here, even with the humidifier running.  might be time for a bigger humidifier. Any response would be welcome.
-Michael

I have seen exactly the same thing. The darkest areas, when viewed closely under plenty of light, show little randomly-oriented isolated fibers that appear lighter than the rest of the shadows. Very strange. I have not seen this on any other paper.

And yes, I'm in the Boston area, too.  Hmmm ...   ;)
Eric Chan

johncustodio

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 05:41:43 pm »

anyone else notice only in the dark shadow areas what look like micro scratches? Almost like fibers that are lighter than the rest of the shadows.

YES!! I have 2 boxes of 13x19 sheets with the same problem. A previous box of 17x22 was OK, and a recent 24" roll is OK too. When I get a chance I'm going to contact Canson about it.

I first noticed it on several prints with large dark areas. Looked like a slight grain that I hadn't seen in prints on other papers from these same files. Upon closer examination with a magnifier I saw what appeared to be thousands of small paper fibers slightly lighter than the dark background. Note that you cannot see these fibers on the unprinted paper, only in areas covered by dark ink.

-John

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 06:38:22 pm »

Yes, you can see it under good light and with some magnification.  Under normal viewing conditions it is imperceptible.  I tested some Plantine two months ago along with several other different papers including Canson Baryta Photogaphique (8 1/2 x 11).  On all my test prints you can see this effect (I don't think they are true scratches) on the Plantine but NOT the Baryta paper.  It also appears in some colors but not others.  One of my test prints has very deep reds and you cannot see any difference between papers.  Darker colors it's there and as others have noted particularly in shadow areas.  I suspect this is an artifact of the coating (though one cannot rule out a manufacturing problem) and it would be good to hear from others who use this paper whether they have reported this to Canson or not and if so, what Canson's response is.  I'm tempted to use the paper as I do like rag papers and if a print is matted and framed I doubt that this is visible (though I'm withholding judgement until I've actually seen one).

Quite curious.

Alan

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 12:16:35 am »

I recently got a box of Platine to try, I was impressed but on reading this got out my loupe and yes in the dark areas it looks like random fibre dust or small hairs. Only noticeable in bright light with magnification though. I did give the print a brush, no change.
I would never have known. I do like the paper though and will try more.

Mr. Capp

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 10:47:25 am »

Hello,
I actually had contacted Canson in nearby Hadley, MA and spoke with someone before actually sending
Prints to them for consideration. They concluded that there was an excess of "little white fibers" showing up
In the shadows and I ended up with a replacement. She was actually going to send the prints to France to be inspected at the plant. The most noticeable effect was on a box of 8x10 I had. The prints couldn't really hold any shadow detail and ended up looking hazy and just unacceptable. The 13x19 I had was better but still had this "haze" but not as bad but still noticeable under a stronger light. Canson was great about it and offered replacements immediately. I like the paper but feel it could be a bit smoother, perhaps more like Photorag baryta which I feel is a cut above the canson, a bit smoother and the surface almost appears like an emulsion the way the ink sets into it. Really great shadows(super dense, no fibers)Still I would like an even smoother rag surface. Anyway, i think i settled on the canson Baryta photographique(sp?) it's got the smoothness I really like, it's realy sharp, yes very close to GFS but I just like it better. I was having problems with scratches with GFS on larger sizes, that's why I tried the rags out, to lessen the possibility of curling. I found I love the feel of the rags but the surface was just not smooth enough for me. Harman was too smooth, or glossy or whathaveyou.
I would love to see Canson make a Platine Baryta! a super smooth rag would really hit the sweet spot. Anyway after I got two humidifiers running I have not had a problem with my 3800 scratching prints. Especially with the canson. The one problem is that the canson profiles are pretty weak. I just read about using the GFS profile for it and it really makes sense and so I will try it. Things just looked muddy with the canson canned profile so I had the really bump everything up to get it straightened out but even then it seems off kilter. If anyone has a custom canson baryta profile for a 3800 i would love to borrow it.

Best,
Michael

howardm

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 01:09:31 pm »

I'm in Concord, MA and have a box of Canson Baryta P.,  a 3800 and a ColorMunki.  i can try to make a custom profile this wknd (want to let each sheet dry 24h).  I have limited experience w/ the Canson Baryta but have not noticed the haziness you speak of.

Did you speak to Tiffany @ Canson?  She's really great w/ customer service.  Very impressed by the company.

Mr. Capp

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »

No I dealt with Laura, she was very helpful. The haziness was on certain boxes of the platine. The muddiness was with the baryta canned profile. So if you do make A profile for the baryta would love to try it.
Thanks,
Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up