Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645D and Leica S2  (Read 10857 times)

fredjeang

Re: Pentax 645D and Leica S2
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 03:06:36 pm »

Guys, Happy new year to all.

I'm completly blured in this thread and do not catch this level of english.

Is it a thread about focussing?, assistants?, S2?, 645D? (I guess the 645D is a non-assistant-camera), about snows or mini snows?

It seems to be a thread about high precision, focusing.  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:09:16 pm by fredjeang »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 06:22:00 pm »

I think this is a very fuzzy and unfocused thread - ok you can call it a rope used to ring in the new year :)

Edmund

Is it a thread about focussing?, assistants?, S2?, 645D? (I guess the 645D is a non-assistant-camera), about snows or mini snows?

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 04:55:52 am »

Hi,

Regarding inglese, these pages may help ;-): http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inducción_matemática (oh, just kidding)

Regarding the precision in focusing it is quite important. Would you invest like 300 kUSD in a camera you would expect it to focus correctly. Some authors on the net have found that consistent focus is hard to achieve. One of the authors, Lloyd Chambers has found the issue on two different samples of Leica S3, Leica M9, Pentax 645D (to lesser extent, Sonya Alpha 900 with 135/1.8 Sonnar and also some f/1.4 wide angles on Nikon D3X and D3s.

C'tein had also an article on the issue (which I cannot find) and Joseph Holmes discusses the issue:

http://www.josephholmes.com/news-sharpmediumformat.html

http://www.josephholmes.com/news-medformatprecision.html

On the other hand, Mark Dubovoy is quite impressed by AF on the Leica S2, and "bcooter" found no significant issue on his equipment, except a single lens from Leica that had back focus.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 11:13:37 am »

The 645D has custom function C33 AF Fine Adjustment. But this is for the whole body, not for individual lenses.

Incorrect. The 645D stores fine focus adjustment for each lens type, just not for individual copies of the same lens.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 01:51:16 pm »

I guess the best plan is simply to buy the camera you like and use it.

Always.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

icemansven

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »

Incorrect. The 645D stores fine focus adjustment for each lens type, just not for individual copies of the same lens.

- N.

You are correct. I should have read the manual. I only looked in the custom menu. My mistake.  :-[
The menu is a lite bit misguiding.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »

Anyway, I'd say that focus issues differences hit visibly at 8x10 size, while resolution waits till A3, so a good dSLR will beat MF in everyday use, and MF will demolish a dSLR in demanding applications.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BJL

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 04:02:53 pm »

... MF will demolish a dSLR in demanding applications.
Probably so if your sole criterion for "demanding applications" is higher resolution/sharpness/detail in a single frame than the D3X, A900 or A850 give, but there are many other demands in professional and serious amateur photography (like anything involving high speed, be it high shutter speed or high frame rate or even just fast changes of focal length between shots), and some of these are handled far better by DSLRs in 35mm format, or even smaller.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 04:37:22 pm »

Test. Just checking my portfolio link.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 04:53:03 pm »

Hi,

In my view there is no way around the fact that a larger sensor can collect more photons and offer better MTF of for a given size of detail. Now, DSLRs may be more refined than MFDBs in several areas. Let's not forget that DSLR makers nowadays are powerhouses of electronics, at least Canon, Sony, Panasonic and Samsung but even Nikon is a giant compared to Phase One or Leica.

Depending on shooting situation either system may be preferable. But it's quite obvious that in an optimal setting MF can play to it's strength.

On the other hand I don't really think there is some magic behind MFDBs (except the photographer, of course).

Stitching is not always possible. Some programs, like Autopano Pro, are good at handling things that move but water and waves are still difficult. On the other hand, stitching is always an option. My gear fits in my pockets, except the camera, of course.

Would I buy an MF system I would be concerned about lack of live view. I'm certainly concerned about not having it on my Alpha 900.

Best regards
Erik

Probably so if your sole criterion for "demanding applications" is higher resolution/sharpness/detail in a single frame than the D3X, A900 or A850 give, but there are many other demands in professional and serious amateur photography (like anything involving high speed, be it high shutter speed or high frame rate or even just fast changes of focal length between shots), and some of these are handled far better by DSLRs in 35mm format, or even smaller.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:55:51 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up