Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Yosemite Tips  (Read 6713 times)

David Muoio

Winter Yosemite Tips
« on: March 21, 2003, 04:31:02 pm »

I just got back from Big Sky, Montana and Yellowstone was closed.  I had planned on spending a day there taking photographs.

According to a local they close the park sometime in the fall.  They re-open in Mid December for winter use (snowmobiles, etc.).  Sometime in mid March they close it again and eventually plow the roads for spring/summer.

This year they closed a week early so I didn't get to go.  I would contact the park service before embarking on the trip.

-Dave

wagee

• www.warrenagee.com
Winter Yosemite Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2003, 11:37:07 pm »

Thanks for the comments, Lisa. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I plan on calling ahead next week to check on weather and snow cover conditions. Sounds like I should be prepared for soggy conditions if it's warming up. Time to check on my supply of ziplock bags!

Warren

wagee

• www.warrenagee.com
Winter Yosemite Tips
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 12:02:24 pm »

Hi all,

I lurk most of the time but enjoy this site a great deal. Thoughtful, intelligent, and inspiring. Keep up the good work!

Anyways, I am planning a last-minute photo-vacation to Yosemite for March 30 - April 2. I've only been to the area once before (and at the time only did a whirlwind 2 hour tour of Yosemite Valley). So I'm a newbie to YV and also a newbie to wintertime photography. I'm staying in a standard room at Curry Village.

Rather than rushing around taking snaps, my goal is to take my time and (hopefully) obtain a high-quality body of images. I'll be using a Nikon D100 (and an F100 for backup).

I'm currently reading up on Yosemite spots and am hip to most of the wintertime tips (keep spare batteries warm, bring camera in from cold gradually, etc, etc).

Any tips or suggestions for good spots, strategies, or just general Yosemite wintertime advice?  ???

Thanks in advance,
Warren Agee

nniko

Winter Yosemite Tips
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 11:54:50 am »

I visit Yosemite fairly often, at all times of year, and have a few comments.

First, late March & early April isn't really "winter".  Spring is getting going.  You won't have to worry too much about extreme-cold-weather equipment care.  Though there might possibly be a little snowfall, it's more likely to be substantially above freezing.  If you're lucky and late March is warm, the waterfalls may be getting going well (though usually May & June are much better).  Because of that, I recommend bringing a very waterproof camera bag (maybe even enclosed in a plastic bag) to protect your equipment from spray on some of the trails, just in case (part of the trail to Vernal Falls is officially called "The Mist Trail", with good reason).  If indeed the waterfalls are going pretty well, then they will be the most photogenic things in the valley (again, if you're lucky and the weather's been warm...).  The trail to Vernal Falls & Nevada Falls is particularly breathtaking.
Other than that, it's hard to find bad views (except behind a bus!).  Just wandering around the valley floor looking up at the cliffs is a fine thing to do.  It's also obligatory for the first-time visitor to find the two standard picture-postcard locations: "Tunnel View" (see the official park map), and the road turnout right next to the river on the north side of the valley loop near the west end of the valley (which has a great view across the river and back east up the valley).
Also, if the Snow Creek Trail is in decent condition yet (talk to a ranger about its condition; there is supposedly some danger of landslides in spring, but I've done it partway in winter/spring anyway), there are great views of Half Dome and Quarter Domes across the valley, and it is particularly  uncrowded (though steep).

Lisa

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Winter Yosemite Tips
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:49:58 pm »

Good info in all of these posts, but I wanted to point out that the OP was actually talking about Yellowstone and not Yosemite.

"I just got back from Big Sky, Montana and Yellowstone was closed."
- Dean

Mr.Gale

Re: Winter Yosemite Tips
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 02:23:12 am »

Did you notice this thread is almost 9 years old?

Gale

Pages: [1]   Go Up