Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrator not profiling accurately (i1) , plus digital colour meter  (Read 2202 times)

B_D

Hi there, I have an major issue with my system where I have recently not been able to create accurate profiles. I am on a mac pro with a lacie 319 running Leopard (up to date) with Eye-one Match 3.6.3. I have created four profiles over two days, the results from each day not only are not visually inaccurate, but slightly different, although most noticeably in contrast than colour. In photoshop a file filled with a solid grey (128,128,128) looks a warmish green. Interestingly when I hover the picker from the digital colour meter utility above this file it reads 127, 129, 119 which fits in exactly with how it is appearing visually to me. When I go into the display preferences in System preferences and choose the default monitor profile i get a reading of 110, 110, 110 which while wrong in terms of luminosity is at least neutral. If I go to an earlier profile I made at the end of the summer I get 128, 128,128.  The monitor is set to 6500k with the factory defaults of 100% brightness, 50% contrast and 50% black level, which I have never altered. I have reinstalled the profiling software to eliminate that. In all cases the monitor has been left running for at least an hour before calibration.

If anyone help me figure out what the issue is I'd be really greatful! In my mind it could be a) the profiling device (over 4 years old) b) the monitor c) the OS /some preference somewhere that somehow corrupted.

Any one got any ideas?

Also If anyone has any advice on the colour picker utillity Id be really greatful as I'm not sure what it references for its readout.

RHPS

Re: Calibrator not profiling accurately (i1) , plus digital colour meter
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 03:48:39 pm »

It rather looks as if you have your Color Settings wrong in Photoshop. What is your RGB working space? Are you by any chance using your monitor profile here? Under Color Management Policies do you have RGB set to "Convert to Working RGB"?

If you load a file with 128, 128,128, it should stay as that unless you are converting to a different profile - like the monitor profile. This can happen if your color settings are wrong.

The color picker in PS simply reads the RGB values in the file. If the file is tagged with a profile then PS will use the profile to deduce the color from the RGB values. The Info palette can show you all the information you need about this, including the image profile. Whatever happens, changing the monitor profile should not change any of these image values.

B_D

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »

PS working space is Adobe 1998, Document is Adobe 1998, View  proof colours is off etc. Photoshop is set up correctly. I created the file in photoshop with those RGB values. The issue is not specific to photoshop either. I understand how the photoshop colour picker works, my point is that my screen is warm in spite of being profiled. When I use the DigitalColor meter utility (found /Applications/Utilities) the colour readout I am getting when I hover over a file I know is 128/128/128 is 127/129/119. I don't really understand how the digital colour meter works, although its normally fairly accurate, and why its displaying rgb values that don't match the file, but do match what i'm seeing.

tho_mas

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 04:42:55 pm »

In my mind it could be a) the profiling device (over 4 years old)
yep, possibly the 4 year old i1 display.
I would rent another i1 display for a day and check it.

B_D

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:33:46 am »

Turns out was a problem with profiling device.

MrSmith

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 06:58:35 pm »

the colour filters inside the i1 change over time, my calibrations had a very strong magenta cast.
cured by buying a spyder3

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:54:26 pm »

Hmm...  It would seem to me that that's what the device calibration step is for--compensate for aging of the device, to a point then reporting failure.  I'm surprised that the device could go bad without the profiling software catching this.

That's too bad.

But I'm glad you got your issue resolved, B_D.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up