Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: An attempt at landscape ... and horses!  (Read 6197 times)

deeyas

• http://www.sayeedmahmood.com
An attempt at landscape ... and horses!
« on: December 26, 2010, 10:42:29 pm »

Merry Christmas everyone! It's been a while since I've posted anything. With a fresh round of snow in North Carolina, I was lured into taking these snaps. I haven't really taken photographs in the snow before (particularly of snow!). I found this to be a little challenging. It was a gloomy day; made the snow look flat on the screen so I added some grain to it. Comments, suggestions, and links to your shots-in-the-snow are most welcome.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: An attempt at landscape ... and horses!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:23:13 am »

Sayeed, That's a very fine shot, though I'm not sure I like the grain. Hope you're ready for the coming avalanche of cropping recommendations.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

John R

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:19:08 pm »

I like the first image for its painterly quality and its simplicity. It has a distinct ethereal feel, like looking through a window and watching snow fall. Magical! The bottom white area balances the rest of the image and reinforces and accentuates the ethereal quality of the softness of the scene. Allowing snow to go slightly grey works well when the aim is to enhance expression, so I think the grey works fairly well and is a matter of taste. There are three slight bands at the bottom that are slightly noticable. I don't think they are that objectionable and I really like the proportions you have now, so I would not mess with it. Perhaps the digital experts can suggest something in this regard.

Re the second image, I feel the horses and tree outline are somewhat hemmed in, especially as compared to the first image. To me, the horizontal format coupled with the whiteness of the scene is asking for a more expansive view on both sides of the visible scene, so that the proportion of the whiteness (and therefore softness), to the visible scene is more balanced aesthetically. But, this is an excellent image also, and I may be unduly prejudiced by viewing and enjoying the first image so much. Cropping? Why bother, if it is not in YOUR vision. Anyone can crop.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:20:39 pm by John R »

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:38:23 pm »

A personal thought: not wise to offer an audience alternatives on the same take. Shows you aren't sure yourself. Have done exactly that, too, and regretted it.

But a good shot/subject and I prefer the first rendition.

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:56:51 pm »

Sayeed, That's a very fine shot, though I'm not sure I like the grain. Hope you're ready for the coming avalanche of cropping recommendations.
;D ;D ;D
Russ, I always have a good laugh when I read your remarks about the croppers.

I imagine you, in front of an american door house with a gun and instead of the sign "no trepassing", it's written "no cropping".

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:00:34 pm »

Thank you for posting this image. It suggests a simple, beautiful, serene scene. I suspect the grittiness if the grain is a little too much for my own tastes, and would only be able to be decided upon in print - and at the finished size and viewing distance. For me the top image is far stronger by far. The second one goes in the basket of orinary for me, whilst the first one has a more individual interperetation of the scene.

Julie

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:36 pm »

The top one would be great as a personal greeting card, let's say:

"Hoping you have peace in the New Year"    above the horses.

And beneath the horses:

"All our love from the seeyas jr. member family in N.C."

What is your name anyway?  Alan.

deeyas

• http://www.sayeedmahmood.com
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 10:16:48 pm »

Thanks for the comments! I do like the first image better than the cropped one; I think the horizontal orientation and empty space add to the image. I find posting alternatives helpful as it enables me to understand other members' perspective.
The bands at the bottom of the first image were barbed wire. While composing the shot, I though that it would add to the image, but the particular shot I selected from the sequence was taken at f/2.0, rendering the barbed wire out of focus. I've tried to remove it from the image and also scaled back on the grain. Here is another shot from the day.

- Sayeed

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 11:19:56 pm »

Russ, I always have a good laugh when I read your remarks about the croppers.

I imagine you, in front of an american door house with a gun and instead of the sign "no trepassing", it's written "no cropping".

Ha!… We won't tolerate this... I say: croppers of the world, unite… and fight this anti-cropping imperialism!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 12:14:34 am »

I like the third too.  The 4th the fence bothers me a little.  Alan

degrub

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 12:24:52 am »

+1 for # 3
The fence is visually disturbing to my eyes.

Frank

stamper

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 03:52:09 am »

The problem with the white areas in the first three is that they don't look like snow. Too white and no sign of anything disturbing the area. The grain looks like snow so it adds to the scene. I don't suggest cropping the white areas but what about a guillotine?  :)

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 04:20:08 am »

The problem with the white areas in the first three is that they don't look like snow. Too white and no sign of anything disturbing the area. The grain looks like snow so it adds to the scene. I don't suggest cropping the white areas but what about a guillotine?  :)

There you are: politics will out!

Happy New Year, stamper.

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 05:59:21 am »

I do like the first image better than the cropped one...

See!

stamper

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 06:25:40 am »

There you are: politics will out!

Happy New Year, stamper.

Rob C

But a good shot/subject and I prefer the first rendition.

Rob C

You started the politics with your rendition post? ;) ;D

Happy New year to you and the rest when it comes :)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 12:33:43 pm »

I don't suggest cropping the white areas but what about a guillotine?  :)
For cropping off heads? The croppers cropped or the non-croppers shown how to crop?

Jeremy

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 01:56:14 pm »

Do we really need that much white?  Sometimes, less is more in my opinion:

Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 02:42:17 pm »

As a certified cropper, I could not resist… I also think that converting to b&w makes more sense of the grain, and square format depicts serenity of the scene the best:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:56:37 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 03:24:18 pm »

Since Sayeed is no novice I have a feeling he saw the picture as a vertical with the horizon in the center and shot it that way. If he'd seen it as a horizontal with most of the foreground gone he'd have shot it that way. If he'd seen it as a B&W with half the sky and foreground chopped out he'd have shot it that way. The crops are all fairly good pictures but they're not Sayeed's picture. I think Sayeed saw it the right way in the first place and shot it the way he saw it, then played with a horizontal crop but rejected the result. The very large blank areas and the mid-frame horizon give the picture a feeling of stability and peace, which I suspect is what Sayeed saw. I once bought a similar painting in Taos. It hung in my living room for many years until I gave it to one of my kids, who had admired it. The horse and the grasses it was grazing were a small splash across the middle of the very large, blank canvas. It was very effective. Sayeed's vertical is very effective. It's still effective cropped, but less so.

What say you, Sayeed?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 04:39:23 pm »

The horse and the grasses it was grazing were a small splash across the middle of the very large, blank canvas. It was very effective. Sayeed's vertical is very effective. It's still effective cropped, but less so.

What say you, Sayeed?
Well, I'm not Sayeed but I agree with you. I liked the original photo with the original (non-)crop; despite being an avid b&w enthusiast, I very much liked the splash of colour - the only colour in the shot - provided by the horses and for me that huge expanse of white with very little detail jsut worked. I didn't like the one with the fence in it for pretty much the same reasons.

Jeremy

Damn - that's the second time recently that I've sided with the non-croppers. Are you sending something infectious through my keyboard, Russ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up