Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what paper to use when making a photo book?  (Read 3046 times)

Aristoc

what paper to use when making a photo book?
« on: December 26, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »

I am interested in making a book of about 120 images. Some are going to be scanned images. After printing on my R2880, about 8 X 10 size, one side only, I want to take the prints to a book binder and create a book from them.  I guess I could just email the images to a photo book making company on line, but perhaps they might come back with bad colours or not as nice as I thought they might. So perhaps it would be best to print them myself and then have a book binder put them into a book.

My question is what type of paper is best to do this with? Glossy?Matte? Will thickness be a factor? I think a thinner paper might be best?

Thanks

Jonathan Ratzlaff

Re: what paper to use when making a photo book?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:40:10 pm »

Try Illford's smooth lustre duo papers. prints both sides, the trick is to lay out the pages to ensure that the print orientation is the same on both sides.  I made and hand bound a book for my parents.  The only thing to watch is that the ink is not quite as durable as that from offset printing

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: what paper to use when making a photo book?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:45:39 pm »

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to start by having a chat with your book binder.

The folks that I've used for the book binding have both a machine which binds the pages by their edges, and a machine which sews groups of pages together in the conventional way.

If you were to go with edge binding, the page numbering is a lot simpler, but the strength of the paper becomes an issue. I don't believe that thicker paper is a handicap with this method. However, the longevity of the binding is considered to be shorter than with conventional binding.

With the conventional method, I think that you are correct in thinking that the thickness of the pages could be an issue, but unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with this kind of binding. I'm not sure of the maximum paper size for the R2880, but I suspect that it prints A3+, which would let you go this route.
Pages: [1]   Go Up