Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: html 5 video  (Read 4350 times)

fredjeang

html 5 video
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:14:46 pm »

Hi,

What do you think will be the standart or default codec for html 5 video?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:09:29 pm by fredjeang »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Re: html 5 video
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »

Of the Big 4 Browsers, only Firefox isn't supporting h.264.  And there are already plugins to solve that.  My crystal ball H.264 will be the format to use for HTML5, patent minefiled notwithstanding.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 06:41:33 pm »

Yeah, that's my bet too.

Thanks Bradley to enabled the keyboard arrow keys in your website. It's a simple stuff I'd like to see more often. Great images.

Interesting link: http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:54:24 pm »

My crystal ball H.264 will be the format to use for HTML5, patent minefiled notwithstanding.
+1

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 03:09:14 pm »

I would love to jump into this and use it here on LL, since it is as simple as possible and well conceived. However, in talking with our programmer, it seems that 'IE and Firefox on windows have some major issues with codec compatibility'

As always IE is the fly in the ointment. IE under Windows represents a huge slice of the browser user base and 'better the devil you know'...

But html5 & VideoJS in particular will be watched closely.

fredjeang

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 03:49:39 pm »

I would love to jump into this and use it here on LL, since it is as simple as possible and well conceived. However, in talking with our programmer, it seems that 'IE and Firefox on windows have some major issues with codec compatibility'

As always IE is the fly in the ointment. IE under Windows represents a huge slice of the browser user base and 'better the devil you know'...

But html5 & VideoJS in particular will be watched closely.

Yes, I.E is the hell of the coders.
The little link I posted in my website works perfectly in I.E too.

The thing is that what they call video for everybody http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody wich in fact uses the same player recommend to have different version of the same movie.

I would have normaly use a quicktime embeding because it's a mov but the html5 player just handles it even if it's not mpeg4.

I must say that this particular player is one of the 2 among the all proposals that works on every platform.
If it detects that a browser can not read html5 it switches to flash.  

What you can do Chris is:
- copy paste my html source code in an html editor. (you need to download the player package from the link I put in my post above)
- make sure the route of the css and javascript between Head and Head is correct
- then replace the first "1.mov" by one of your movs
- the mov has in this case to be on the same root
Then upload your html

et voilĂ ...

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 03:53:51 pm by fredjeang »

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 08:55:29 pm »

Okay, more info.

I've been surfing and did more testings.

As Chris pointed, there is a certain gap between a personal website implementation and a website like Lu-La. It's more complicated than it looks and programers will have hard times
in backstage if you are using a control panel with all the php and co that is a serious task for your gurus.
I'm using a mixed cms with database in my (empty) website and html whatever I want so I can implement that without limitation manualy but if you want to integrate that completly and just
you upload the video from the control panel, well here we are in heavy programland.

In fact, it seems that the real issue is with really high volume (you tube etc...). But with the volume of video you are using here it should work brillantly.

I did crossed convertions between the .mov file to .ogv and the new .webm and from those, back to whatever .mov or avi.
Everything works straightforward, no troubles, no issues. Nada.
Keep in mind that the .webm works with audio vorbis codec so you have to download from the site to get sound.

In terms of workflow it is not an issue. The fastest I found is really not changing the old habits.
Generate a .mov ready for the web and then encode this .mov in ogv (ogg) and .webm (even without its audio codec it would work once online)
takes very few so for a pro website it just bloody works fine.
But you are not obliged, just the .mov would work perfectly. Actually if generated from FC or QT pro with the fake streaming you can't get wrong.

Even if someone has disabled java and the flash player it would work with that player.

I like when things are like that.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:57:11 pm by fredjeang »

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Gerald J Skrocki

fredjeang

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 12:07:33 pm »

http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2010/10/adobe-announces-the-html5-video-player-widget.html

Do you think Adobe will take HTML5 implementation seriously? I mean, it's a good news but Flash is their baby since Macromedia.
I guess they do not have the choice.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 12:54:13 am »

Adobe is taking html 5 seriously, with implementation in both Dreamweaver and Illustrator CS5. The video module I linked is Adobe's implementation of the either/or browser dependent model. It can be used with Dreamweaver or independently.
Gerald J Skrocki

davidmoris

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 02:59:55 pm »

HTML5 video element is introduced into the HTML5 specification for playing videos or films, replace part of the object element. HTML5 video is intended by its creators to become the new standard way of showing video online, but have been hampered by a lack of consensus on the video formats should be supported in the video tag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up