Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another problem with DNG Converter  (Read 4240 times)

misco

Another problem with DNG Converter
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:20:30 pm »

I am a Mac user running 10.6.5 and have installed Photoshop CS5. My downloaded ACR6.3 image files with DNG6.3 are showing, on enlargement, a nasty kind of mosaic pattern, similar to the reticulation effect with old B&W film. (JPEGs downloaded at the same time are OK). Both Ricoh GX200 & Lumix LX5 cameras show this effect.

Example shows an area of a 100% zoom of image:    www.flickr.com/photos/rawmike/5282871896/

Has anyone got an explanation?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Another problem with DNG Converter
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:26:01 pm »

Over-sharpening and not enough noise reduction...

misco

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:20:45 am »

Thanks for reply. I don't quite see how my RAW images can have had any over sharpening on them, apart from some minor pp carried out in order to highlight the mosaic.

I used to get superb results with my GX200 using CS4 with its version of DNG and only purchased CS5 to enable use of the LX5.

I have just tested downloading Nikon D90 files into DNG and get the same mosaic texture!

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:08:38 am »

What's your settings for sharpening and noise reduction? Once we know them we can make some suggestions for change to see if it helps.

CS4 used process 2003 while your current set-up uses process 2010. The new Adobe raw conversion process is known to need less sharpening and different noise reduction settings for a better result, so your comparison to the past makes sense from that perspective and supports Jeff's advice.

Other question, what happens if you import the raws "straight", i.e. without converting to dng?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:11:36 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

misco

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:02:36 pm »

CS4 used process 2003 while your current set-up uses process 2010. The new Adobe raw conversion process is known to need less sharpening and different noise reduction settings for a better result, so your comparison to the past makes sense from that perspective and supports Jeff's advice.
[/quote]

Thanks Pegelli, you've cracked it for me!

I had zero NR but lowering my own default sharpen settings in ACR 6.3 CS5 makes all the difference compared with CS4. And that's why my D90 files were playing up whether as straight imports or DNG.

Thanks once again to yourself and Jeff for solving this puzzle.

misco

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:20:40 am »

The problem is explained in my original post and has been resolved as detailed in my last post of 23 December.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:09:58 pm »

I'm curious as to what were your settings for capture sharpening in ACR 6.3 before and after you solved the problem?
This is the first time I've heard that ACR v2010 needed less capture sharpening.
Bill Koenig,

misco

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 05:21:51 pm »

I've found it a dramatic change. Previously I had a presetting of 120 on the amount with Detail 50. Now I leave settings at the ACR6.3 default, which has the Amount set at 25, Radius 1.0 and Detail 25.

I now only add final sharpening in Photoshop with USM for most of my work but for critical work with large prints I have PK Sharpener.
Pages: [1]   Go Up