Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing reflections from polished chrome surface. Suggestions please.  (Read 1107 times)

Dinarius

I have photographed a polished chrome surface - basically a mirror surface.

In 95% of the shot, the chrome surface reflects the (almost textureless) white wall that surrounded it.

In the remaining 5% there is a hint of black area - mostly my tripod and camera. The black area is totally abstracted. There is no way of telling what is being reflected.

However, I would still like to try and make that bit of the image look the same as the rest.

Any suggestions as to what I might do in CS5? The area in question is a long, very narrow strip.

Thanks.

D.

sniper

Re: Removing reflections from polished chrome surface. Suggestions please.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:20:16 am »

Can you clone it out or content aware fill?

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:59:03 am »

I've tried using the Spot Healing Brush with Content Aware ticked. The problem is that the problem area is very narrow and it the tool selects from surrounding areas and it doesn't look right.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to isolate the problem are and then select a sample of texture/colour and make it fill in the problem area with that colour/texture.

Any ideas?

How does the Content Aware feature work using the Edit menu? Can it be made more selective?

Thanks.

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:55:35 pm »

Grab a brush and enter quick mask mode, paint a selection around the edges of the area you want to work on, softness of your brush will depend on the edges in the image, extend the painting beyond where you will be wanting to clone into, but stick to edges within the image. Once you are happy with the area defined, exit quick mask, create a new blank layer and with the selection active nit the "Mask" icon which will put your defined area onto a mask for that layer. Now you can clone away happily without running past the edges you have defined.

Another similar method would be to create a rough selection of a good area with the white wall texture you mention, CMND+J will cut this selection from your background layer onto a new layer, now move this over the area to be replaced and use the mask mentioned above for the layer. Unclick the little chain link icon between the layer and its mask, and you can move your new texture around within the masked area to suit.

If you are after a quick and rough job, use content aware.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:23:07 am »

Use the pach tool, draw the selection and drag it to sample the clear area of the object.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up