Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which DSLR's have mirror lock-up?  (Read 12749 times)

Pelao

Re: Which DSLR's have mirror lock-up?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 07:55:30 am »

I wonder how many users of DSLRs use MLU? I wonder too how many have actually heard of it?

It seems to be that a lot of sales in recent years have been made to those who want better image quality, and want this applied to their family and holiday photos. If this is the case, why would they need MLU? Further, any books about 'Digital Photography'  they are likely to buy may not mention it. I suspect a lot of people just want better images but don't expand their photographic depth.  This is not a criticism, it's just an observation with a lot of assumptions.

From this angle, adding easily accessible MLU may seem a waste of time.  Ironically, LIve View may be providing it in any case...

The business mind in me gets the manufacturer position. The photographer side is irked, because it would be great if manufacturers provided such things, and manuals that described the opportunities provided by cameras.  Instead, manuals simply list instructions for how to do things which are obscure, and to which no photographic advantage is attached.  If manuals encouraged use, the manufacturers might sell more supporting gear such as lenses, flash etc. Oh well.

Anyway, it still irks me that my 5D, often mentioned as a good landscape camera, does not have a dedicated MLU button.

eriktorpolsen

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 09:32:04 am »

You're right. Reviewers often get hung up in things like the menus could be more logical and the like.
Who cares? Not me anyways. My primary concern is getting images that are sharp. Period.
They simply don't make cameras for photographers anymore, and when they do it's a Leica costing
more than a new car. I've got nothing against digital, but DSLRs at affordable prices has taken a wrong turn,
which is why I bought a film-scanner and analog medium format gear. Ever heard of mirror slap or shutter
vibration in a Rolleiflex?   ;)
Still it would be nice to have a decent DSLR with good old MLU.

ronkruger

• Outdoor writer/photographer for over 30 years.
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 01:53:41 pm »

Most DSLR cameras today are designed for people with a P&S approach, with pretty sophisticated and accurate auto features. (That's why there is so much attention to high ISO, too.) The majority want cameras that do magical things for them without them knowing much about the photographic process. (The majority, by the way, don't come to sites like this. They just go out and shoot in full auto, leaving all that technical stuff and discussions to others.)
The advantages of MLU is something they neither know anything about nor would mess with in their shooting process, because they are hand-held snap shooters. Most of the vibrations from mirror slap are absorbed by hands and SR or IS functions. It is only when the camera is on a tripod that MLU becomes very important.
In the end, the only things that matter are the people we help and the people we hurt. Google Ron Kruger and click on any link to Photoshelter

nma

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 03:21:00 pm »

Actually, Live View for MLU on recent canon cameras is actually better than standard mirror lockup.  The reason is the 1st curtain in Canons is now electronic, not physical.  So if you engage Live view, then take an image, their is no physical curtain moving as  the sensor is already uncovered ready to begin capturing. This means there is absolutely nothing in the camera moving at all ... technically even better than a leaf shutter in the lens.

+1 I completely agree with Wayne. I don't understand the carping about MLU, as it applies to 5Dii and 7D. Can has listened to teh requests for MLU and responded with something even better than simple analog MLU. In addition to Wayne's points, I note that absolute focus and depth of field can now be checked and adjusted at nearly any point or points in the live view image and all this at 5x or 10x zoom. Furthermore, these cameras provide exposure simulation with real time RGB histogram, meaning you can check exposure before shooting. Most reviewers have given live view short shrift, not appreciating that it is a game-changer for landscape shooters.

stever

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 04:14:36 pm »

although slow, the contrast detection autofocus in Canon liveview is probably more accurate with zoom lenses as it's using the lens image at the focal length selected - too bad it doesn't work with depth of field preview to eliminate focus shift as well

it also works with extenders which result in apertures too small for the Canon phase detection autofocus to work

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 06:32:59 pm »

I have a Nikon - yes it has mirror lock up-
but i would also like it to have permanent mirror lock up to prevent the heavy noise of the mirror while shooting.
I could have used that in certain occasions like violin concerts..
yes it would cost me the battery but that is OK with me.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

nma

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 07:42:13 pm »

although slow, the contrast detection autofocus in Canon liveview is probably more accurate with zoom lenses as it's using the lens image at the focal length selected - too bad it doesn't work with depth of field preview to eliminate focus shift as well

it also works with extenders which result in apertures too small for the Canon phase detection autofocus to work

Autofocus and live view do not go together for shooting landscape. It is far  better to use manual focus with the live view zoom set to 5x or, better still, 10x. Using this procedure, you are looking at focus on the sensor without relying on any algorithm to determine focus of the lens.This is the modern equivalent of the focusing cloth and ground glass of the view camera, except the image iright side up  :).  And using the DOF preview with exposure simulation allows you to check focus with the lens stopped down, so any focus shift can be adjusted, too. 

stever

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 10:52:48 pm »

the sensitivity of manual focus with many autofocus lenses may make liveview autofocus a better option.  the best option for landscapes (or static macro subjects) is a Canon TS, macro (manual focus for macro subjects is great, less good at distance) or Zeiss lens that can be precisely focused manually with liveview and magnification - with stop-down for dof check.  i'd rather have the stop-down function be progamable to a more convenient button than mlu

nma

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 08:44:22 am »

the sensitivity of manual focus with many autofocus lenses may make liveview autofocus a better option.  the best option for landscapes (or static macro subjects) is a Canon TS, macro (manual focus for macro subjects is great, less good at distance) or Zeiss lens that can be precisely focused manually with liveview and magnification - with stop-down for dof check.  i'd rather have the stop-down function be progamable to a more convenient button than mlu

Huh? Try the DOF preview button, a separate button on the body, near the lens mount, completely independent of live view.

stever

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 11:05:22 am »

liveview does not work with the preview button depressed - you are only allowed to autofocus with the lens wide open in liveview.  it would be nice to autofocus at shooting aperture for lenses with noticeable focus shift.

it would also be nice if the preview button had a more convenient location

nma

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

liveview does not work with the preview button depressed - you are only allowed to autofocus with the lens wide open in liveview.  it would be nice to autofocus at shooting aperture for lenses with noticeable focus shift.

it would also be nice if the preview button had a more convenient location

Liveview works on my 5dii with the DOF preview button depressed. Furthermore, it is much more useful than when I relied on the viewfinder. In liveview with DOF preview on, the screens dims briefly than the illumination increases automatically, so you can check focus with the lens stopped down.

I agree that the DOF button is not well placed, but it is a minor point.

stever

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »

yes, liveview works with dof preview and is a powerful composing tool. 

my point is that you cannot use the liveview contrast detection autofocus with the preview button depressed
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up