Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 64bit problems with iPF5100  (Read 1881 times)

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
64bit problems with iPF5100
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:36:38 pm »

My problem with Lightroom(64bit) crashing whenever I tried to print to my Canon iPF5100 still exists. Up 'til now I have worked around it by switching LR to 32bit whenever I need to use the 5100.

What is pushing me to the edge now though is that the just released 5100 64bit print plugin for PS CS5 is causing PS to crash!

I assume the same cause (whatever it is) lies at the bottom of it all.

On 10.6.5 / LR 3.3 / PS 12.0.2

The printer firmware and driver and print plugin are all the latest versions (just downloaded & installed – again – to make sure).

Canon support (not yet contacted with the PS problem) had me do the following 11 months ago to try to fix the LR crashing, with no result. I've just gone through it again, plus using Spotlight to track down & trash any hint of old 32bit 5100 driver remnants, pref files etc, before installing the 64bit driver.

"1.   Remove Printer Queue
2.   Run Reset Printing System (right click on printer list and reset)
3.   Run Repair Disk Permissions (Utilities folder>Disk Utility)
4.   Trash Library>Printers>Canon folder if possible if no other Canon printers are installed. (make sure of this location, NOT users folder>library>printers)
5.   Otherwise, Trash Library>Printers>Canon>GARO
6.   If not all files are removed and state in use, then kill process using Activity Monitor, then Trash (Utilities folder>Activity Monitor)
7.   Empty Trash
8.   Run Repair Disk Permissions again
9.   Restart
10.   Re-install (via a static IP Address, not Bonjour)"

When troubleshooting this earlier I even reinstalled the OS before retrying everything, to no avail.

If anyone can offer a suggestion or make sense the crash logs I'd be MOST grateful.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: 64bit problems with iPF5100
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:52:59 am »

And if you connect via USB it's flawless right?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 06:16:57 am »

No it has the same problem. Canon had me try that back when we first tried to sort the LR crashing.

hsmeets

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 07:18:33 am »

and if you print through other programs? like printing a webpage from safari (running in 64b mode)? Does i crash too?

Hard time to belief this is a software issue in the sense of a programming error/bug by Adobe or Canon, I've running, PS CS5 with the .2 patch, latest OSX, latest 5100 driver and 64b plugin, printer networked, never ever crashed. Mac hardware is first gen 27" imac.

Very very reluctantly: maybe a total clean install of all after reformatting the disk? I know it did not work before. But now install only the bare minimal set of software: OSX, LR and the canon software. And furthermore nothing else at all. Just to rule out nothing else is causing troubles.

Cheers,

Huib

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 03:24:15 pm »

Good suggestion re trying to print from Safari (64bit).

It crashed.

So certainly not an Adobe problem.

I'll see what Canon has to say today but if required I guess a full reinstall (shudder) can be done.

hsmeets

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:32:38 pm »

If it also crashes when printing from Safari then it can be also an issue with OSX. Removing the driver and reinstalling might not prove to be the solution. It could well be that somewhere sometime a file belonging to the OSX print system went MIA.
Cheers,

Huib

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 03:41:41 am »

The Canon printer guy I have been dealing with has very kindly offered to come out and go through things before the big step of a full Install is taken. I will report back...

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:56:33 am »

Well I ended up having to do a new Install.  :'(

The Tech Rep from Canon called in this morning and basically went through all I had done (with a few small modifications) but to no avail.

Happily however I can report that I can now print in 64bit from all my various applications.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up