Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which media settings for Ilford GFS on Canon 8300?  (Read 1776 times)

dalex

Which media settings for Ilford GFS on Canon 8300?
« on: December 17, 2010, 12:51:18 pm »

Does anyone have suggestions for the best media settings for Ilford Gold Fibre Silk on the Canon 8300?

I used Premium Semi-Gloss 280 as recommended by Ilford, but there is an obvious "graininess" to smooth tonal areas (easily observable with the naked eye) that I do not see on other photo papers with the same images. This might be some kind of micro-pooling, though I have never seen examples of micro-pooling so I'm not 100% sure. I'm printing via the PS plugin with 600ppi/16-bit input settings, and Highest selected as the output quality, so I'm assuming it must be the media settings. Or maybe GFS doesn't work well with the 8300? That would be sad.

Thanks!

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
Re: Which media settings for Ilford GFS on Canon 8300?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:40:42 am »

I've had a 44" roll of this sitting round for ages, with no printer for it, so was looking forward to trying it in the 8300...

I made a custom media setting for it based on PSG280, after running the media adjustment. No problems with the inking whatsoever (canon standard paper inking worked just fine)

Did you make a custom media setting? - the media adjustment stage can make a considerable difference

After creating the media setting, I printed out a ~3k patch target (for an iSis XL) and created a profile that gives very good results.

Good enough results that I've just been very happy to use this paper to print an order for some local photos for a company at 23"x35" and 35"x53" - There are both B/W shots and some very intense colours in some of the images (night time lighting) ...the results are impressive.

bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

dalex

Re: Which media settings for Ilford GFS on Canon 8300?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:31:56 pm »

Thanks, Keith. Good to hear you're getting nice results with GFS on the 8300, so I know it's possible.

I did make a custom media setting, and have been using that. I note that in addition to PSG280 as the media type, I have Head Height set to "Low" and Maximum Ink Usage set to "Medium High".

I've scanned in a close-up of the background of a photo printed on Ilford GFS and also on some HP Photo Paper I had left over from my old HP Z3100. Neither of these papers have any stippling, so the difference you see is not due to paper texture. This is quite easily noticeable on the print without magnification.

I see that Canon released a new Media Information file earlier this month, so I'll download that and try to set up the custom media setting again. I'll also play around with other settings to see if I can get some improvement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up