Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: switch off or leave on?  (Read 8021 times)

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Re: switch off or leave on?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 07:04:49 pm »

In my case that works out to (12*€65)/(12*130ml)=0,50 euro a day.

Agreed that it's cheap, but how much does it cost when you turn it off after each print session?
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

John Hollenberg

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 07:26:26 pm »

Agreed that it's cheap, but how much does it cost when you turn it off after each print session?

For the older Canon generation (iPF5000, not sure about newer generations), turning the printer off for 2 weeks could result in a 30 ml cleaning when the printer was turned back on.  At least, that was my experience.  That means 2 ml a day.  Likley cheaper to leave it on.

hsmeets

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 02:53:34 am »

The question is not so much the cost of ink usage but what is better for the printhead (added: in case of canon ipf range).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:19:35 am by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 03:48:20 am »

I have always turned off my Epson printers. I bought a 3800 when they came out. I've never had a clog. I once went a month without using the printer even though I've been told it needed to be used at least once a week - when I finally needed to make a print it was perfect.
+1. The only clog I've had was after a head strike (I forgot to open the output door - the poxy little A4 HP I had before would protect me against such carelessness, but the 3800 obviously assumes its owner to have more sense despite evidence to the contrary!).

And I've had it turned off for much longer than a month at times.

Jeremy

rodsncones

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 07:06:58 am »

I wanted to follow up with the auto turn off feature on my new Epson 4900.

My Epson 4900 auto powers off from the standby mode sometime between 3 hours and 10, presumeably due to inactivity.  I kept checking last night and it stayed on, undisturbed in standby mode, for 3 hours before I went to sleep.  This morning I checked it and it was powered off. The computer it is attached to is a Windows Seven system with Photoshop CS4 on and running. Dunno if that matters to anyone.

Ghost in the Machine?

On the plus side, powering it back up only takes about one minute, during which time it does a nozzle check.  No head cleaning at this point.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up