Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone replaced the noisy z3100/z3200 stock PSU/PCA fan with a silent one ?  (Read 11070 times)

SergeyT

I'm about to disassemble my z to replace the noisy fan with something silent. But would prefer to order a compatible replacement before shutting down the printer, to minimize the down time.

Wondering if anyone have done something like that or knows\has info on :
* Characteristics of the stock fan, such as diameter, voltage, connector type;
* Or the silent fan model number which can work as replacement for the stock one?

Thank you,
SergeyT.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography

Excellent Question.  I have had a Z3100 24" for over 3 years and the fan noise was ever present but not overly so.  I got a Z3200 44" a couple months ago and the fan noise is unbearable.  So much so I thought is was defective and requested a service call.  HP was very prompt and capable in replacing the unit that included the fan (on the left side of the printer) and the fan noise seems a bit less but still at least twice what I remember with the Z3100.  Also the fan speed is constant no change when going to sleep mode.  So, sorry after this rant not to provide any helpful info but I will closely follow those who do so I can perform the same operation.

hsmeets

When the printer is off, the fan is not running, when in standby/sleep it runs. Question: is there a reason for that?

If not: you might just cut the power wire of the fan and install a switch in it. Not very elegant but maybe less invasive then installing a new fan.

If the fan has three wires that may not work: the firmware, even in standby might detect the vent not running (via the 3rd sensing wire)and starts to throw errors at you.

I suspect that HP just uses a standard fan and nothing special or purpose build. You might find silent fans in all size and shapes with companies like Pabst.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:25:10 am by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Ernst Dinkla

When the printer is off, the fan is not running, when in standby/sleep it runs. Question: is there a reason for that?

If not: you might just cut the power wire of the fan and install a switch in it. Not very elegant but maybe less invasive then installing a new fan.

That formatter it is integrated with is a $1400 part, harddisc etc. I rather keep it cooled for no reason than take the risk.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +180 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

SergeyT

Well, I'm sure it is one of the standard size fans. And I'm sure once I disassemble the unit I should be able to measure it and order the right one, let say from xxxegg. But it would mean I will have to either do the disassembling twice or have the printer in non-operable state for some time(until the new fan arrives)...

No, I do not want to have the fan switched off using an external switch (that would be to easy and I would not even ask for help here  ;) )
And also if I remember correctly according to the maintenance document there are some error codes associated with the non-working fan, so it should be a 3-wire model...

I'll wait for a few more days to see if anyone has some knowledge on the type of fan I (we  ;D) need...

Some additional thoughts...
When the printer is plugged in but not booted the fan runs at a low speed (and with tolerable noise level).
Once the printer starts booting and until it shuts down the fan runs at a much higher speed (and makes much more noise).
I do believe it makes perfect sense to reduce the fan speed down to the lowest once the printer enters the sleep mode and increase it back to normal (required) once it wakes up for maintenance or for printing. It should be a matter of firmware upgrade and it should be a very easy one(two extra lines of code - one in "sleep enter"; one in "sleep resume"). Does anyone have any means to push HP for a firmware release where this logic is implemented?

BobShram

The symtoms are of the cheaper bush type fan units, it sounds like a 3 wire or even a 4 wire set up. You should be looking for a good Bush or better still a ball bearing unit. Sorry I don't have any information on your setup.

If this noise has only just started or was not there when you first used the printer you may find that you have dust in or around the bushing/s causeing the noise, if the noise was there from the start, you need a new fan and you are right on with your thought process, sorry I don't have any information for you.

GoldHorde

My Z3200 just started making o very loud fan noise from the left side of the printer where the ethernet connection is. From reading posts in this thread - the fan is the culprit (as I suspected). I want to replace it but I was told to replace the $2.30 part is not possible because it is part of a whole "Electronics Module" which is hardwired with the power source, PS fan and and circuit board. I think this is pre-planned insanity. All I can find for a service manual is an "End Of Service Product Dismantling Manual" (environmental waste).

1. Does anyone have the Z3200 service manual or the portion for dismantling the printer to get to the Electronics Module? I'd need to take a look at it myself to see if I can replace just the fan. I've seen concerns posted here that the fan:

a. would need to be the same power specifications (obviously)
b. wired for error codes (need to be a 3-wire fan to link with an existing on-board sensor?)

Has anyone started or completed the task?

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/

I have the z3200 and the fan is really too loud for a home office. The fan never seems to power down even when the printer is asleep. To deal with this I just shut the printer off when I'm not using it (I print maybe weekly).

GoldHorde

The fan has been SILENT for the year I have used it - it only started making the loud buzzing recently. Unless of course the answer here is that it HASN'T been working for a year and only just started working...

I can't imagine that fan noise would be acceptable - if you see a new one in operation you do not hear what I am hearing...

artobest

My fan starting making a loud rattling noise after a power cut (despite surge protector). The techie replaced the entire electronics module for the sake of that one fan ...

Madness.

GoldHorde

Yes - PLANNED madness at customer expense. Ethical engineering requires that the most expendable and shortlived parts be modular. Losing one cheap fan at the expense and rest of the mainboard electronics is unethical. I was SHOCKED to hear that the power supply was not modular - as it has been on every low-end computer for years.

Does anyone know how to take the HPZ3200 apart to get to that assembly?

All I have is this EndOfLifeDissassembly.PDF (attached)

Ernst Dinkla

There is a service manual at the Z3100 Wiki pages. The formatter unit is quite easy to remove, I had them out on both teh Z3100 and the Z3200 to check what harddisc models where in. I wonder whether some cleaning of the ventilator blades and filter + some oil is not enough, I recall similar issues with a computer vent that was solved that way.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

jasdown

My workaround from having just incurred the Z3200 "grinding fan syndrome" about 2 weeks ago:

When I power off for a few days (with AC cord and ethernet cable unplugged), the printer starts back up with the fan making a horrible racket, but it smooths out to a  normal "whrrrr" after a few minutes.  I can then enjoy about a 24 hour period of printing before the fan acts up again, at which point I turn it off and wait for another day or so.

Far from an ideal solution, but I really can't afford the $900 Power Supply Unit (a sealed unit that houses the offending fan) right now.

BTW, cleaning the fan vents with compressed air didn't seem to help in my case.

GoldHorde

JASDOWN: In my case - the fan is continously making the grinding noise now -  we have to plug-in, boot up, print, shut down and then completely unplug (at the surge protector).

ERNST: Could not find a working document at "wiki pages" for getting at the electronics module. A downloaded .RAR document errored in opening as a broken PDF. My obvious concerns in following the rough concepts found in the "End Of Life Disassembly" PDF (attached to previous post) is, of course, that the disassembly is destructive.

GoldHorde

Re: Successful intervention on the fan
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 04:23:46 pm »

UPDATE: NOISY FAN FIXED - and you'll be angry when you find out WHY! Finally found a working file of the service manual at wiki pages. The Z3200 has some significant difference in the plastic - but the screws are essentially in the same locations. Quite a bit has to be taken apart - I strongly suggest taking phone camera shots of your progress so you can reference them in reverse! The CULORIT is a bad screw - the LEFT BOTTOM SCREW of the POWER SUPPLY (when facing the front of the machine). 2 PICS attached of the final takedown process to get to the offending issue. TO FIX: We shimmied a thin piece of plastic into the edge of the screw to stop its amazing LOUD vibration. It is a TWO MAN job to take apart and put together - THREE if you have someone take PHONE CAMERA shots of the process.

GoldHorde

PIC 2

ShaunMerrigan

Older topic, but still relevant. 

I just finished replacing the Scan Axis drive belt in my Z3200 and I also took the opportunity to replace the noisy (howling at the last) power supply fan.  Points to consider:

The stock fan is two wire, so if you choose a new three wire fan, keep the old connector so you can splice in the red and black wires from the new fan.  By splice I mean strip, wrap, solder, and shrink tube.

The old fan moves a lot of air; it has to in order to maintain airflow through the very constricted power supply and hard drive assembly.  So I choose an 80mm, 2800 rpm replacement that uses silicone mounting "pins" to dampen vibrations.  A 1600 rpm "silent" fan would not be a good choice as it won't move enough air.

Have a container of canned air on hand so you can blow out the power supply enclosure and board. 

As a previous poster mentioned, the Z3100 manual can be used as a reference, and taking pictures helps.

My Z3200 is running very quietly now.

-materialsguy

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Successful intervention on the fan
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 09:08:14 am »

UPDATE: NOISY FAN FIXED - and you'll be angry when you find out WHY! Finally found a working file of the service manual at wiki pages. The Z3200 has some significant difference in the plastic - but the screws are essentially in the same locations. Quite a bit has to be taken apart - I strongly suggest taking phone camera shots of your progress so you can reference them in reverse! The CULORIT is a bad screw - the LEFT BOTTOM SCREW of the POWER SUPPLY (when facing the front of the machine). 2 PICS attached of the final takedown process to get to the offending issue. TO FIX: We shimmied a thin piece of plastic into the edge of the screw to stop its amazing LOUD vibration. It is a TWO MAN job to take apart and put together - THREE if you have someone take PHONE CAMERA shots of the process.

Great job of doing an analysis and finding the proverbial noisy needle in the haystack.

If i understand the nature of the failure, applying a drop of Loctite to the threads will stop that problem from recurring.

Unfortunately this is another glaring example of HP putting value engineering (read that cost cutting) ahead of quality control. Sadly this seems to be the trend with HP in recent years and HP is victimizing their product lines, and helping to toss good customers into their trash bin as a result. Or is it the other way around?  ::) Anywho, Thanks for posting this!
Pages: [1]   Go Up