Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to turn a traditional Rolleiflex into a digital camera?  (Read 19329 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Re: Is it possible to turn a traditional Rolleiflex into a digital camera?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 07:55:21 am »

I have wondered this myself, I decided that if I did really fancy a classic camera plus digital back, Hasselblad already make one. A secondhand 500cm plus CFV back would be easier, cheaper, more versatile and actually useful.  As much as I like the TLR (the first place I worked only used them, we did marine, PR, aerials, studio portraits, weddings etc), the pain of getting it to work with digital would not justify it. Then again I have no desire to climb Mount Everest either.

Kevin.
Kevin.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 02:29:26 am »

Every once in a while I find myself using ebay searches as a camera museum tour in appreciation of the numerous cameras that have been designed in ages past. I have a great appreciation for the traditional Rolleiflex design, and am wondering how possible it would be to retro fit one with digital parts from semi recent digital cameras like the canon 20D. It seems like there would be enough room inside to accomplish this. I also know I am not the only camera nut in these forums that has contemplated such! Have any of you tried to retro fit a film cam with a digital sensor, processor, battery, card slot etc? Please share your experiences. At the very least this is a fun topic for us.

Rick  

Ikelite makes boxes into which you can stuff some cameras. And apparently, they are waterproof.
The box for a Canon DSLR would be about the size of Rollei, but I think, it works only with Canon 40D and newer models.
You could put a black gaffe tape around the box, and relatively easily achieve that sought after MF look.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 05:27:32 am by LesPalenik »

douglasf13

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 07:54:15 pm »

Oddly enough, I've been considering the same thing with a cheap rangefinder body. I could rip all of the guts out of my Olympus SP2, open up a tiny camera like the NEX-5, and, voila, a classic camera with modern guts. I wonder how difficult such a thing would be?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up