Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase 65+ back or Leaf Aptus II-12 back and lenses  (Read 1504 times)

cbserota

Phase 65+ back or Leaf Aptus II-12 back and lenses
« on: December 16, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »

I am planning on selling a Canon 1 DS III system to buy a Phase  DF body and either a Phase P65+ back or the new Leaf Aptus II-12 back with 80 megapixels.  The Leaf back is $1300 more for an extra 20 mg.  Any suggestions?  (My wife is definitely going to kill me! ) Any recommendations for lenses  ?-Thanks---Charley

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Phase 65+ back or Leaf Aptus II-12 back and lenses
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:36:00 pm »

I am planning on selling a Canon 1 DS III system to buy a Phase  DF body and either a Phase P65+ back or the new Leaf Aptus II-12 back with 80 megapixels.  The Leaf back is $1300 more for an extra 20 mg.  Any suggestions?  (My wife is definitely going to kill me! ) Any recommendations for lenses  ?-Thanks---Charley

It's not $1300 for an extra 20mp. It's $1300 for a different system which happens to have, among other advantages/disadvantages 20 more megapixels.

The question is more so if you prefer Leaf of Phase. I'm swamped today, but I'm sure others will lay out the positives and negatives of each system.

My gut feeling is that you should go with the Leaf Aptus II 12 today over a P65+.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

cbserota

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »

Doug--when you have the time--I'd appreciate your expertise on the positives and negatives of each system--Thanks---Charley   

gazwas

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:12:37 am »

Between those two backs and you needed it now I would 95% go with the Leaf.

Not because I need 80MP,as 60MP is too much but I refuse to pay the asking price of the P65+ when it is still using the same chassis, back software/ergonomics and terrible screen (although I believe this it's now a newer version but still rubbish) as when the original P backs were released in 2004!  :-[

I was about to pull the trigger on a new Phase back but was left very underwhelmed with the whole package in its present form as I saw no improvement, other than MP over the P30 I used.

I'm now waiting until the spring to see if Phase can finally produce an worthy upgrade on the original P/P+ backs apart from more unnecessary MP's. An amalgamation of Leaf and Phase technologies would be a dream back IMO.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?
Pages: [1]   Go Up