Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early Morning Fog  (Read 2277 times)

DickKirkley

Early Morning Fog
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:33:05 pm »

Hi All : This is my first post to this forum, although I have lurked often and have always admired the frank critiques offered. I took this series of early morning fog  images shortly after buying my first DSLR several years ago. They have languished in my "shoebox" far too long. So a few days ago I imported them into LR3.3, did a bit of PP and exported them to my Zenfolio site. In the past 24hours they have attracted over 260 views and several favourable comments. 260 may not be many for some but for me it is a record. My total unique visits for the whole site was until now only 71 for all my galleries. Marketing is obviously not my strongest skill but with  zillions of images in cyber space it is obviously difficult to get noticed.
Anyhow here they are all 17 images, and the link is below;

http://RKirkley.zenfolio.com/p832739360

Regards
Dick K.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Early Morning Fog
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:35:27 am »

Hi Dick,

I have only posted here a couple of times myself, so as one newby to another, I really like foggy/misty pictures, but for me they are a little bit too much "on fire" if you know what I mean. I would be tempted to take the temerature down a bit to see what they look like. Try setting the W/B temperature a thousand degrees or so lower and see what you get.

all the best  :)

Photobloke

shutterpup

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:44:03 am »

#10 and 14 are perfectly my cup of tea. The others do seem on fire as Photobloke says but then, have you seen some of the footage from "Sunrise Earth" on HD?

DickKirkley

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:16:29 pm »

"I have only posted here a couple of times myself, so as one newbie to another, I really like foggy/misty pictures, but for me they are a little bit too much "on fire" if you know what I mean. I would be tempted to take the temperature down a bit to see what they look like. Try setting the W/B temperature a thousand degrees or so lower and see what you get."
Photobloke

Thanks for your comment and suggestion. I tend to agree some of these images are a little hard on the eyes. However most of them were shot straight into the rising sun and I assume the fog not only diffused and spread the light it also may have magnified the effect. The camera was almost straight out of the box and I was still shooting jpeg's  probably using the default settings.

I did try adjusting the WB in both direction but still preferred the "as shot" result. I also tried adjusting the tone curve and reducing brightness but again found the posted version better. As jpegs and a relatively low resolution image (6mb) I don't have lot of pixels to work with, especially after cropping down to a pano format.

The next time similar conditions occur, the pond is virtually in my backyard, I will shot in RAW using my K20D with 14mb.

Regards
Dick K.

DickKirkley

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:28:26 pm »

#10 and 14 are perfectly my cup of tea. The others do seem on fire as Photobloke says but then, have you seen some of the footage from "Sunrise Earth" on HD?

Thanks for your input. I sorta like #10 and #14 myself, they are much more subtle and pastel-like than some of the others. But other viewers seem to prefer #1 and even #17. So I guess it is different strokes for different folks, as the man said.

Regards
Dick K.

tokengirl

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19:48 am »

My suggestion would be to edit this series.  You have several photographs that are repetitive, and 17 of anything is a lot.  Pick the 4 or 5 best ones that are different from each other and run with that.

DickKirkley

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:58:39 am »

My suggestion would be to edit this series.  You have several photographs that are repetitive, and 17 of anything is a lot.  Pick the 4 or 5 best ones that are different from each other and run with that.

Thanks for that sound suggestion. When I posted this I was a bit hasty, to say the least, and had not really considered that several images were indeed just slight edits of another one right beside it. But after getting 332 hits on this gallery in Zenfolio I was reluctant to change what appeared to be a good think. On closer examination I noticed that only half of those visitors were actually opening the individual images and that as they progressed thru the gallery their numbers decreased fairly significantly.

I have followed your advice and both removed the duplicates and total  images to 7 from 17.

The link in the original post still works but takes you to the revised version. However for convenience here is the link again;

Regards
Dick K.

shutterpup

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 12:13:20 pm »

Good job! Really showcases the individual shots without bogging down the viewer. I was happy to see you retained my favorites ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up