Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 64-bit Plugin for Canon iPFx100 printers and CS5 on OSX released.  (Read 6092 times)

John Hollenberg

Re: 64-bit Plugin for Canon iPFx100 printers and CS5 on OSX released.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 02:24:06 pm »

The 64 bit plugin is also available for Win X64 platforms for the X100 printers.  Excellent news!

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 07:49:30 pm »

I installed the new CS5 Print Plug-In for Photoshop CS5 (Mac). Upon starting Photoshop I was presented with an informational screen (below) that instructed me to download and install Adobe CMM. The latest version I could find was 1.1 from 2007. I installed Adobe CMM but now I'm not sure if I am supposed to switch Photoshop CS5 from Adobe (ACE) to Adobe CMM or if the external print plug in uses Adobe CMM separate and apart from the Photoshop CS5 application.
I tried a couple of test prints without switching from Adobe (ACE) in Photoshop CS5 Color management and the prints look great. It is nice to have the print plug in back in CS5. Apparently it is supposed to automatically prevent double profiling and you can turn off color management in the plug-in.

Gerald J Skrocki

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:23:06 pm »

Apparently it is supposed to automatically prevent double profiling and you can turn off color management in the plug-in.

I think you may be a bit confused here. The drivers prevent double profiling when Application Manages Color is chosen in the print dialog. However the application must be listed in the Canon drivers special casing file.

Unless things have changed in the new plugin you can set the plugin to manage color even though you may have converted to the printer profile in PS. You can always turn off or turn on CM in the plugin irregardless of what you did in PS, which could easily result in double profiling. But, that was user error. Are you tell me that has somehow changed with the new plugins?

jerryrock

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:42:18 am »

I think you may be a bit confused here. The drivers prevent double profiling when Application Manages Color is chosen in the print dialog. However the application must be listed in the Canon drivers special casing file.

Unless things have changed in the new plugin you can set the plugin to manage color even though you may have converted to the printer profile in PS. You can always turn off or turn on CM in the plugin irregardless of what you did in PS, which could easily result in double profiling. But, that was user error. Are you tell me that has somehow changed with the new plugins?

No, I'm not the one confused here. The Canon iPF Print Plug-in does not use the Photoshop print dialog, it is a separate print application utilized through file/export. These are new features advertised within the pop up window that appears when Photoshop CS5 starts up after installation of the plug-in. (see image below)

The new print plug in prevents double profiling by converting any color profile attached to the exported image to those listed in the plug-in print dialog menu. It gives you the option of using the OS color engine or the Adobe CMM color engine to convert the icc profile in the print-plug in menu. The other option is no color management.

However, I'm finding Adobe CMM to be unavailable for selection in the print plug-in leaving me to wonder if I have to turn it on somewhere other than in Photoshop.

Modifications from Ver.3.15.001
a) 64-bit version Photoshop has been supported.
b) Processing method of monochrome photograph printing has been changed to improve the representation of dark areas.
c) CMYK input has been supported.
d) The alignment sequence of the proof profile list has been changed, so that CMYK profile is displayed above RGB profile.
e) Changed so that media display appears by category.
f) Changed so that when using ICC V4 profile, OS standard CMM is available.
g) The startup method of Plug-In has been improved.
h) Adobe CMM has been supported. For Adobe CMM's support status of each operating system, please confirm with Adobe Systems Inc.
i) Printer simulation (proofing print) has been supported.
j) The numbers of registered Print History and Favorites have been modified as follows:
    - Print History: (before) maximum 100 cases -> (after) maximum 200 cases
    - Favorites: (before) maximum 50 cases -(after) maximum 200 cases
k) The print mode "Highest (Max. No. of Passes)" has been added. When choosing this mode, printing at high image quality with less graininess is performed.
l) Some of the user interfaces have been modified according to the latest specifications.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:32:42 am by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:24:08 am »

Adobe still doesn't support 64bit CMM for Mac, so there isn't any point in trying to use that yet.

My problem is that that Photoshop crashes when I hit Print. All the new functions/choices/etc work fine but soon as I click on Print...

OS 10.6.5 / CS5 (12.0.2) / iPF5100 - current firmware & driver

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:46:17 am »

No, I'm not the one confused here. The Canon iPF Print Plug-in does not use the Photoshop print dialog, it is a separate print application utilized through file/export. These are new features advertised within the pop up window that appears when Photoshop CS5 starts up after installation of the plug-in. (see image below)

The new print plug in prevents double profiling by converting any color profile attached to the exported image to those listed in the plug-in print dialog menu. It gives you the option of using the OS color engine or the Adobe CMM color engine to convert the icc profile in the print-plug in menu. The other option is no color management.

However, I'm finding Adobe CMM to be unavailable for selection in the print plug-in leaving me to wonder if I have to turn it on somewhere other than in Photoshop.

I don't see any changes as to selecting the profile to convert to or none. So preventing double profiling is is the same as it has always been in the plugin, up to the user. The change of selecting the conversion engine has nothing to do with double profiling.

Nothing in Canon's statement has anything to do with double profiling so where do you get this from?

hsmeets

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 08:02:29 am »

Using the canon print-plugin will steer you away of any exposure to the risk of double profiling under normal circumstances.

The only way to "double profile" with the canon print plugin is to convert your image in PS to the printerprofile and then print with plugin with the same profile selected in the dialog.

When the 64b plugin is run the first time it gives the option to download/install the adobe CMM. This is an optional step, not mandatory, It can also be done later on. The plugin will recognize that.

Canon here gives the option to use their own (or the version of the operating system, I'm not sure here) software/gamut mapping implementation or to use the Adobe implementation (for reasons of consistency as within the Adobe CS toolchain you are using the Adobe version until you print with the plugin).

Canon cannot use the CMM functions coded into PS itself but Adobe was once so nice to extract that code into a seperate module to be used by others.

Unfortunally the Adobe CMM function can only be used when PS (and indirect the canon plugin) is started in 32b mode, as the Adobe CMM tools is only 32b.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:07:51 am by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 08:52:36 am »

Using the canon print-plugin will steer you away of any exposure to the risk of double profiling under normal circumstances.

Exactingly what I was saying, nothing different than the previous plugins, but still the user must make the correct choice, unlike the driver which defaults to No Color Correction when application manages color is selected. Of course the user must make the correct choices in the application print dialog and driver media selections.

But there is nothing automatically preventing double profiling in the plug-in.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:09:55 am by Doyle Yoder »

MHMG

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 09:17:46 am »

The only way to "double profile" with the canon print plugin is to convert your image in PS to the printerprofile and then print with plugin with the same profile selected in the dialog.

Right, but this slightly more obtuse workflow, i.e., preconvert to destination profile using PS with chosen rendering intent then make sure to use the plugin with no color adjust setting , is IMHO, more convenient than editing in 64bit mode first then closing PS and restarting in 32bit mode just to obtain the relcol BPC feature in the Canon plugin. If I have to do that, I find it just as easy to reopen the edited image and print to the Canon plugin in my older copy of PSCS3.  I'm not complaining as most of my use of the updated Canon plugin will be with perceptual rendering, I'm just sayin'...

jerryrock

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:43:35 pm »

I don't see any changes as to selecting the profile to convert to or none. So preventing double profiling is is the same as it has always been in the plugin, up to the user. The change of selecting the conversion engine has nothing to do with double profiling.

Nothing in Canon's statement has anything to do with double profiling so where do you get this from?

The image I attached where it states "Prevents double application of profiles and color space shifts"

What is evident in the new plug-in is that profile conversion is happening with black point compensation in the cases of Photoshop CS5 32 bit and CS4.
In the previous version of the plug-in, double profiling was occurring and it was not evident that attached profiles were being converted.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:11:43 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

hsmeets

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 04:16:16 pm »

The image I attached where it states "Prevents double application of profiles and color space shifts"

The "Prevents double applicatio........" refers to using the regular PS print dialog that is followed with the printdialog of the operating system, in both you can do colormanagent, normally you choose either PS or Printerdriver to manage colors.

The plugin does not use the PS print dialog nor the Printer Driver Dialog, hence, no issue with posible double profiling under normal circumstances.

What is evident in the new plug-in is that profile conversion is happening with black point compensation in the cases of Photoshop CS5 32 bit and CS4.
In the previous version of the plug-in, double profiling was occurring and it was not evident that attached profiles were being converted.

In previous versions of the plugin there was also no double profiling going on.
Cheers,

Huib

hsmeets

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 04:21:09 pm »

Right, but this slightly more obtuse workflow, i.e., preconvert to destination profile using PS with chosen rendering intent then make sure to use the plugin with no color adjust setting , is IMHO, more convenient than editing in 64bit mode first then closing PS and restarting in 32bit mode just to obtain the relcol BPC feature in the Canon plugin. If I have to do that, I find it just as easy to reopen the edited image and print to the Canon plugin in my older copy of PSCS3.  I'm not complaining as most of my use of the updated Canon plugin will be with perceptual rendering, I'm just sayin'...

Boink! slap myself. ::)

Ofcourse, we can all forget about the Adobe CMM beeing only 32b for those that run PS in 64b mode: just do the conversion in PS just before printing and in the plugin: set the 'output profile' to none.
Cheers,

Huib
Pages: [1]   Go Up