Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoKit Sharpener 2 for Windows Beta  (Read 3992 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
PhotoKit Sharpener 2 for Windows Beta
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:45:35 pm »

Folks, we are coming down to the wire and wanted to invite a few interested Windows users who are currently PhotoKit Sharpener 1 users to do a quick round of beta testing...the ideal people will have both 32 and 64 bit dual boot systems and Photoshop CS5. (the 64-bit OS isn't mandatory but we want to test the installation of both 32 and 64 bit in the installer).

We have a beta page set up that will require a password to login. To get the password and do the testing, email me at jeff at pixelgenius dot com and be sure to put a subject of PKS2 Windows in the subject line.

For our Mac testers, we'll be posting what we think is the GM later today....I'll be sending out an email to alert you.

Schewe

Re: PhotoKit Sharpener 2 for Windows Beta
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 11:58:03 am »

Just a note to any of you sitting on the fence...don't be shy! We could use a couple more Windows testers...the primary consideration at this point if a current customer and Photoshop CS5 and Windows...so email me at the spelled out email address above...

Michael West

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »

Please let us know when you are ready for MAC beta testers.

Thank you.

I've been checking the PK site daily since your earlier annuncement.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:00:39 am »

Please let us know when you are ready for MAC beta testers.
You've missed the boat, sadly, by a couple of months. See this.

You'll have to join the rest of us, waiting anxiously for the release!

Jeremy

Michael West

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:29:46 am »

You've missed the boat, sadly, by a couple of months. See this.

You'll have to join the rest of us, waiting anxiously for the release!

Jeremy

Such is life.  The fourth quarter is nearly complete so I suspect it wont be too long now, anyway.

Thank you

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 04:34:53 pm »

Droool.... ;D

BobShram

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 11:25:56 am »

When do you think it will be ready Schewe.

Do you think it would be possible to be able to order a hard copy of this? I for one would pay a bit extra for this service.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:09:46 pm by BobShram »

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:25:16 pm »

The release is "imminent" but I can't really state a date yet (could be next week though).

As far as ordering a CD for physical shipment, yes you can but note it is the EXACT same installer that is available for download from both the PG Store as well as the PG web sire's Download pages...so it's not like you get anything different and the CD is locked into the then, current version which is likely to be updated over time.

So, your call but we really don't suggest getting the CD version unless you don't have net access...you'll ALWAYS be able to download the "current" version.

ravel03

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 11:47:50 am »

I'm really looking forward.

I think that the auto-edge detection for Capture Sharpening is going to be a real winner for PG.

Ever since Process 2010 was introduced, I'm having a real hard time evaluating proper Capture Sharpening. I'm always finding myself dialing down the Details panel to values between 5-10 and cranking up mask so I only sharpen the edges. Every time I crank up Details or dial down the masking, I get this ugly "crunchiness" all around. I know, it's all about the frequency of the image, and I can play with radius an volume,  but I tell you, evaluating Capture Sharpening on my own is not an easy task. Especially knowing that if you don't do a good job there, then the Output Sharpening might suffer from it (I believe that they're somehow linked together).

Workflow wise, I could see myself going back to what I once did:
  • work on tonality and colors in ACR
  • turn off Capture Sharpening
  • create PKS actions to Capture Sharpen and Output Sharpen
  • us Image Processor an call in the above actions

This calls for more TIFFs, but at least, I've got someone else to do Capture Sharpening for me...

Schewe

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 06:36:55 pm »

The only comment I would make is to consider using ACR's noise reduction even if you turn the sharpening in ACR off because it's really good and if applied prior to PKS2's Capture Sharpen produces good results...and even a well exposed lower ISO image can often need noise reduction-parlticularly if you do any exposure or brightness increases–which enhances noise.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42:03 pm »

The only comment I would make is to consider using ACR's noise reduction even if you turn the sharpening in ACR off because it's really good and if applied prior to PKS2's Capture Sharpen produces good results...and even a well exposed lower ISO image can often need noise reduction-parlticularly if you do any exposure or brightness increases–which enhances noise.

The noise reduction at low ISOs at first seemed counterintuitive to me...but when you added ex and br increases ENHANCE noise I pulled up a couple 50 and 100 ISO files, candlelight and astronomical twilight, and I was amazed at 200% what I was seeing playing with the noise reduction....Is it that there is something built in to the CS5 Camera Raw NR that counteracts what I had thought was too much softening...the luminance detail seems to do a great job of bringing things back...I'm too dumb for this, but love when a tip like this makes SO much difference...thankyou...I love PKS and will jump on the 2 when it is ready...  pat
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up