Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: about the Phase One P30+  (Read 13206 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Q: about the Phase One P30+
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 03:00:21 pm »

Try to develop the files at 800 and 1600 iso with adobe camera raw 6.0 or earler with the default settings... it's a different world from capture one. the big problem could be the colors of the image... capture one is better, but with high iso sucks...

:-)

I would give the exact opposite advice. But it's very largely a matter of taste. One thing almost everyone agrees with is the defaults in Capture One for high ISO are often pretty bad - at defaults for ISO1600 on a P30+ it smears details and leaves a blotchy painter-like image. 30 seconds in the details pane tweaking to what you prefer and a "save as default" will solve that forever :-).

An article I wrote on the topic:
http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/12/03/noise-reduction-in-c1-6/

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

ziocan

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 11:34:29 pm »

Please tell me this isn't true.

It is true.

My "watch" battery is a bit tired and when I do not use the back for more than a week or two, when I turn it on, it asks to set date and time.
Of course I dismiss the message and I can care less.

It has to be said that a part for this warranty/racket thingy, the lousy lcd, Phase backs are pretty much bullet proof. On tethered shooting they are faultless.
Yesterday, I did a shoot for a magazine that does not pay all the bells and whistles, so we did not hire a digital tech (sorry!). we loaded C1, plugged in the back and made 10 folders on the hard drive and we did not had anybody attending the computer the whole day, a part for setting the capture folder at the begin of each new cut and setting white balance on the first few shots. when we went to have lunch, we just pulled the plug from the back, plugged it back in after lunch, and the "thing" did not even ask for anything and was ready to shoot.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:47:48 pm by ziocan »

ziocan

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 12:01:20 am »

Try to develop the files at 800 and 1600 iso with adobe camera raw 6.0 or earler with the default settings... it's a different world from capture one. the big problem could be the colors of the image... capture one is better, but with high iso sucks...
I have to agree with this one.
For high fles (especially sony), the difference is night and day. We can tweak in any possible manner all the sliders on every tab of C1, but it will never get close to L3 or ACR6 results.
On Sony files, the Adobe converters are better/crispier than C1 even at 100 iso. There is a bit of a myth that colors and skin tones are better in C1, but it may not be true for Sony files. Anyway, IMO, fabrics and skins (sony files) turn out better with Adobe raw engine.
http://www.alpha-numerique.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=536:comparatif-de-logiciels-a-hauts-iso-6-sony-alpha-900&catid=70:comparatifs&Itemid=321
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:14:33 pm by ziocan »

bcooter

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 01:29:00 pm »

It is true.

My "watch" battery is a bit tired and when I do not use the back for more than a week or two, when I turn it on, it asks to set date and time.
Of course I dismiss the message and I can care less.

Phase backs are virtually bullet proof, though anything can stop working.

I don't know the exact repair prices from Phase, but was walking by rental the other day and asked what the price of the "watch" battery repair was.   They weren't exact but they said for Phase to look at any problem with your back, out of warranty is around $500, to repair anything mechanical is around $2,000, so I assume that includes the "watch" battery.

Having exact time/date doesn't matter that much unless you use multiple cameras (I do), so that changes the way you sort images and increases the work load).

Right now we're building a carnet for a shoot in Europe and I hesitate even taking the Phase backs with me.  After all we're carrying the RED, the Canons, Some LED and HMI lighting and I start thinking do we really want to carry a camera system that needs the date and time set every time you turn it on?

That's the rub on medium format and what makes you go from using it for every shoot, to deciding to only use it in exact controlled conditions.  Then when it comes time to buy new, do you really want to go through the same process again, or say to heck with it and go with either Canon or Nikon?

Once again, nobody minds paying for fair repair prices, or even a warranty but the system is so jacked that the warranty becomes a fear buy.   Nobody likes being forced into anything, which I find to be such strange marketing.

The medium format segment is constantly looking at new ways to gain market share, from amateur seminars to selling to the technical and government crowd, but there is a whole world of entry level photographers that would use medium format if they could afford it. 

A lot of this group could and would buy a medium format camera, until they hear this repair/warranty process.  At that point it's back to their 5d's.

IMO

BC

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 01:41:16 pm »

On Sony files, the Adobe converters are better/crispier than C1 even at 100 iso. There is a bit of a myth that colors and skin tones are better in C1, but it may not be true for Sony files. Anyway, IMO, fabrics and skins (sony files) turn out better with Adobe raw engine.

In my experience both statements are true.
- Generally colors, skin tone, detail rendition, and sense of depth, are better in C1.
- LR3 does a much better job in most regards on Sony files.

My statements regarding C1 quality would extend to what we have the most experience with: Phase/Leaf/Canon/Nikon/M8/M9. I don't think they apply for high ISO Sony files.

Just goes to show you that you can't trust general consensus and you have to test for yourself. Sony users (though a minority) should check out both software packages for sure especially if they shoot a lot at high ISO as I think highly of the way LR3 treats those specific files.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up