Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying The Flag  (Read 2037 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Flying The Flag
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:00:18 am »

The next frame from the Rally. This, for those who don't know, is of course the Cornish flag.

John

Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

stamper

Re: Flying The Flag
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:54:39 am »

Nice tonal treatment but I find it overall a bit cluttered. I don't think you can avoid this however if you want the flag to be part of the scene? BTW I know someone who lives in Scotland who hails from Cornwall. He emphatically denies being English. Do you concur? :)

John R Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:28:19 am »

Well, I'm not Cornish but I do have a great-great grandfather who came from Redruth so perhaps I just sneak in. Proper Cornish people are certainly not English, that's for sure, whether they proclaim it or not. Perhaps the best-known Cornish photographer is Roger Hicks, who writes the back page in Amateur Photographer most weeks.

You are right about the clutter, but that just goes with this kind of photography, I think. You can't pose people, or move objects, or influence the scene in any way. You just have to accept what is there in front of you, in terms of subject and light, and then try to catch the moment. Usually you have to work very quickly, otherwise the moment is gone. It's the same with the horsebox shot. I couldn't walk up to her and say "Good afternoon, do you mind if I just close this door behind you because it is a distracting element in my photograph?" I have to deal with what is there. So yes, it is photo-journalism rather than carefully crafted photography like landscape or still-life or even portrait work.

There is, I think, a difference between this and what is called "Street Photography". What I am not doing is allowing myself the luxury of shooting frames which are simply good photographs in themselves, but have no context. And there would have been quite a few of those. All these pictures have to relate clearly to the rally and what is going on, and the people in the pictures have to have a role within the event taking place, either as spectators or participants. Which, of course, makes thing a lot more difficult, but is supposed to give the pictures a purpose. That's because I have never had any interest whatsoever in taking photographs which are interesting images as "art", but don't tell a story of some sort about where I live, what we do and who I am within all this.

Whether I succeed in any of this is, of course, for you to judge. Think "Picture Post", those of you who are old enough. Bill Brandt was jolly good at this sort of thing, although better known for other genres.

And we end up with a large number of reject frames, the ones which really are rubbish. The ones I am showing you here are the ones that made the cut, the least crap ones. I do of course accept that they won't mean a great deal to someone who isn't particularly interested in the strange rituals which take place on windswept fields all over Cornwall in the summer. And they are intended to form part of a continuing project, not necessarily to stand alone.

John
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:37:31 am by John R Smith »
an

DickKirkley

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:01:07 pm »

Hi John; A solid defense and explanation of your style and purpose. Bravo!

I have just finished reading Tony Blairs " A Journey- my political life" in which he offers a remarkable defence of his term as PM. You weren't in politics were you ?

Regards
Dick K.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »

Not politics, perhaps: masochism.

I'd rather just enjoy photography than bend my mind trying to project messages nobody else can read. I do believe that Picture Post thing lies at the root of many photographer problems in the UK as does Life in the States. There's this whole hangup about photojournalism and what it is/was. I remember both publications and they died, along with their clones - Illustrated, any UK readers? - because they had run their course. Time moves on, as I found to my own commercial cost, and you just have get up and move right along with it or go to grass, much as I have.

The first thing that's going to defeat anyone trying that footsteps-of trick is that, unless they actually do have a publication to fill, they have no text. All of those guys we revere today, who worked in that line, were fully supported, if not sidelined somewhat, by the writers.

Pictures on their own, outwith a gallery and the decorative function, won't do. It becomes an exercise in futility.

Rob C

John R Smith

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 05:05:23 am »

I'd rather just enjoy photography than bend my mind trying to project messages nobody else can read.

Rob

I certainly do enjoy my photography, in fact I simply wouldn't bother with a camera if I didn't. As to messages, first and foremost the message is for me, not for anyone else. I have photographs going back to when I was twelve or so, and they are a kind of ongoing visual essay which documents the subjects and places which interested me at the time. I get a great deal of pleasure from looking back through them.

The first thing that's going to defeat anyone trying that footsteps-of trick is that, unless they actually do have a publication to fill, they have no text. All of those guys we revere today, who worked in that line, were fully supported, if not sidelined somewhat, by the writers.

Pictures on their own, outwith a gallery and the decorative function, won't do. It becomes an exercise in futility.

As luck would have it, I am quite nifty with a keyboard. I haven't kept count, but over the last thirty years I must have written many, many thousands of words of text, mostly in technical reports, articles and so forth on historical and archaeological subjects. Most of my pictures are actually intended to be illustrations for some sort of published text or other, not to be printed to 24x36 ins and hung in a gallery. Good heavens, I've never sold a photograph as a picture to hang on a wall in my life, and I never expect to either. But it is much easier to sell a book or an article to a publisher if you can provide your own illustrations to go with it, free of copyright issues.

The people I admire in this game (they would include Fay Godwin, James Ravillious, Edwin Smith, John Piper) were not "art" photographers and in the main they sold very few or no prints at all. They illustrated books by others or wrote their own. And they managed in the process to distill a very personal vision of the English and their interaction with the landscape in which we live and work. I am not looking to plough a different furrow or break the mould in some way. In fact, the more "old-fashioned" my pictures look, the better I like it.

And I suppose I should just close by mentioning that this is "A solid defense and explanation of my style and purpose", but not a defense of the pictures themselves - their virtues and failings are for you to judge, of course.

John
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:32:21 am by John R Smith »
an

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:55:20 pm »

I think I remember asking you if you were familiar with the James Ravilious oeuvre when I first became aware of your work; I'd heard of him a long time ago - probably via the pages of the olde BJP - and then a friend sent me a DVD of his work and later life story. He had the luck of sponsorship with a sort of local community thing in Cornwall, I think, that kept him going, and then he also had other strings to his bow, having been trained as an artist in the footsteps of his father, a successful one.

Then he died.

That last sentence scares the hell out of me; not that I fear death as such, other than associated suffering, but that it seems such a friggin' waste of life and a life's worth of experience; it should be bankable...

I've been looking at words'n'pictures too as a way out of retirement and terminal boredom; the little research I've managed to do convinces me that magazines are useless for me - they are so rights greedy that unless I were the starving artist, which thankfully I am not, I would avoid them now at all costs. I suspect that there's something pioneering to be done via the internet - some form of running one's own small 'magazine' site, maybe some sort of warehouse for stock articles - and either selling articles from it on a one-off basis to each paper medium/outlet that may be interested - bringing in advertising of some kind - who quite knows... I just have this feeling that a whole new world awaits out there if we can but figure it out.

I wish you luck with your own journey; at least you know how to shoot good pictures!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up